1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

86 500 xc

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by kgi4x4, Dec 3, 2012.

1. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    u need a pair of trials Looniversals tyres instead of those "let go" specials you've got fitted....
    justintendo likes this.
  2. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Not familiar with them...got pics? Ill probly end up swallowing my pride and order a drag slick...otherwise a soft compound dual sport.
  3. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    sorry, "trial universals" is pre 1985 speak for dual sport...
  4. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Roger that. That's is most likely what ill end up with.
  5. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    More sanding...more polishing. Plan to polish spokes, will be leaving hub black for now. Probl paint a black strip down center o rim where rim bubbles to meet spokes.
    [IMG]
  6. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    while its not for the purists, I love how different style ideas appear on these custom jobs...keep at it its looking great
  7. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Thanks.
    Got the expansion chamber wraped and sprayed with black sylicone, to seal it and prevent rot. Threw a quick shine on scilencer.
    [IMG]

[IMG]
  8. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i like the idea of having a husky motor in a street chassis, but in my project i would be more concerned with handling, braking and speed. kudos to doing a custon job tho, its just not my style..maybe this thread will inspire me.....of course, with ohlins
  9. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Everyone has different tastes and that the butie of building one... You get to decide how it all comes together. To me this bike handles great! Even with dirt tires. It is so light that I hardly notice there is no rear suspention! Same with the brakes, not having all the weight transfer to the front and diminishing rear brake power. It still does some as the forks compress but it definatly stops faster now. The stretch of road the last video was filmed on is brutal! I would ride my sportster at 70 max and that's is I was running for someone! This bike handled bumps without a problem and to my suprise was very stable in hard cornering, although it took a while for me trust it.
    I really figured I would have got a lot of grief from the "purists" and am suprised how many positive responses I've got during the course of this build. I figure its better than sitting in my pops garage waiting to rust apart. (He never sells anything!)
  10. adam6402 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Nice job, was not sure about the gold frame, but I like how it turned out! Now we need some more videos.
  11. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Thanks. Still waiting on head! Once it on ill get more video.
  12. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    Aren't we all? :lol:

But seriously, when I came across this thread and saw what you were planning, I was pretty well shocked. Not my taste, but much respect for having your vision and seeing it through. That's definitely a unique bike and it'll be turning a few heads.

But you are crazy for polishing all that. I tried to polish some stuff once...it didn't take long before I decided I'm not opposed to the cast look.
  13. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    once its done though it looks good!
  14. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    so how do you shift it? take your foot off the peg??
  15. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Need to extend the shifter...rite now the lip on my boot catches it for up shift and hell for down. I've left it cuz it works fine for easy shifting. Not so well for banging gears tho.
    Polishing is no fun but the end result seam to be with it! Can't count the hours I have into polishing tho!
  16. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    maybe have to make a linkage like most streetbikes to work the shifter..if its lengthened enough to work with your peg it will have like 4 inches of travel at the tip to shift..shouldnt be too hard but would have to sacrifice shifter. cut off the shifter leaving only a stub that clamps to shaft. attach a heim joint to it and another heim to the rest of the shifter...youve seen it on other street bikes, you know what i mean
  17. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    I had toyed with the linkage idea... If that's what it takes ill do it. Trying to stay with stock style shifter as the linkages slop up the shift. Same deal as forward controls. They don't respond as quickly. There is a long list of things to take care of... Right now getting it running and running well, is on the top of the list.
    Thinking I might try to ad an extension between the carb and air filter, something to act like the air box. I'm guessing ill have to end up buying a new carb to solve the problem tho.
  18. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    I was recently contacted by a "sponsor" from the UK. They offered to donate a alloy ignition cover. Long story short it arrived and is installed! It looks sow much better! Wish I could give credit to the responsible party but they asked to remain anonimous. To you, thank you so much! Cool to know the world isn't FULl of self serving people!

[IMG]

[IMG]

I also meet with jack(TIG welder) about head today. He had to make a fixture to hold the head at an angle for welding the plug in and offered to use his mill to drill and tap plug to recieve the compression release. I kno it's not that technical but the mill should produce much better threads than I would. Plus it will be perfictly aligned with plug/hole. I chose to do a top mount since there is no plastics to interfere and it will keep valve more protected compaired to side mount

[IMG]
  19. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    How good is that!! somedays are diamonds and some are polished alloy...looks great
  20. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    The head is done! Well back to me ready for sanding and polish then install. Anyone run a decompression valve? How big of a hole is needed into the cylinder?
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]