Booster Plug

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Kenneth Webb, Nov 27, 2012.

1. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

Mate, still probably the best $100 I've spent on this bike that wasn't petrol. I bought the plug with the hot and cold setttings for above/below 35c according to the blurb, but i've never used it on the hot setting. (Can't remember if i rode in much over 35° weather last summer, probably not). He makes another plug with the single cold setting. If I had to buy it again i'd probably buy the cheaper one and spend the diff on beer.
    If you read these threads you read some people who use more complex electronics saying that the booster plugs get adapted out by the ECU, but this is not my experience, and after 10,000km I disconnected the wuka and went back to stock and the bike started behaving like it did when it was new. Put the wuka back on and its all good again. If your bike had a tendency to stall and stumble I'd definitely invest in one of these plugs or the eruption mod if you're more into tinkering.
  2. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Interesting, of all the things I've tried the Wuka isn't one of them, yet, everyone that has one gives them the same recommendation you do Nev. The ECU must see something different on the WUKA bit whatever it is, it remains a mystery to me. As for the Eruption, the ECU negated that mod in less than a 1000 miles.
  3. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    For what it's worth I didn't have such luck with the Wuka. The ECU would adapt to it after 2-3k miles. I'd have to have the ECU mossed to reset, then connect the Wuka again to get it to work. After 3 or 4 times of that I think I'm done with it.
  4. rride Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada 650, someday
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F650 Strada, Kawasaki Versys 650
    Wow, I've got a 1997 Strada (BMW) 650 and was about to consider the Ducati engineered Husky top end made in China engine, except all this wuki talk is alarming. From my non-educated experience, it sounds like EFI low-mid rpm lagging: something inherent in single cylinder EFI engine physics w/o high revs. The wheels, the USD suspension, the top end are compelling though: EFI, lack of standard options, and China built engine not as much. I may go test ride one today. O/W backcutting my trans gears (which I'd have to do on a Husky Strada as well) and a del Orto single carb (like on 1997 KTM Duke 640) may be my best alternative. Either way would be good, but 3 bikes is too much (since I already have 2).

17 pages, ha ha, its like the "how do I set my Racetech suspension up" thread on (F650) Chain gang site. If the engine was built in Europe, I'd probably have less reservations; but the efi wooooo does not cut it when Gramps is on my tail in a fast Crown Vic about to run over me. I'll just have to stub my toe on my test ride so I don't grin when I come back. I had assumed the higher compression Husky used over the higher compression BMW engine used to combat the single cylinder efi dilemma may have been enough. From all reports, racers like it because it will fly in upper rpm's, but that's what old farts like me like about thumps: not using the fatiguing high rpms routinely. It may be a racers bike mainly. I noticed some Adventure trails riders sold theirs, maybe because high rpms and trails are not best to keep the bike upright. It looks like a thrill though and I do need to check the off-road USD suspension out (for riding on the street). The Husky Strada definitely beats anything in the racer class from expert reviews. Peace.
  5. Lomax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Lots of them
    When I bought mine it had the Wuka hi/low plug on it and I have never been able to get a good explanation of which setting I should use.

For all you experts out there running this setup please enlighten me. :excuseme:

Marc
  6. oconnor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    How does the ECU figure out it is being spoofed? I have trouble believing this can happen if there is only the one sensor.
  7. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    I see Nev stating that his bike does not seem to have adapted out the Wuka plug.
    I have heard a few others that say theirs did not either.
    Until I had some issues with this summers heat & humidity, I have to say mine did not show any signs of adapting over about 4000 miles.

I am curious if the "adapters" have another issue going on with their bikes.
    Perhaps not adapting to the spoofer, but defaulting to some basic EFI map or settings.
    Or perhaps something else is causing it to run leaner & leaner like a faulty/miscalibrated O2 sensor.
  8. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    ECU doesn't figure out it is being spoofed just keeps trying to adjust to the 14.7:1 air ratio because even though you are telling it that the air is colder the CO/co2 ratio in the exhaust is telling it that the air/fuel ratio is too rich. mine became almost impossible to start on the 5000KM Phillip Island round trip when the temp got up to and above 40deg Celcius ( that's shade temp for our US cousins not sun temp) on the way home ( after being down to 1deg C on the way there).
    Almost impossible to start now. I am going to a Power Commander and that will dummy out the sensor signal and go prob to 13.8:1 rather that full power 13.2-12.8.
  9. Snow Dog Aus Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Terra 650
    Here you go!
    http://www.wukaking.com/[/quote]
    Is this link working for everyone else
    I'm trying and it seems the web page is broken
    Is it because I live in Australia?
  10. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Its not you.

The guy who was making & selling the Wuka king plug seems to have gone out of business.
    Snow Dog Aus likes this.
  11. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    you don't need it
    WayneC and Snow Dog Aus like this.