Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    That was great. I'm now LMFAO..
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  2. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    if it was a proper merge did your plastic update :banana:
    Big Timmy and Dangermouse449 like this.
  3. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    So were we, later. :thumbsup:

At the time I was pretty worried about big Tek!
    He broke 5 ribs on his own only about 6 months earlier.

Very hard to steer what is effectively a sidecar combo when the bars are locked together....
    Big Timmy likes this.
  4. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    I didn't mean to laugh at you guys but couldn't help it. I could see the get off into the embankment didn't look to bad from the camera you had on. That was reason enough to make me want to get one of those cameras myself.

I know the feeling DG. I crashed a street bike years ago with a buddy of mine next to me, we locked bars in a corner. I slid across the pavement for about 80 feet and the bikes flew off the road and down an embankment about 12 ft. high through some barbed wire luckily that we went through after ourselves out into a field. Our girlfriends were riding with each of us. I was about 18. I took all the hide off my palms of my hands because my chest was so hot sliding against the hot black top. It tore most of my cloths off or up. Bad idea trying to cool off while sliding on my chest for 80 ft by doing a sliding push up. I was raw from my chin to the tops of my feet and my shoes came off even. I had to walk backwards for 3 weeks because it hurt so much to bend those scabs on my feet walking forward. Try it and look at your feet then walk backwards and look at your feet. You'll see what I'm saying.

I guess I'm lucky to be alive and walking at all. I'm pretty much immune to burns and so on now adays having been welding for so long. Roadrash is a different story. They say dirt don't hurt but at my age bones break instead. It takes me so long to get all of my riding gear on nowadays I probably don't ride near as much as I would like to because of that alone. Lots of rocks here for sure in the high Arizona desert and all the cactus ain't no fun either.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  5. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Maye, always up for a laugh :)

I have never trusted myself with a road bike for the very reason you described above. Glad you all survived!!

We still try to get out a couple of times every month & my teenagers take me to the mx track as well, not my cup of tea, but it's a ride.
  6. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

7. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Not surprising at all seems to be how KTM does business.
  8. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
  9. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    ..that blows
  10. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    He bought it...why wouldn't or shouldn't he keep it, or do anything else he wants to do with it?
    Centerline and Radar like this.
  11. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    You'll have to read the story ...
  12. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    If it were your company how would you deal with Italian labor unions?
  13. pat ohara Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    yes , 2 WR's
    Other Motorcycles:
    Old Style Husaberg,
    Fairly that's how, never disrespect another man's work.:popcorn:
  14. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310

I read it. It said "Pierer Industrie had agreed to keep the warehouse and, therefore, the jobs, open until a productive solution could be found." They found a productive solution in consolidating everything in Austria. They kept their word.
    Centerline and Connor like this.
  15. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    I have mixed feelings regarding this move. I also wonder what was in this particular warehouse. Is this were the slow flowing parts are coming from?
  16. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Slow flowing parts are a feature of the KTM takeover. Parts ordered in the US that are in stock in the US now take about twice as long to get to the dealer. This has nothing to do with an Italian building but rather KTMs system that is in place. Of course one of the problems with the US parts supply is that the inventory from BMW was ran down and not re-supplied while KTM was deciding what to do. KTM has owned husky for over a year now and they have been using the we are moving the warehouse excuse for over 6 months now. They really just should say this is how we do it.
  17. Connor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 TXC310
    @Mike-AK I agree with you.
  18. Sparrowhawk Husqvarna
    AA Class

The New Classic. The latest Cycle News has an interview with SP and he talks about a direction for the Husky brand that is news to me. http://cyclenews.uberflip.com/i/460339

KTM is Ready to Race. Husqvarna is The New Classic. It's not retro, a new definition, a new market sector taking into consideration that not everybody wants to go racing, or to ride like they are doing that every day. Easy riding, cool riding, but with state of the art technology. That's Husqvarna, The New Classic.
    ray_ray likes this.
  19. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Wow. I read most of it and the comment regarding a serious bike and the ability to get spare parts really rubbed me the wrong way. I had no problems getting spare parts for my Italian husky until he took over Husqvarna. Am I missing something? It sure seems the slow down in parts was intentional after seeing things unfold.
  20. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Maybe it was just in the South East, but I never met anyone who could consistently get parts for their Italian Husky until BMW bought them, especially in the 90s. That was the main reason I never bought one. That is not a unique problem for Cagiva, I worked at a dealership that over the years had Ducati and Aprilia and getting parts for them was a continual nightmare. The Italians have a very different idea of what customer service is supposed to mean from what we think it means.
    Norman Foley likes this.