630 Longevity Concerns

Discussion in '610/630' started by jtemple, Mar 14, 2012.

1. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Heh, it seems there's finally an advantage to having the '03. I can't get an oversized fuel tank or racks for it, but it's got a better clutch.

AFAIK, there are not many differences in the engine between the generations. The frame and body work is different, though. I guess the clutch is also different, although god knows why they'd change from a cush hub to a cush clutch. That complicates the clutch more and the cush hub was already designed and works well. :excuseme: Italians...
  2. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    Looks like parts total for the cush hub assembly off your TE610 totals ~$320.
    I'm curious if that hub would lace up to the existing spokes as is on a TE630? If so would be a reasonable cost cush hub conversion. Woody's does excellent work and would include spoke upgrades but still >$700 ouchy!

I'm waiting for Kush Sprockets to release their new V2 version. If that doesn't happen I might do some more research on fitting a TE610 cush hub instead.

_
  3. Taranis Husqvarna
    AA Class

I looked up the parts for the 2000 TE610E cush hub this morning at Hall's (comparing to my 2006). Came up with about the same for the hub, rubbers and drive, but you need to add about $100 for spokes, for sure. There are different sprocket and brake-side spokes, so you'd at least need the new spokes. The rim in 2000 was a 2.5-in wide Behr, rather than the 2.15-in Excel. Both 36 holes. Don't know if the spokes for the Behr would work on the Excel.

There's a thread on ADV where a guy says the older bike has a 20mm axle, but the bearings are all 25mm ID for both years. The brake side bearing is even the same on both years. Don't know what's going on with his bikes.
  4. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My 630Sm has now done a bit more than 20.000kms and has just been serviced by the new BMW/Husky place here in Berlin. They did the whole major service schedule and told me that the bike was in perfect maintenance condition when it came in. They´d never seen a JD tuner and were impressed by the power the bike put out compared with the new bikes (they had 650s etc) in the showroom. So it looks as if the 630 is a long term runner. I´ve not had anything serious wrong with it yet.
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I would call Bills in Salem and possibly a few other dealers to find out their thoughts regarding how long the bikes really last. I did, and it was quite interesting.
  6. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    And the concensus was?? Inquiring minds want to know.

_
  7. rickcj7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    My 2011 TE630 only made it to 400 miles before it started coming apart!!!
  8. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    I've got over 7K on my SMS, had a shifter seal leak and a radiator leak, but that's pretty much it.
  9. CODYs Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    05 KTM 950 Adventure
    I'm guessing/hoping that with good general maintenance it would last a long time. Abuse and running the bike at redline it's whole life might shorten it's lifespan. Generic common since stuff I'm thinking.

Has a "who has the most miles on their 630?" thread been done yet?:excuseme:
  10. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Jtemple probably has that one.
  11. mike54 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Couple of thoughts: Here in the UK there were only 25 new 630's sold. Yep, 25. Those of us who bought them have used them for mainly offroad, the UK rally challenge (there are 6 in it). Now people are waking up to them - the final bikes have been sold and people are really starting to talk about them in light of the new 650 and the issues with the ktm690.

On Saturday I went out with a friend on mainly gravel tracks, and we traded for a while. When we stopped he said wow! the bike is smoother, more planted, more comfortable and a better riding position than the 690. The 690 has more brute power, but the 630 is just as fast but it's a lot smoother. Two of my friends have just bought 630's and I suspect that it's going to become a sought after bike. Everyone that rides mine loves it (I have different suspension but that's the only real mod).

I've had mine since March, done 6 rallies and various offroad trips and it's never skipped a beat, no problems at all to report. I've found I do have to keep on top of the bolts, they do work loose but thread lock on those which can be locked has solved most of that.
    organ donor and DYNOBOB like this.
  12. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm probably nipping at his heels though.
    13,854 miles in 13-1/2 months.

No riding or wrenching the last 2 weeks and for another 2-3 weeks to come as too busy with family and work issues. Bike currently needs some attention after a hard 6 days riding in the desert last month. Clutch actuator leak (started before desert ride), shifter seal leak, subframe cracked and will upgrade the clutch spring washers and adjust the valves while apart.

_
  13. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I do not recall the exact numbers, but they sound surprisingly durable as a general rule. Perhaps call them?
    http://billshusky.com

And then there are people like you. As far as I can tell, catastrophic failures are quite rare.
  14. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    You have already passed me; I have cut way back on riding lately. I'm right around 12,000 still.

It won't climb very fast from here on out. I've got my eyes on a new street bike for highway duty.
  15. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Think there´s hardly any alternative but to hang on to our 610 - 630s and take good care of them as there´s not much else in sight (although EICMA is coming up soon and there might just be something there)
  16. Virginian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Moto Guzzi Griso SE Tenni
    I guess I subscribe to a different mindset here. My opinion is ride the bike till you wear it out, then worry about what to replace it with then. There's no guarantees in life that you will be here in a couple years or you will still have the ability to ride a m/c even. This is not a pessimistic view, more a case of I would hate to see something happen in a person's life and the bike not be realized. How many times have you seen someone save and skimp their wholes lives for retirement only to die when they retire. That would be a crime regarding a m/c in my opinion.
    Xcuvator, jtemple and Coffee like this.
  17. kevinperry Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 honda XL250R
    I have 3 seasons on my 630 now . 28500 km now on her now.The engine is out for a cam chain and a good check over by my mechanic. I have had no troubles and this is just preventive maintenance . I will let you guys know what he finds in a couple weeks when I pick it up .

KP
    Coffee likes this.
  18. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    "Enjoy it while you can" may have sufficed. :p
    Virginian likes this.
  19. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Over 7000 miles on my 630 now, including quite a bit of highway and high speed gravel, with absolutely no problems at all. Will do the cam chain around 10,000 and replace the clutch spring cups then. I have the 650 too but the two are just not comparable. 630 for the dirt, 650 for the road. The 630 is a keeper!
  20. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    I'm curious how the two compare in SM form...