Best Spark Plug 4 Terra: Show me your PLUGS

Discussion in 'TR650' started by mag00, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115

That is the way to do it, so far I have fitted Pulstars to 4 bikes using this method and no problems at all.
  2. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    I fitted Pulstars to my 30 year old Mercedes, initially a pig, however setting the gaps to 0.8mm was like having a reconditioned motor, bloody impressive

The Pulstars in my TR are also impressive, 880+ klms over the weekend out to Nundle & return, the bike is awesome, be great if I had the skill to ride it to it's full potential
    drzcharlie and PaulC like this.
  3. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Best I could do, the others I have are a bit grubby!
    You'll know the dimensions from the OD of the coil, the diameter of the well hole in the valve cover and the difference in length of the 2 spark plugs.

P4160039.JPG P4160037.JPG
  4. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Just an update on the Pulstar plugs I installed. Sunday the ECU seemed to be adjusting fuel trims. Prior to the change I was idling between 14 and 15 hundred rpms. Now it has settled in at a steady idle of 1400 rpms. From idle through first and second gear the bike pulls very strong now.

To date I haven't been able to intentionally pull the front wheel from the ground without a little help from my fat arse. However, that has changed, I crack the throttle hard now in first gear and my Redheaded Mistress wants to leap off the pavement.

The bike now has snap through all gears and the entire powerband. I hate to be a doubter but I find it really hard to believe that just changing to these plugs did this. Now, I have to put the bike back on the lift and get those condenser boots taken care of properly.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  5. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Remarkable! Similar experience to mine. At first I thought it was largely due to my valve adjustment but now I don't think so.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  6. Cyntax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra, 900R Nuda
    Other Motorcycles:
    MG V50 NATO III
    I've ordered some Pulsars too after reading all the good experiences you guys have with them. I'm curious how they will fare in combination with my PC5 and Autotune. Still have to put the Terra on a test bench and setup the PC5 properly so I can do that after installing the Pulsars to get the best effect.
  7. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cyntax,

I have the LC 2 installed and I think on my bike the only thing that has changed is some minor changes in fuel trim on idle. I contribute the performance enhancements to the plugs and I really hate saying that. It seems to go against the grain for me. Never the less performance has been enhanced.
    Cyntax, duibhceK and engineerk9 like this.
  8. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The reason the Pulstar plugs make such a difference is that they store the energy as the HT voltage rises and and then release all that energy in one big hit when the firing point is reached. A conventional plug cannot do that as there is no capacitive storage in a conventional plug. In addition there is some "splutter" or small sparks with a conventional plug as the HT gets close to firing point which is prevented with a capacitive plug as there is less resistance into the capacitor than the plug gap.

The larger the gap you set on the Pulstar, the higher the firing voltage and the greater the energy stored then released. There is not a lot of ability to adjust it with the Pulstar but you can safely open the gap a bit. Sussurf has ridden my tired old Dakar, it is firing across a 3mm gap which pushes the firing point up to 24kv.

Drzcharlie you should be able to use the LC2 to go to another level of performance but if pod mod is fitted air supply on initial throttle opening is likely to be restricted

Cyntax, the PC5 and autotune will not give the best, one of the knowledgeable experienced Dakar owners who ran that for a long time fitted a Pulstar plug and found the plug did more than all the expense of the PC5 and he ditched it, a G650X owner did the same and sold off the PC5 then re invested the funds in a GS911
    Cyntax, PaulC and engineerk9 like this.
  9. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    3.00 mm ???
  10. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    Pulstars gave my TR the biggest boost
  11. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Yes 3 mm, a Brisk BORLGS12 plug coupled with an Enerpulse peaking capacitor which you have inbuilt to the Pulstar plug, cant do it with a COP system
  12. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    And that old Dakar aint no slouch.
  13. Jon Sorkin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vstrom 1000
    Strong testimonials. Especially from experienced guys like DRZ Charlie. I currently run a LC2 on my bike and although improved, the bike is still slightly weak off idle.
    I've also been following the potential recall threads by KTM..... Anyway, nothing to lose other than money so, I ordered directly from Pulstar yesterday. I am little concerned about harming the motor from reading reviews in Google. Yes, I realize that this may represent only 1% of the users and whoever screams the loudest gets the attention but still wary.

Anyway, this is what I paid yesterday.

Item(s) shipping now:

Item

Subtotal

[IMG]
    JE2RT 8
    Part #: 912
    Qty: 2
    USD$ 37.00

Shipping & Handling: USD$ 6.80

Tax: USD$ 3.07

Total: USD$ 46.87

Jon

2014 TR650 (Terra)
    2006 DL100 (Vee)
    engineerk9 likes this.
  14. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    What reviews? I have not read any negative reviews about the pulstar. I currently have Brisk plugs in my Terra, they fixed my issues, and still thinking of pulstar for next change. My new to me Strada hasn't had any mods and runs pretty good, except when warming up. So I may get em for that bike. Just curious what issues the pulstar could give and if it is corroborated. Might be some ignition systems are finicky, but seem like the TR650 and BMW singles really benefit from the Pulstars.
  15. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Is this what prompted the sale? Too much fun for your weary bones? :eek: Are you going to update the plugs in your Kawi?
  16. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've ordered a few for one of the Trumpets. That bike I know really well so we'll see....
    engineerk9 likes this.
  17. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    From my experience, you won't be disappointed
  18. Cyntax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra, 900R Nuda
    Other Motorcycles:
    MG V50 NATO III

I can confirm this after having ridden with the Pulsar Plugs for 400kms now. The bike feels so much more stable at low RPMs and pulls through super smooth all the way to the higher revs. At the higher revs the bike feels a lot more peppy too, not in a clunky sense but in a really stable incredible pull sense! These plugs are the most significant upgrade, they affect the engine even more than the PCV and Autotune. I also started using Shell V-Power instead of standard budget fuel which also contributes to the fuel usage. Overall I am incredibly happy with the plugs.

On the side note, the bike took around 100kms running the plugs in? If there is such thing, at first there wasn't any significant change but after awhile the improvements were really noticeable.
  19. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    I hadn't thought about doing that, but yeah, maybe I will. First I have to wear out the credit cards on farkles for the Kawi.

Can't imagine the V running any better. However, that's what I thought about the Husky.

As for my weary bones, I have had too many "life experiences" that influenced the way my bones broke and my muscles were torn.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  20. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    I noticed the fuel trims changing almost immediately. I got about 300 miles on the TR before I sold it. But, the trims were pretty much set at that time. The bike always, and I mean always hunted for idle. After the plug installation that immediately stopped and became rock solid and stayed that way.

The increase in immediately available power was just unreal. The bike always pulled hard through all gears but once the plugs went in the bike went from being unable to lift the front wheel with out a good yank back from my 240#'s to just twisting to lift. A very good mod indeed.
    engineerk9 likes this.