Booster Plug

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Kenneth Webb, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Ignaciob Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada --> Terra (aka Noxeema)
    Other Motorcycles:
    05 Yamaha FJR (x2), 75 Honda CB400F
    Is it remotely possible? Sure. Anything and everything is possible.

But, you're talking about adjusting mixture slightly...not extraordinarily. I'm not an SAE member or design motorcycle engines for a living, but I can't imagine it hurting catalyst in any way.

Personally, I think the defective air cleaner design is an order two magnitude more risky than the Booster Plug.

But, if you're worried that much and looking for some sort of guarantee...don't do it then. Caveat emptor.
    mag00 likes this.
  2. chris1261 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada
    I've got the wukka king power controller on mine right now. Everything else is stock. you may notice the exhaust tips get a little black soot around them, other then that there's nothing to worry about. All the booster plug is doing is fooling the computer into enrichening the mixture a little.

--Chris
    Katten likes this.
  3. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Dude, now that is a hot button issue for me. I pulled my cleaner yesterday and about pooped my pants at the horrible, ineffective design. This needs a topic of its own. I wonder how much of the issues can and will be fixed if a proper air filter were installed on the TR650.

My lawnmower has a better filter.
    PaulC likes this.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I cant see how all it does it trick the EFI into thinking it is 20 degrees colder outside so it makes it richer. As the bike runs lean to pass EPA I can only think the richer EFI will only make the bike last longer.
  5. Ignaciob Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada --> Terra (aka Noxeema)
    Other Motorcycles:
    05 Yamaha FJR (x2), 75 Honda CB400F
    It already does.....here....and maybe even another place. It certainly shouldn't go in this thread. :)
  6. Trapperj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200 GS RALLY..KLR 650..Zrx 1200
    Done some unscientific studies between the booster plug & Poolsides IICE AIR. All the research I had done led me to believe that the BP & IICE air did the same thing. Well my experience shows that not to be true. I first ran the BP I had purchased used from another member..it was unused in the original package. Simple install. Made a big difference as all have seen that's done it. I also had a IICE air on order that finally came in. ( I knew when I purchased he was back logged ) the difference I was able to see first hand was from the temp. Difference between the two. The IICE air was said to be the same as the BP..but the lowest temp reading I could get on my TR was either the same...-10...or -20 degrees with the IICE AIR...I did try all the positions. The BP was non adjustable and read a consistent -40 less on the temp guage. In fact, the little snowflake that warns of ice is on most of the time in the summer.

I can tell a bigger difference with the BP. I've had zero stalls with the BP installed. With the IICE air I will still get a rare stall and more frequent hick-up similar to stock...just not nearly as pronounced or as often. Both make a difference. The IICE is less $ but the BP seems to work better IMHO on the TR. It's worth noting here that on my R1200 GS the IICE air seems to work better. Take this info with a grain of salt as I am no scientist....but I did try and be subjective.
    nev.., bluegopher and Katten like this.
  7. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    I installed the Wuka King about 3 months ago and was initially impressed. It seemed to take care of all the problems but recently it has started to run just like it did before the install. I'm trying to figure out if the device itself has failed. It's still showing a drop in temperature on the dash display but other than that I don't know of any way to test it. Thoughts?
    William Clark likes this.
  8. Trapperj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    You know, now that I think about it....I wonder if the gizmo works well at first then perhaps the bike adapts after a set number of on & offs..(key cycles) ?? I believe I experienced the same thing...but after switching from the BP to IICE air and now back to the BP...it's running great again...we may be onto something here...may be as simple as unhooking your battery every so often. I know this much....my TR runs better right now than it has in awhile.....and I'm pretty sensitive to changes. With the BP! my temp is 40 degrees less than stock. The snow flake was with me all day today....kinda cool I reckon. I just wish it'd continue to run the way it's running...mileage is low to mid 50s...great idle...no surging at cruise...loves to rev. Doesn't mine a roll on from say 2200 RPMs up. Really seems dialed in at the moment!
  9. William Clark Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 yamaha rt100 (sons bike)

I would try to reset the computer on the bike. i dont know if it is like my cars but an ecu rteset can be done by pulling the positive wire from the batt for about 10 min. and touch it to the neg side for a sec before re installing. if not you may need to take it in and ask for a ecu reset My bilke is running better and better as time goes on. i am at 1000 miles and now the front is starting to come up in second gear.....no plug yet but i am getting one soon!
  10. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    I disconnected the positive post of the battery for 1 minute and then hooked it back up. I really didn't expect any change but to my great surprise it seems to have worked. Temp here was about 94 degrees and the bike ran just fine. Hmmm... I wonder if this will work for others. I'm happy! Thanks guys for the idea.
    Coffee and William Clark like this.
  11. Trapperj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    I too, have had similar results that were puzzling. After switching from BP to IICE air & back to BP all is good...(best of ones I've tried) no adjustment...but doesn't need one IMHO. Main reasoning for trying the IICE was I had it on the shelf...and was thinking my temp readout woukd be -20 instead of -40 plus the adjustments it has. Reportedly they have the same effect but I couldn't get the IICE to read -40 regardless of how it was adjusted. The TR just runs best with the BP.
    Not to worry though as I can screw that up as well....looking at the exhaust and PC w/auto tune. That'll mess things up for sure. When will I learn to leave a fine running machine alone!.?
    bluegopher likes this.
  12. Katten Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 KTM 250exc-f
    I just had some time left to install the booster plug. Very easy to do, needed no help from my boyfriend ;) took the Terra for a test ride and it seems to work great! I provoked the bike, going on really low engine speed, just small throttle moves, trying to get it to stall. But it didn't! Happy! :)
  13. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I'm fairly sure the efi software "learns" and eventually will make adjustments to run poorly/lean. Still experimenting on my bike with the booster plug.
    William Clark likes this.
  14. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.
    Coffee said:
    I'm fairly sure the efi software "learns" and eventually will make adjustments to run poorly/lean. Still experimenting on my bike with the booster plug.

But what's to learn? The bike should be running perfectly for the 20 or 40 degree lower temperature that it thinks it is running in. I understand that some bikes can learn things like free'er flowing exhausts and compensate by richening the a/f mixture. But learning the booster plug would be in the realm of artificial intelligence. The bike would be thinking, ok, this booster is telling me it is 20 degrees cooler outside, but I am smarter than the booster, so I will just add 20 degrees and show him who the really smart one is. :D
  15. Trapperj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    I believe that's what happened with my IICE air. Or perhaps the Huskys ECU just adapts more quickly to the IICE air compared to the B/P. it's been on this last time approaching 1k mles..( maybe a bit more) and hasn't leaned up any yet as far as I can tell. It reduced the temp gauge by -40...the IICE dIdnt do so much. 20 degrees less give or take. I tried all 4 positions. One is unchanged. The BP just does better on the TR IMHO. On my GS the IICE air is tops....again YMMV!
  16. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    No, the ecu could easily "learn" to accommodate the booster plug, it would be very simple to do that.

While I could get into a technical discussion, I'd rather not at the moment.

By the way, I've noticed you taking the time to copy/paste what others have said, just in case you did not know there is a 'reply' button which makes that much easier.

Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 12.54.07 PM.png
  17. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    Actually I see Coffee's point. It doesn't require "artificial intelligence" , although systems using feedback loops can be described as "expert systems". It has a way of knowing that something is not right....the O2 sensor. It is expecting a gas mix of a certain set of ratios ( ie lean side of good) and it keeps getting a ratio on the good side of good. If it is a closed loop type of system it will learn to reduce the amount fuel input for a given sensored temperature. Question is if it is a closed loop type system.
  18. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I am quite sure there are multiple control loops, some open, and some closed, for several reasons. All of them quite probably have coefficients in the control loops which can be re-written in the non-volatile and volatile ram.
  19. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    "All of them quite probably have coefficients in the control loops which can be re-written in the non-volatile and volatile ram"
    And the means to access and modify them?
    I am researching Sally's new KTM 690 Duke at the moment. It has 2 . A low speed closed loop system and a upper rpm open .
    mag00 likes this.
  20. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.
    Coffee said:

By the way, I've noticed you taking the time to copy/paste what others have said, just in case you did not know there is a 'reply' button which makes that much easier.

When I first joined the forum 'Reply' worked just fine. Now, not so much.

The following error occurred:

Media Type Blocked
    This file is blocked, because its detected media type violates policy.
    URL:
    Filename:
    Media Type (detected): application/x-www-form-urlencoded
    Media Type (from file name):