Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Yep, the only reason Buick is still around after the fall of Olds and Pontiac is because owning a Buick is the Chinese dream.
  2. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Not to mention their concept bikes have the Indian 390 motor in them.
  3. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    Ready to race I would guess
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    It's gone too far ...way, way too far if that is correct ... ( This was a joke ...meant to be funny ... I'm very ok with SP and he can run his company anyway he pleases.)
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Get used to it. Heck we should already be used to it. Many Chevy parts have been made in canada and mexico for decades.
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    That was joke ... It's his advertising and it will sell bikes ...
    Motosportz likes this.
  7. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

I read the whole article and what I came away with is that it was a "street" oriented discussion. What I inferred from SP's comments regarding "the new classic" as opposed to "ready to race" was much more of a street focus there. I would seriously doubt that Husky dirt bikes will be "retro" in any way other than some styling type stuff - if they even do that.

Dirt bikes are different. While many of us wish for KDXs and XRs -- if they were selling tons they would still be here. At this point it seems like the market has shrunk to the consumers who are willing to pay for the latest stuff. As the market grows I am hopeful that there will be some other alternatives for something 90% of state of the art where I can save some cash. Kelly's AJPs are interesting to me. I have ridden enough to know that I don't need the best stuff for the technical stuff I do. What I need is something a bit lighter, comfortable and stone reliable. I ride for days in the Sawtooths without EVER hitting the mainjet. I NEVER need 40 or 50 HP. I am living in the bottom and mid [using 20 or so HP]. The desert is a bit different and want something a bit manlier for that, but in the technical gnarly stuff we do -- the real hero is the guy who cleans it, not the guy who gets there first.
    Cosmokenney and troy deck like this.
  8. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Looks like the future of Husqvarna in terms of serious off road competition may be up in the air. He wants to build a bunch of clunky looking bikes for this "new classic" vision and slap Husky badges on them. He didn't really answer the question regarding current Huskys being KTMs and began his babbling about new classics.

Seems to me that he has no intention of ever allowing Husky to outshine KTM in any way, especially off road. He damn near called it "cute" that Husqvarnas are providing real competition for his sacred pumpkins here in the states and in Europe. Ironically it seems he has his sights set on making KTMs and Huskys to compete directly with BMW for the ADV market. I hope our stateside Husky teams continue to kick ass and take names so this guy has to rethink his master strategy yet again in a year or so.

I just wonder how many pictures of himself he has hanging on the wall of his mansion :p . Successful to be sure, but narcissistic as hell, just like any modern CEO or politician.
  9. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    I think their main focus for the future for KTMVARNA will be street bikes, much larger market. Will be interesting to see what happens to their dirt bikes with reduced focus.
  10. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Is SP really that different than Claudio Castiglioni, other than actually being a more astute businessman? Claudio built up Cagiva, to be the largest European motorcycle manufacturer, by buying up Italian companies and then finally the purchase of Husqvarna Motorcycles from Electrolux. He sold Ducati and slowly consumed the Cagiva Brand to nothing, to build up Husqvarna and especially MV Agusta. He ends up selling everything and then getting MV back for 1 Euro. In the end, his son has a small, but very cool Boutique Brand. Talk about the... "How to make a small fortune? Start with a big one!" scenario! Of course the most ironic part is.... Harley sold him the Aermacchi Factory twice!

SP starts with a small bankrupt Austrian dirt bike company and he builds it into the second largest European motorcycle manufacturer, with other supply industries to boot. This guy seems to make all the right moves. Don't sell SP short and I bet Claudio checked himself out in the mirror, as much or more.....
  11. photoguy_43420 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 Husqvarna's from 1973-2001
    Other Motorcycles:
    73 Norton Commando 850
    Sure would have been nice if Electrolux just would have bought the brand back.... The thing that I was hearing was a lot of the old Husky personal who left after the Cagiva buy out where all happy about when KTM bought Husky. Many of that personal went to KTM after the Cagiva buy out. They all said KTM knows what they are doing and Husky will be back to the old Swedan days. I tend worry about it the "new classics" are not what core Husqvarna rides want, we all know that. I feel Husky will take a back seat again to KTMs off road and then Husky will be the on road bike. Which they where from 1903- to the first part of the 60s. Time will tell..
    JonXX and justintendo like this.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Which is odd because if you go back to his original statements when he took the company over is "NO streetbikes". I think we will get husky logos on anything he thinks he can sell and market with husky logos.
    Huskynoobee likes this.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Rode my AJP PR5 yesterday. That bike continues to amaze me and I top hills on it other bikes cant. The bike is perfect for technical riding and is designed from the ground up to be so. Its not a modified SX bike.
    water racer and boisedave like this.
  14. Sparrowhawk Husqvarna
    AA Class

SP is not one to pass up an opportunity. This is just me trying to read his mind but it's hard to ignore the easy success of the retro offerings like Harley Davidson, Triumph Bonnevilles, Honda CB110, Yamaha SR400, Royal Enfield, Motto Guzzi V7 and California, etc.. The Ducati Scrambler is causing more buzz than any of their other bikes. Custom builders are moving away from choppers and now focusing on cafe racers. Harley's newest model, the Street, which is targeted at the developing world, is styled after the 1977 XLCR. The Indian brand is reborn. Kids are listening to Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin. The Next Chapter of On Any Sunday just came out. Nostalgia is driving a significant market share.

Husqvarna has a rich history from the 60s and 70s. If you wanted the best motocrosser available you bought a Husky. When many people think about the Husqvarna brand they think of Steve McQueen, Malcolm Smith, or the Flying Finn racing on Huskys. It only makes sense that SP would capitalize on that brand image and rich history.

All of the motorcycle manufacturers offering retro style are doing it on the cheap (regardless of MSRP). Low quality suspension, substandard brakes, old technology. Manufacturers are building bikes that replicate the style of the highest tech and best performing motorcycles of an era but offering poor performing bikes and old tech. SP does things different from everybody else. What I get out of the interview is Husky will have styling influences from bygone days but will contain state of the art technology and offer performance at the highest level. It will be an interesting experiment to observe.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    David Howell, Motosportz and bigjon like this.
  15. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    That is very true of the "market". But I don't understand it. Because where I live, we have to ride in designated OHV areas. So, I see lots of bikes. I rarely see a new bike at the trail head or on the trail. I think there are a lot guys out in more urban/sub-urban areas who buy bikes brand new that end up sitting in the garage for a year gathering dust. They have the money to burn. And its the guys who actually ride regularly that buy those same bikes from craigslist after the wife makes the original owner sell it. That type of original owner artificially inflates the purchasing demographic, and that demographic doesn't reflect the core users of these bikes. So the manufacturers seem to think riders are willing to pay $10K+ for a bike that will rip their arms off, when in reality that is not the case.

Agree. I've realized I do three types of riding: trails, open/desert/dual sport, street. I have the WR 250 for trails, TE 511 for dual sport and open high speed stuff. And when I recover from buying a car for my 15 1/2 year old son, I'll be adding a street bike like an FZ-09 or FJ-09 back into the fold and call it good.
    Motosportz likes this.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  17. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Well what type of car do you want for your son and what is the budget I don't sign ajax auto all the time for nothing call me if you need a deal on a car or truck 760 275 6424 We have 2600 cars and trucks here
    No problem we can deliver it to you also
    Kevin_TE250 likes this.
  18. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

good to know... I will have a driver in another year or 2 myself and will want somthing reliable for my son :)
  19. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I can bring it up to Boise when I come up for the National Boy now we are off topic from motorcycles to used cars and trucks go Ajax
    Huskynoobee likes this.
  20. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Couldnt have said it better myself. People forget KTM was bankrupt and possibly going to disappear like Maico if not for SP.
    Norman Foley and ray_ray like this.