7th Annual NE Husky Gathering 2013

Discussion in 'East - USA' started by Joe Chod, May 1, 2013.

?

What if there was a co sanctioned traditional race event (enduro) on the Sunday

I like this. I race or wou;ld like to try a race and this would be a good way to try a race 10 vote(s) 38.5%
I don't like this. I want a weekend trail ride event with no distracters like a race. 2 vote(s) 7.7%
I don't mind either way as long as I have trails/track to ride on Sunday 7 vote(s) 26.9%
I like that this is a Husky and Vintage only event for us and by us 3 vote(s) 11.5%
I don't mind that there are other "outsiders" at the event late Saturday and all day Sunday 1 vote(s) 3.8%
I like. More options.....more riders to socialize with....more fun. 6 vote(s) 23.1%
I don't like.....I want it kept traditional and simple. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    P.S. RUWFO, I will keep my eyes peeled for a evo Husky backyard shed special for you![/quote]

Chuck, I think i may have found a 85 250WR already LOL.
    chuckc4 likes this.
  2. gots_a_sol Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR177
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 250RR
    Not much a camera person, but took some pics of guys doing the grass track race.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    robertaccio, Coffee and Ruffus like this.
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    You can change the size of the upload on Photobucket. I like the 1024 X 776 option for internet sharing. When you go in to upload, there is a little cog wheel icon that you can click on and it will show a menu of sizing options.
    Ruffus likes this.
  4. gots_a_sol Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR177
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 250RR
    I'll remember that for next time. They are all chopped down now so you can actually see the person in the pics haha.

Also, did the big campers and toterhome manage to get back to the paved roads ok? I didn't make it up the gravel road on the first go and had to back down to the bottom and just hammer it up to the top. If my truck didn't have a limited slip rear I don't think it would have made it. Plus it is a good thing my trailer has a stone guard on the front of it haha.

[IMG]
    Dirtdame likes this.
  5. fury1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

thank you joe and norm and anyone else involved with the raffle prizes and various other perks! even though Im not on a husky anymore(although im thinking joe may change me back..lol!) I always feel welcome with my husky family..super cool raffle prizes,tons of free stuff,hanging with soo much racing talent sharing stories over a few beers.
    the race on sunday was pretty technical for the first lap,pretty greasy,but typical for the area,had some great battles during the day and really missed the racing..even though I wasn't there to be "competitive" I was really pushing hard on the first lap...second lap was pretty good...then the rain fell for a solid ten minutes downpouring...turned the trails into ice,im talking both wheels sliding like on ice,and not just in the corners,on the straights as well. just tried to ride up a couple gears and keep moving,knowing we had a 9 mile aa/a section at the end,i was determined to finish...I am whipped today,major monkey butt,plenty of bruises but smiling,been a long two years since my last race and im paying for it now..lol
    thanks again for the invite..ill put up a picture of the shirt they made for crem and myself..lol 20130803_184712.jpg
    robertaccio, Ruffus and Norman Foley like this.
  6. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

What a great weekend! Thanks again to Joe and Norm for putting on another great event.

I know I promised two air cooled KDXs, but when Dan Sharpless offered to carpool up to the event with his truck and super-lux camper, I just couldn't resist. Three bikes in the back of his truck was a tight squeeze, four bikes was impossible, so I had to settle for just the '87. I'm glad that's the one I took, because there were some tricky downhills that would have put my inadequately front drum braked '83 KDX 250 neatly piled into a tree somewhere near the bottom. The front disc on the '87 200 could keep speed in check.

Dan and I rolled into the field around 1 AM Friday evening after a long drive from south Jersey. The descent to the field was a white knuckler for me (the passenger), because that was a BIG camper behind Dan's Chevy diesel, and the gravel road was pretty steep. I could swear I heard/felt the tires scratching at the threshold of traction on the way down, but Dan was cool as a cucumber. I'm glad he was driving!

We awoke Saturday to beautiful, clear weather--perfect for ripping Huskies around the grass track and 4 mile woods loop that the Cayuga County Trail Riders put together. Take out the 165 for a few laps, come back to the camper, switch to the KDX, ride a few laps, marvel at how enduro bikes have progressed in the last 26 years, shoot the breeze with legends of the sport, then go rip a few more laps. What a blast!

The $1000 grand prize at Sunday's enduro drew some talent to the enduro, including Steve Hatch (who flattened his bike's pipe trying to jump over a section we all had the good sense to ride over), Fred Hoess, who had a good ride, and Nick Davis, who won the overall by a scant two points over Hoess.

The first lap had great conditions over most of the course, with some muddy patches here and there. I did learn that I can't turn left out of a stream bed and get up over the bank without spending several minutes picking up and aiming my bike. I also found out that I can't turn right out of stream beds, either. There might be some sort of pattern there. The clickers on my WB 165 were still on the stiff side from all my sand riding, so I was getting bounced around pretty well in the first section. The second stream bed we rode down had several large, flat steps to jump down, which was really cool. One of the drops had to be four feet, so I felt like a hero jumping down it into water. I made it to the end of the first section late enough that the 20-minute pause was all gone, so away I went into the second section! Lots of fresh cut trail, so I was searching for arrows to stay on course. I made a few wrong turns, but there really isn't anything better than brand new trail. Except maybe blasting at top speed between rows of cabbage in the hosting farmer's field! Let's just say we made some cole slaw. Soon after came the black water challenge in the drainage culvert between corn fields. Thick, deep, watery mud that smelled a lot like manure. Fun!

I got the chance to back off my clickers a bit more before the second lap, and things were looking good--until the rain started. We had a hard rain for about 10 minutes, and that was it. We went from semi-aggro old B rider speed to utter survival mode. I struggled hard for a few miles during and after the rain, picking up my bike after falling over on perfectly flat ground and any other terrain feature you can think of. I then decided to just go as slow as possible. This method worked great. 1st and 2nd gear, just putting along enough to keep the front wheel rolling and not sliding. Of course, this method didn't really work on the greasy mud slide hill climb, but I somehow managed to slither to the top. I didn't set any speed records, but I managed to chug to the finish in one piece. This was a great event. It was short, only 42 miles for us C and B riders, but when it's ALL TRAIL, 42 miles will wear you out!

I must aplogize for the lack of pictures, but I forgot my phone/camera! (I'm pissed, too) I know Kara was taking pics, so I'm sure we'll see good stuff soon.

Again, thanks to the NE Gathering Posse and the Cayuga County Tail Riders!
    Ruffus, dan s and Norman Foley like this.
  7. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Here's some pics i took. 100_0773.JPG

Norm..
    100_0775.JPG

Chuck & Joe's Norm's Huskys 100_0771.JPG
    Joe telling stories 100_0777.JPG
    Husky 250CR ..1st place bike
    robertaccio and bigjon like this.
  8. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    100_0772.JPG
    Drew chatting it up. 100_0778.JPG
    Terry's sweet 05 450TC. really like that color combo
    robertaccio and bigjon like this.
  9. gots_a_sol Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR177
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 250RR
    I don't have nearly a 1/10 of the talent of some of you guys, but here is the video off of my camera (I turned it on at the start and just ran it until it died. There are four parts in total).

This is only the second race I've entered and my first enduro. Lots of fun. I finished the 1st lap and it was pouring again when I got to the pits/camp, so I called it a day.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzbZyZ5c0Rc
    robertaccio, Xcuvator, ruwfo and 2 others like this.
  10. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

It really was dark in some parts of the woods, wasn't it?
  11. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Joe,
    I love how i made it like only 6 arrows from the start, before i screwed up & missed a turn & you passed me..LOL
    those damn arrows .. Husky John
  12. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

And I saw the other joe go right up onto you and that is when I passed him on his right so far that I am not even on the camera till he passes me back on the grass track about 9 minutes later. I can hear the asthmatic wheexe of the vintage 125 though and you 2 left first off the start flip. It was dark in those woods....lions,tigers,and bears.......
    Motosportz likes this.
  13. gots_a_sol Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR177
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 250RR
    robertaccio and Xcuvator like this.
  14. Drew Smith Husqvarna
    AA Class

Once again the Husky Gathering was A big Success! Thanks again to Norm and Joe their passion for everything motorcycle sport especially Husks really shows and thanks to Larry and Dave Barns and the club members for the huge commitment it takes to pull together an Enduro with a difficult time line.
    All the people are the greatest and are really feeling like old friends at this point. For me the sportsman award goes to John Both who jumped right on everything including trying an Enduro for the first time I have the feeling it wont be the last time, Cool Time!
    robertaccio, Coffee and Motosportz like this.
  15. chuckc4 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Chuck, I think i may have found a 85 250WR already LOL.[/quote]

Well I am looking for an 83WR, so if you come across something you are not interested in, pease let me know. Thanks, Chuck
  16. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Ah shucks Drew, thanks, as your un official used Vintage Husky dealer (LOL) , it was fun letting me try to chase you around on Sat on your bike (my old Husky) with your soon to be new Husky. You a very humble ambassador to off road riding/racing, I took your coaching to heart & i'll be even more prepared for my next adventure , whether it's my 1st CC race or my second enduro..

It's great people that make this sport what it is & there was a bunch there & here.

Husky John
    robertaccio likes this.
  17. dan s Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 wr 250 A-Class
    This has to be one of the best riding weekends I had in a long time. What a great group of people. Sat. was fun going out doing a couple laps coming back do some adjustments and heading back out. Grass track challenge was a good time and the Enduro on Sunday was great all good people on my row felt like a bunch of buddies out riding on a Sunday rather then racing. After the rain it turned into a survival type race you just had to finish to do good. I love it when races turn into that. Joe and norm you guys do a great job and are very much appreciated for the work and time you put into this event. I will definitely be back next time. Thanks
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    That looked like a really fun rip. Right up my alley. Yes please. Nice job guys :thumbsup:
  19. Jimmy250 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Polaris Quad
    Told my guys next year we are there!
  20. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I'm sorry I missed it this year.

I was out of town with my family until mid-day Saturday and just could not make it.

Thanks guys for putting this on again. I'm glad everyone had a good time.

That vid of the enduro course 1st section looks sweet....nice and tight but not too tight!

Next year!