Booster Plug

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Kenneth Webb, Nov 27, 2012.

1. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    I would install it when the motor isn't running well enough to suit you. Mileage should make no difference.
  2. megatiker75 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZX6R 2001
    I do not think there 'no contraindication to also install it immediately. And 'much more dangerous and deletereo for the engine a lean mixture rather than fat. and you know, ... today's bikes are all carburate TOO skinny!
  3. chris1261 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada
    Sooner rather than later.
  4. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    BP is an OK choice if you can't solder but if you can & want a cleaner install & consistent performance under the widest ambient temps then look at :eek:The Eruption!!!:eek: thread. :)
  5. eca Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Interceptor (sold)
    Anytime IMO, Makes a big difference, and I haven't notised any eventual return "stock" settings that others have seen.
  6. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    No need to wait, get it right away.
  7. Wadejesu Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD, Ducati, Triumph, Aprilia
    Find the December issue of Motorcycle Consumer news, They did an article on it.
  8. RallyRex Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 Husaberg FE390
    Wuka King aficionados, have you seen any issues at low outside temps?

Today it was around 25 degrees out, and when I fired up the bike I got the check engine light. I noticed the temp gauge didn't show a reading, just dashes. I thought to check the Wuka switch, which was set to cold, so I and flipped it to hot just to see what that would do (lowering the offset). The temp immediately started to register (less offset), and the check engine light went off. I speculate that when temperature reads below zero (or some other minimum threshold), the bike throws the check engine light. . . have any of you experienced this before?
    Dinosan likes this.
  9. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Sensor is probably going into error zone due to low ambient temp + high offset. Snowflake on dash should glow below 3 degC or 37degF.
  10. Dinosan Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 WR360, Honda CRF230 & XR50
    Had the exact same thing happen. WUKA doesn't like it that cold. Like you, this was only on the really cold days.
  11. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    Good report & it tells us a little more about these bikes & cold wx. I'm assuming you mean 25F. How did it run in the hot vs cold position at that temp? Any signs of running rich or lean?

Yes, others have experienced it, apparently the bike will throw the CEL when it's below a certain temp or when it thinks ala spoofer it's below a certain temp.
  12. RallyRex Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 Husaberg FE390
    25F, yes. It seemed to run fine in the "hot" mode. I do wonder if the bike will run fine with the check engine light on, when its cold enough to cause this issue to crop up. Will it be in some sort of limp mode? Or will it run okay despite the light being on? I didn't test this yesterday.
  13. Mark Nave Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    FE570
    I bought a spare IAT ($15) and followed "The Eruption" instructions, works fine for me and I can easily go back if I want. Took about 30 minutes to make and install with the parts and tools on hand. The IAT is removable without tools, only a clip and the electrical connection. As everyone notes, there is a small snowflake flashing on the dash but it's hardly noticeable. My bike runs better but I doubt I'll ever have it out in freezing weather so I can't comment on the extreme cold conditions. My bike was MOSS'ed before hand, still lean at idle and had a touch of hesitation but all is good now, well worth the effort and I Thank You for posting the information.
    mag00 and run-it like this.
  14. Hansi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 Versys

Mine was running normal with the check engine light on. Have a Wukka King and was riding in temps just below 27 degrees F. Switched from blue to red mode at next stop, check engine light has been off since.
  15. LainattheWired Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Mine started running pretty poorly around 18 degrees F. Have a stock iat to switch to when it gets below freezing.
  16. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    Yeah when you switched to red the offset lessens (like RR mentioned). So the ecu thinks it's cooler than what it really is outside but warmer than the blue setting. :thinking: :) Warm enough to make the CEL switch off. I don't know what the logic is behind having the CEL illuminate in cold weather. There may be no fault present but for some reason the engineers are/were concerned about something in cold weather. At 27F the ecu would think you're in -9F (cold/blue position).
  17. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    I'm thinking it will run OK with the CEL on but if you happen to be out again in those temps compare red & blue settings, use acceleration to compare (throttle movement) & let us know how it goes. If engine temps won't come up consider taping off (blocking) some of the radiator.
  18. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Heya Run-it, good info there. I ordered thermisters today so that I could build the Eruption. I'm getting ready for warm weather early.
  19. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Eruption Spoofer - I made up mine and a friends yesterday. I rode this morning without problem but he just rode about 8 miles into town from his rural home and he said it ran brilliantly without stumbles or hiccups. But, as he was riding he was watching his temperature gauge. It showed 8* F which is accurate because it was 28* outside.

As he rode, he watched the temperature drop on the dash until it went to 0* and then the "check engine" light came on. He went home and read his manual and likely was referenced to contact his dealer.

He then rode rode back to town to do grocery shopping with everything normal again. But as the temps dropped on the dash his "check engine" light came on again without any noticeable problem or changes of any kind in the engine or how it was running. He said it ran wonderful. I am thinking that the engineers have a default "It's too freaking cold to ride a motorcycle you dumbass so, I'm turning on the check engine light indicator".

This default must be set to zero degrees at which time the CEL is activated but doesn't shut things down. Thoughts?

Edit: I read this entire thread and was wondering if the Eruption would benefit from a temperature offset switch? Perhaps just using one or a few of the thermistor's when it is really cold?
    mag00 likes this.
  20. LainattheWired Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    My eruption works great, until it gets too cold. I went back to stock for now since the temps are cold enough to cause problems. Around 10 degrees or so is when it starts misbehaving. What is odd is, now it runs
    fine without having any of the stumble it does when it is warmer. Will see how it does come spring time when I will swap back to the modded one.