630 Longevity Concerns

Discussion in '610/630' started by jtemple, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Circus Husqvarna
    AA Class

I ride my 2008 610SM everyday (30 miles total). I have 12,000 miles on it. I am going to keep riding the thing and rebuild it when it needs it, and then pile more miles on. Not sure if I will do the rebuild myself or not. The issue is not the $$$ but how long it would take me (I am sure I would be quite slow), and in the mean time I would have to drive my car in bumper to bumper traffic, and that I cannot stand. If I had a spare bike I might just do it myself and take my time. We'll see. I am hoping to get to 20-25,000 miles before I need a rebuild.
  2. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    My commute is only 6 miles each way so it really doesn't add much miles. But riding the TE to work is dual sport use also. I have detoured my route to work to include a water crossing over a bayou and going home I ride a power line double track trail and zig zag around some oil fields with plenty of mud holes. Sure beats riding pavement the entire way.

_
  3. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    My commute is 8 miles, but I go home for lunch. So, I make the trip 4 times every day. I also have the option of paved highway or gravel roads. There is very little traffic on the highway. In the gravel, I rarely see another car. I can just about make better time in the gravel, because there are no cops, and no traffic lights.
  4. JoiseyJanet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Six miles, eight miles. . .

Does the oil even warm up by then?

Gravel, powerlines. . . . .

How about this model?
    [IMG]
    Flynn likes this.
  5. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    It does but just barely, probably takes 4 miles to fully warm up with normal amount of shifts and some idling time at red lights.

Your model wouldn't work here except in our three "winter" months. Even cycling only one mile in our typical 85-100 degree, 90% humidity weather would have you soaking wet. No shower at my office.

_
  6. bpowa Husqvarna
    B Class

any more information on this crush drive?

7. bpowa Husqvarna
    B Class

8. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
  9. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I could mountain bike to work, but the highways I'd have to ride on aren't very bicycle friendly. I'd probably get turned into a grease spot by some idiot sending a text message.
  10. JoiseyJanet Husqvarna
    AA Class

In late October I corresponded with Troye of Woody's Wheel Works.

I asked him if they could put a cush-drive hub on my wheel if I shipped my wheel to them.

I didn't have the extra cash then, but now with IRS refund, I can do it, but will wait until next winter when riding slows down.

Here is what he had to say:
    >
    Re: Cush Drive for Husqvarna 2011 TE630

The Rad Cush hub is $500 with sprocket carrier and dampners.

Our larger stronger stainless steel spoke kits are $125, and using your rim to
    Superlace in our proprietary x-three lace pattern is $111. This pattern
    positions each spoke to as much as a 90 degree angle from the hub as
    possible and permits each spoke to cross over others 3 times. The result
    is a matricx of strength greater than the stock lacing.

Using your spokes it would be $20 to unlace and $88 to relace.

Our spokes and Superlacing is much stronger.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Troye
    ----------
    Woody's Wheel Works LLC
    2226 S. Jason St.
    Denver, CO 80223
    (303) 936-0232
    1-866-936-0232 Toll Free
    (303) 936-1992 Fax
    woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
    www.woodyswheelworks.com
    >
    He confirmed at that time that with their spokes and lacing, the total cost is $736 (excluding return shipping).
  11. bpowa Husqvarna
    B Class

wow for 11oo dollars id rather get forged wheels. for a supermoto. for dirt id go aftermarket wheel.

500. dollars is also a lot to pay for a crush drive.

wouldnt that kush sprocket be more money saving?
  12. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    The lineage of the big Husky motor does in fact go back a ways - if not XR far, far enough. And like you say it's a combo of two proven platforms.
    The fact it was around a year (more in other markets) means nothing. I think the 630 improved again on things that were maintenance items on the 610...
    I have four bikes, and if I had to keep just one it would be the 630.

Keep clean oil in it, do regular maintenance, fix things that break... all the things you do to bikes you like enough to keep around. I don't think you're riding it to an early grave as long as you take good care of it.

If you were commuting 100 miles each way every day on the interstate then I'd say enjoy it and save your money for a rebuild :D
  13. bpowa Husqvarna
    B Class

i have to admit i ride mines like shit. its not babied at all. however i do oil changes every 1.5 to 2k. i dont know how you guys ride the te. but the supermoto riding style maybe quite harsh. it revss from low to high rpm. shifts hard on downshift before cornering. etc. i hope they made it to withstand the abuse. 75mph on the freeway for 20 min to get to the hills then it get romped on. -1 front sprocket also. :/
    GPZKIDD and Huskyfly like this.
  14. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Time will tell, I suppose.

Somehow, I think I just talked my wife into letting me get a second bike. I don't think I'll go for it, though.
  15. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    The 630 doesn't have a cush drive? Odd, my '03 TE610e does...
  16. Kevin2735 Husqvarna
    B Class

I do about a 25 mile per day (approx 12 miles each way) commute on a California Freeway and prefer the big bike for that. I sometimes get home after dark, and having the better lights and the fairing works better for me at 70 mph. I tend to use the Husky when I know I am doing some decent dual sport trails, and save the big bike for the 200 mile or more rides. It's nice having two bikes to be able to make those choices. I gotta say though, I am always working the wife to let me get another bike. If I got my hands on a third bike, I suppose I would be working the wife to let me buy a fourth one.... and so on, and so on. ;)
  17. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    The 630 (and the 610, if I'm not mistaken) has a cush "drive" integrated into the clutch, using some springs. There is no cush hub like you find in street bikes.
  18. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    My 610 does not have a cush clutch. It has a cush hub on the rear wheel. :excuseme:
  19. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Yours is a 2003, right? Might be a generational difference. The newer 610s have the same clutch part numbers as my 630. They both have that clutch spring cup washer issue that's popping up on a few forums. The cush spring washers fall apart and throw bits all over the engine.
  20. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Hey Jesse, when you took your clutch apart, did you see any signs of impending doom?