1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

86 500 xc

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by kgi4x4, Dec 3, 2012.

1. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Got the head back on. Have to hold decomp valve closed or else it just shuts soon as you kick over once. It really releases a good amout of compression. With no gas or plug hooked up I can get it to kick over several times, with one kick! While wearing flip flops!!! I wouldnt dare try to fire it like that tho! Spent some more time wet sanding head and jug. Man I'm tired of sanding!

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    be careful kicking the bike over with the plug boot disconnected and not grounded..very hard on the motoplat..unless you are holding the kill switch while doing this
    the original brake pedal being used is a nice touch
  3. Wildebeest90210 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looks awesome! Can't wait for some more video.
  4. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Justin, thanks for heads up. I left all wiring to coil unhooked. I shouldn't have to kick it till its time to fire now.
    Have a costumers restoration that takes priority over my own for now. Have more sanding and polishing to do b4 I get to button it up. If I hadn't already dumped so many hours ino it I'd b very tempted to paint the dang motor black.
  5. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Test pilot says she is ready to go!
    [IMG]
    justintendo likes this.
  6. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    don't ride thru any cow pats with that front mudguard (fender sorry):)
  7. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Finaly made more time to sand and polish. Seriously getting sick of it, but at the same time, I'm kinda getting good at it. Not taking the time to get every scratch out as most parts were thrashed when I got them. (Ignition cover excluded, but I couldn't help my self!)
    [IMG]

More assembly.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Started doing some lettering. Went to far distressing the last S so ill have to go over it again but it give an idea what I'm going to do there.

[IMG]
    James Patton likes this.
  8. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    did the filter take care of the fuel spitting? polish is starting to look pretty good
  9. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Filter helps but it needs a new set of reeds. Ill get a set before to long. It isn't really affecting the way it runs so I just havnt had to deal with it yet. Also thought about adding a stretch of tube between filter and carb to make up for the air box not being there. Then on to a new carb if it don't straiten up.
  10. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    2 weeks till born free 6. Looking like I will make it. Only thing holdin me back so far is $. The bike only need a bit more polishing and a couple fire-ups. Wish I had a new set of tires! But don't have to trust them for the ride down so they will have to suffice. Did a little painting on the covers.
    [IMG]
  11. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    It lives! Need to tighten chain and a few nuts and bolts b4 I can ride it but should have that done this evening and might even be able to get a quick video of it in action!
    [IMG]
  12. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Shot a short video. Not the best but figured I'd post it for those who care to see it on the road.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  13. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    was the engine cold? sounds like its missing a bit..
  14. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Yes it was cold. But it is running rough. The crab is spitting worse. I took reeds out and they r definatly worse as well. With carb off I can feel presure excaping out of intake as the piston comes up. Hope to get paid on a job this week...I will definatly be ordering a set as soon as I have $ in hand.
  15. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    I started sanding the taillight housing and decided not to paint it. It polished up nicely! I figure since its aluminum alloy, it should be polished, like the rest of aluminum parts!
    [IMG]
  16. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    first bit of mud and you wont see it!
  17. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    I hear ya on that! I probly won't stay pretty for long. I'm planning on taking it to a mc show next weekend... Born Free 6. Trying to make it look good for that but after I will be riding it in the dirt! Figure it will get thrashed quickly with out front mudguard/fender. But I won't be out much anyway as all painting and polishing hasn't cost me a dime. Had all paint laying around, the hotrod black I've had since my younger brother passed almost 5 years ago. The kandy yellow was leftover from another bike. So why not!
    I still need to get it running right even if I have to pony up some $ for a new carb(lectron if I can find a deal on 1). Reeds are #1 on the list!
  18. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    yep, I can see the mile wide grin thru the line of mud and cowpoo straight up the front of you!! enjoy it.:D
  19. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Almost done sanding! Got rear wheel and forks sanded and ready for polishing. All that is left to sand and polish is brake lever(foot and hand) and clutch lever.
    [IMG]
    Wish I had the $ to replace the pitted fork tubes. Mabey in the future...
    [IMG]
  20. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    give em a good run over with 1500 grit paper and forget about them till later
    justintendo likes this.