1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

86 500 xc

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by kgi4x4, Dec 3, 2012.

1. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    The tail light is mounted. I used the rubber isolator moun for the lights. Isolators are pretty cool, allow the bulbs and sockets to free float over mounting bracket and fender. I took the time to incorporate it as the vibrations are killing everything, and it should stop all failure of ligts do to vibration...well at least at the bulb. Tomarow finish painting frame and body work on tins. Hope to paint all black parts on Friday! Then reassemble everything but engine.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Final color of frame.
    [IMG]
  3. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    nice. a nickel plated plate pipe would look sweet
  4. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    It probly would! Or even bright hot coating(looks like polished aluminum). I never figured I'd paint and polish it. I still have the rat rod look in my mind. For now I'm going to run header wrap... Got 1st half wraped but left over piece isn't enough to run back to motor, gotta order more...
    [IMG]
  5. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i think with the polish work and the nice paint work on the frame you are starting to bypass the "rat rod" look! the wrap wont look bad tho. no concerns about the pipe rotting? have heard that about wrapping exhausts but i dont suppose this bike will be seeing alot of water
  6. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Yes I'm afraid I'm last that point. The header wrap can rot pipes...this bike will not see much rain duty. I have wraped pipes on sportster on a couple sets of pipes. The parts under wraps were in better condition than the parts that were not and just painted with "flame proof" header paint. That bike saw a lot of rain it's 1st couple years.
    If all works well I may decide to have a pipe plated or ceramic coated. So far it seams that something breaks in/on the engine. Hoping the decompression valve helps wih that.
  7. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    work of art, it should be in the Guggenheim!
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    use LEDs and your will not have any more issues.
  9. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Mounted the front end and rear tire. Threw a couple other parts in place for a pic.
    [IMG]
    Barry Ranson likes this.
  10. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    The tins are squirted. Also did a bit of work on the radiators. Threw tank and fender on for looks.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  11. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    I put the cases back together today. Came up with a cool trick for installing the shifter drum ball bearing and spring. Used a small bolt to push the spring in...without ball. Once spring is depressed I put a pick in the hole that intersects the sleve. It held the spring compressed. Dropped ball in hole slid drum in and pulled pick out. I had to search shop floor for the ball several time before I figured it out.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  12. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
  13. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    you really need a bare alum ign cover
  14. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Agreed! It will have to wait till I make a good chunk of $...unless someone wants to donate one for the cause!
  15. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    you need a lower fork clamp bracket for the brake line be4 it does an impression of a lower bass guitar string on your front tyre. it wont be music to your ears that's for sure!!
  16. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Yes for sure. That the last thing I want.
  17. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Closer to being back together again.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  18. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    get the running issues figured out?
  19. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    It's still spitting from carb. Otherwise runs great. I still need/want a new set of reeds and in the future a new carb keihin parts or lectron... Starting a new bronco restoration so $ should be coming soon. I'd also like to get an aluminum ignition cover. Also new rear wheel bearings and brakes. And I still need a new inter clutch hub.
    Currently waiting to get head back from TIG artist. Havin him bore a hole in head and weld a piece of round stock back in its place. Then I will drill and tap round stock to install decompression valve in hopes of making the weakened case survive for a bit longer. Chose to do it on top right side of head as its most accessible on this bike. I like the side mount but it would be vonerable it this frame.
  20. kgi4x4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 500xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 sportster
    Installed the kicker and cover. I see why they paint these cases. To keep them shiney you would have to rub the thing everyday. The magnesium content causes them to tarnish quickly! Ill probly let them tarnish to a patina type finsh... Basically read except fluid in gear box, head, route and install wiring. A couple pieces need paint but ill get to them some day. Planning to hand letter my shop name on side(radius of fender) and possibly some pinstriping...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]