Best Spark Plug 4 Terra: Show me your PLUGS

Discussion in 'TR650' started by mag00, Aug 6, 2014.

1. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Just whacked some Pulstars in mine last week. Initially, I noticed no difference at all, but within 25-50kms there was a distinct improvement. I wouldn't say any additional peak power (at least not discernible to me) but definitely much improved throttle response and bottom end power - great for ripping off the line which works great in city commuting conditions. I'm still getting occasional deceleration stalling with a back firing through the throttle body from time to time. Not generally an issue if I give it a fat blip on the throttle - just a minor annoyance.
  2. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Unfortunately they are longer than the standard NGK ones for this bike.
    I know it's the same on the Husky but there's no extra height available on the Sprint as the airbox sits quite close to the top of the cam cover and the extra height and inability to seal the plug welss is too much of an issue.
    What to do with 3 Pulstars?
  3. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Well, I went to install the Pulstar plugs today. First thing I noticed is poor build quality.
    Notice the length of the center electrode and angle of the ground.

pulstar.jpg

So I installed them, somewhat baffled at quality control and guess what? Bike started way worse and ran real bad and the check engine light came on. Checked all wires connections etc, no issues. Changed back to the stock and it ran normal and check engine light went out after a few seconds.

Not a happy camper. Glad those of you who purchased Pulstar have had good luck. I'm going back to Brisk.
    PaulC and Mark_H like this.
  4. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    You have the GS911 now so did you check what fault code came up ?, the % chances are one plug lead was not fully pushed home, happens to the best of people sooner or later. Going back to a non capacitive plug is a waste of time, they simply cannot do what a capacitive plug does. If you think there is a build problem with the Pulstars as delivered to you contact Pulstar, I am sure they would sort it out
    engineerk9 likes this.
  5. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    My GS911 is not here yet, I believe it was in the Fedex truck wreck in Nashville. Twisted Throttle is sending me another one and turning the other one back whenever they locate it. Yes, fedex cannot find its whereabouts.

Build quality and consistency is poor at best on the pulstar. We shall see how they handle this issue.
  6. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Pleased to hear they are replacing those plugs and indicated a defective batch escaped the factory, all of them I have seen have been good build quality
    engineerk9 likes this.
  7. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I sent them back for refund, no mention was made of replacing them. I'll wait and see what to do after I get my money back. I have tried contacting Pulstar, but nobody home. I couldn't buy from Pulstar as their shopping cart does not work with my mac. I bought from an ebay seller, who has treated me fairly through this.
  8. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    There is the possibility those plugs were a chinese clone without the capacitive component, build quality on all Pulstars I have seen has been good
    engineerk9 likes this.
  9. Scott Jones Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 Kawasaki KLR 250 2016 Beta XT
    +1 on the Pulstars. I did not notice a distinct difference at first just puttering around the property but went on a 50-ish mile ride yesterday - mostly gravel & dirt, with some hills that make me use 4WD on my Toyota due to wash boarding - and it was quite noticeably better on the throttle in second and third. Wish I could find a reasonably priced injector here in the US.

Question: Would or should it take some time and a tankfull of gas for the Pulstar effect to be felt? Or am I just imagining it because I was actually goosing it some yesterday?
  10. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    There are two aspects to be considered, firstly trims will adjust over a tank of fuel, secondly the adaption tables need to be reset and rebuilt using diagnostics
    The resident guinea pig here in Sydney has swapped to Pulstar without an adaption table reset and has an ear to ear grin at the moment :)
    engineerk9 and Scott Jones like this.
  11. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    I too have the ear to ear grin. I just replaced my OEM NGK for the Pulstars. What a difference. I noticed a quicker start and more grunt in all gears. New Supersprox 47/16 sprockets and a GPR V4 steering stabalizer have put a permanent grin on my face. Still trying to figure out where the O-rings go. I installed the new Pulstars and coil but O-ring :doh:
    engineerk9 likes this.
  12. LED Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Post 1 in this thread shows where the o-ring was used. Some haven't bothered with the o-ring.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/ra...-or-as-close-as-we-may-get-tr650-husky.80593/
  13. Scott Jones Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 Kawasaki KLR 250 2016 Beta XT
    I figgered out the o-ring placement and am sure they're responsible for at least 6 hp and 12 mpg improvement!

On the other hand, my neighbor borrowed my dynometer thingy and I haven't actually checked the fuel mileage since I've owned it, but I'm still ready to testomony-ialize

Don't believe me?! OK, tomorrow I remove the o-rings and tell my deadbeat neighbor to return the horsepowerometer and the fill 'er up and provide some real unbiased quantitative data to this discussion!
    GrumpyShamurai likes this.
  14. GrumpyShamurai Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    76 XL350 - 74 XL125 - 07 FZ1

I just used electrical tape. Seems to be holding fine. Nice and snug.
  15. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    I finally got the time to replace my Brisk with the Pulstar, only to find the Brisk in somewhat interesting conditions

IMG_20160528_100833[1].jpg
  16. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    VERY LUCKY BOY!!!
    Just in time to avert detonation.
    engineerk9 and wferrari like this.
  17. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Holy Cow, did you drop it or something? Thankfully it didn't drop into the cylinder so what happened?

Can I send this off to Brisk? Is that corrosion on the base? How many miles on them?

How did the Pusltar perform compared to the Brisk?
  18. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    The spark plug came out that way, but with the ceramic insulator in position. When I took the other one out I've noticed that one lead was shorter than the other, and that the insulator was wobbling. The bizarre part is that it looks like that the insulator broke down very recently, because the crack is still fairly white. I applied some pressure on the "healthy" spark plug, and it seems strong enough. Regardless of the cause, I still think this a design weakness compared to the standard plugs, as these insulators are too thin.

Sure, you can send it off to Brisk. I can send the actual spark plug in case they want it. It doesn't seem that there is corrosion on the base, just white ceramics. These spark plugs have about 6000 kms on them.

The Pulstars perform well, but in all fairness the bike is running like crap ATM, as I sent the EJK to reprogram to the GS settings, and the ECU tends to run the bike very lean (although better by the day). I've used the Pulstars for less than 20km, and I can still hear plenty of lean pops, but idle is definitely more regular, and maybe there's a tad more power (but maybe that's the ECU adapting to the new lambda info). I'll run it for another 20km or so, and then put the EJK back on, and then report back.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  19. Chuffa Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT250
    From Greg's post, #75 this thread... " I am a bit worried at their reliability as I have had quite a few snap the centre insulators in the motor in my racing bikes."
    Matt Crawley, wferrari and engineerk9 like this.
  20. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Interesting.
    I have not been brave enough to try any different plugs in mine, I am letting you guys continue with the beta testing.
    I am convinced though that these bikes are very sensitive to plugs and possibly hard on them.

Some time ago my bike began running poorly. stumbling & stalling when cold and surging/vibby at some speeds.
    I did several things, but I did end re-gaping the plugs and that seemed to fix a lot of the issues.
    I ended up replacing the plugs and that seemed to help even more, but the improvement over just the re-gap was minimal.

About a month or so ago my bike began running poorly again, mostly I noticed the surging.
    This time all I did was re-gap my plugs, and yes they were out of spec.
    Bingo, the bike was back running as usual and has continued to do so since that time.
    Should it start running poorly again, I will replace them.