630 Longevity Concerns

Discussion in '610/630' started by jtemple, Mar 14, 2012.

1. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I have a TE630. It is my only motorcycle. I bought it because I wanted a highway capable, lightweight dual sport bike. I love it to death.

I commute on it, about 35 miles per day. My commute average speed is about 45 mph, I'd guess, with about 75-80% of that at 55 mph speeds, and my choice of either gravel or pavement.

I have a season and a half of riding on this bike, consisting of some road trips, day rides, and my commute. Two of the road trips were 500-600 miles, one of them was 2500+ miles.

The more I read about these bikes (and Huskys in general), the more I'm concerned that I might be fast tracking my bike to an early grave.

I have never rebuilt an engine, but I'm confident that given the need to, I could learn how to do it and get it done.

On the other hand, I'm wondering if this is not the right bike for me. The problem is that it's exactly what I want. I can't find another bike that fits what I'm looking for but is designed to take what I'm dishing out.

Ideally, I'd get a second street bike and keep the 630 garaged until needed for dual sport rides. I think that sounds like a great idea. My wife thinks otherwise. :)

I'm torn between just riding the wheels off of this bike and seeing what happens, or parking it unless I'm going on a day ride or road trip. That is, no more racking up miles riding to work. The down side is that sometimes that's all I get. It sure isn't any fun looking at a pretty bike sitting in the garage.

The only other bikes on the market that fit what I want and may be more suited for a higher mileage rider is the DRZ400S and the WR250R. Maintenance and longevity aside, I think the 630 blows the wheels off of either of the bikes.

Thoughts?
  2. LRPct Husqvarna
    AA Class

I learn more and more every day just how true "you can't take it with you"... As much as a cheapskate I am this is what makes me lean more towards, "twist the throttle, ride the friggen wheels off it... Its what you enjoy, enjoy it to its fullest every time you can... When / if something breaks, its just a machine, fix it, rinse n repeat.."

The same could be said of almost any daily activity with the frailty of life.. don't sweat the small stuff..
  3. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    So true, so true. Just continue to keep on top of the preventive maintenance and ride, ride, ride. If it breaks fix it. Surely an engine overhaul will be cheaper than the cost of a street bike and then doubling your insurance cost. I'm actually the opposite of you, I have two street bikes that haven't been getting much use since I purchased the TE. Both will be put up for sale this month. All my trips thus far and planned for this year have dirt at the end of the road so the TE gets the nod every time.

I've had similar thoughts as you as my bike is only 5-1/2 months new and I have 9,000 miles already. I still have another 6+ months of warranty remaining so no out of pocket concerns yet but even after the warranty is gone I won't reduce my riding. Getting such good use and service from the bike only confirms my purchase as being a great decision. Higher the miles = more riding = more enjoyment.

_
    motranqui and jtemple like this.
  4. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    I hear the concerns with putting on the miles in the short term on our 630. They are great bikes. The sad part about these bikes is they a one year wonder and that is scary. It's not like the XRL that is a 29 year old design, or a KLR that is a 28 year old design, a DRZ that is a 12 year old design, a DR that is...? The 630 is the bastard child of two proven reliable engines that was only given 1 year. I trust the longevity of the 630 but are we going to be able to get parts for it for the next 30 years like the Japanese thumpers? For the next 10 years? I have 3.5k+ on my TE 630 in just over a year. It is my favorite bike I have ever owned. I would not want to commute on it, only because off adding on the road miles. If I had to commute on a bike I would get a cheap used mid sized street bike. No need for a liter bike to commute on imo. Save the wheelies for the dirt. :thumbsup:

I have owned a DRZ400S. Bought it new and sold it with 13k on it. I wouldn't want to commute on it. Never rode the SM model, but it is geared taller and you can put sticky tires on it. The SM should be more fun as a commuter. When you look at the specs. the DRZ has as much or even a touch more HP then the Japanese 650 thumpers. Not sure about the Yamaha 250, but have heard from people that have rode them and I don't think you would be happy with one. An in line 4, air cooled 750 with a 4 into1 pipe would be my commuter of choice. :cheers:
    motranqui and jtemple like this.
  5. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
    To me a bike is a toy & a relatively cheap one at that compared with some peoples' hobbies. My view is you buy it new or close, ride it as much as you can for 3-4 years then trade up for newer technology and reliability. If it cost say $9K and you can trade it for say $3K after 4 years, it's only cost $6K over 4 years or $1,500 a year, which is bugger all for one's passion.

With the milage you've done and the US clearances you've already suffered most of the depreciation, so just keep on riding it & fix things if & when required.

Re the DRZ400S, it's not in the same league. I bought a new DRZ400E (more dirt orientated, lighter & a little more power than the S) in 2009 but sold it after 2 years at it was hopeless on the road, even geared right up. The 400S wouldn't be much better as I was running similar gearing on the E.

I still remember when I test rode the TE & had to hop back on the DRZ to ride home - how gutless, undergeared & unrefined it felt. I couldn't get on the TE quickly enough, picked it up the following weekend & haven't looked back. I love the thing, probably more than any other bike I've owned, & there's been a few.

The only bike I would consider in its place is the KTM690R - wonderful bike and a real weapon, particularly the 2012 model with full 690cc. Probably my next bike the way Husky is (sadly) headed.

Regards,
    Russ
    McKay and jtemple like this.
  6. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

No ... the 630 is not like the rest of the Husky range. It has the same parentage but is definitely NOT in the competition range. My first choice was a Husaberg 570 but I wasn´t up to the service intervals and I certainly didn´t want to change a piston per season. I commute with the 630 about 65 kms each way ... on the German autobahn (no speed limit), on twisty country roads and on a bit of sand track. I change the oil etc. regularly and have found the 630 to be a reliable, street legal alternative to the BMWs and Nippon bikes. Don´t think you need worry.
    jtemple likes this.
  7. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    Barring the cylinder head and one or two other small pieces, the 630 is the same bike as the 610.
    The pool of spares required for the 630 is substantially common to the 510 (for the cylinder head) and the 610 - of which there are many out there

How are the 610's holding up, particularly the ones from 06 onwards ?
    I know of a few with +20K miles on them, that have cost very few maintenance $$$ and are still running fine.

When things do wear out, replace them - cheaper than buying a new scoot.

And if you are really concerned about the availabilty of certain engine spares down the line, then future proof yourself and take out some insurance and buy them now and put them away for if and when you need them.
    Then put you mind at rest and pile on the miles and enjoyment.
    jtemple likes this.
  8. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    The consensus from you folks, friends and family is to just ride the dang thing and don't worry about it. I think that's what I'm going to do. It's a lot more fun that looking at it in the garage. :D
    rajobigguy likes this.
  9. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    +1 on this. I had a DRZ for a few years and wouldn't bad mouth the things at all (total gas and go...never gave me a lick of problems.) When I got the TE I kept the DRZ for a little while (only as long as it took to sell, which wasn't long) and man oh man...getting back on the DRZ after about a week on the TE indeed left it feeling gutless and unrefined. I was shocked. Now I had some idea of what I had been missing (had an old KTM RXC LC4 prior) but the difference was indeed stark. Again- don't get me wrong as I don't want to bash the DRZ...it was great for what it was and then some...but man it left me wanting more. Like many, I evaluated if it would be worth the time/expense to spec it better for weight, gearing and farkles and quickly concluded that a change of bikes was in order (that, and right at that time, I learned I could get a new 630 for 6100 so after selling the DRZ that was around 3600 out of pocket which made it a no-brainer for me.)

Jesse- I think the rest of us are looking at guys like you and SilverBullet (and some others, I'm sure) to see how the long-term/higher mileage on these bikes turns out. I sure appreciate everyone's contributions on this forum a great, great deal.
    jtemple likes this.
  10. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I guess I am somewhat a pioneer! I have a very early production run as well (I also paid FULL MSRP :(). VIN number on my bike is 15.

I have never rebuilt an engine in my life, but I am pretty mechanically inclined. This bike will most likely be my first engine rebuild.
  11. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    I find the less I worry about items or issues that I think are issues...........the less stuff goes wrong or EVER gives me any issues. I think it's our brain playing tricks on us. Ride it and worry about something else......you might be surprised.
    No Clue and jtemple like this.
  12. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'd not be worried as long as you are meticulous about quality of fuel, use clean and efficient air filters and do frequent oil changes. My 80 TE510 had 8000 miles and over 300 hours on it and it still ran flawless before I sold it.. Nothing but chain, sprockets, brake pads and tires needed.

I would expect the 630 to easily triple or quadruple the longivity of the 510 due to the nature of the two engines and the wide ratio 630 gearbox.
    jtemple likes this.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Ride the wheels off it. If the motor gets tired freshen it up and ride the wheels off it. Those are durable bikes and that platform is well proven. Thats what you bought it for right. Enjoy. :thumbsup:
    jtemple likes this.
  14. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    I went from a DRZ400 with 20000 KM on it to the 630. I have no doubt the 630 will last for many miles! The engine is in a relatively mild state of tune and has life extending gear such as three oil filters, three ring piston, and a robust transmission. Other than a few clutch rivet failures and cam chain wear on the 610 there have been very few failures and it is at least as reliable as the competition. Even if you have to rebuild it after a few years, it only has one piston and 4 valves so rebuild cost is low. Enjoy the ride!!
    jtemple and Huskyfly like this.
  15. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Thanks everyone!
  16. bpowa Husqvarna
    B Class

i had a drzsm for 4 months and put 3500 miles on it. it was the only bike i could afford after hitting a deer on my kawi636. it was a inbetween bike to a sports bike. after i saved a couple more grand i sold the drz and got my r1. i always said the drz is a great bike. if it only had about 15 more hp and better brakes i would love it. itching to ride a supermoto i searched and found the sale of the 630. 6k msrp. i jumped on it. it has everything that the drz missed.

however if i had to choose 1 bike i would still keep the r1. its a tough choice. but. i like fast speed sweepers that the husky cant. however. i put about 500 miles since i got the husky. 3600 miles and climbing. i figures i save money on tires with this bike but im going through tires faster than the r1.

i know the r1 is a solid bike 26k miles and still runs great. friends of mines have asport bikes with 100k miles. i doubt the husky can put as much miles before a rebuild. also afrain of availibility of parts. aftermarket parts are grimm. total cost is r1 is cheaper than what i got the husky for used.
  17. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I think tires on the Husky vs tires on a liter bike are a wash. I might burn through a set of tires in 1500 miles on my Husky vs 3000-5000 on a liter bike, but sportbike tires are nearly $400 a set after mounting. I can get a set of tires for my TE for $150 or so and mount them myself.
  18. bpowa Husqvarna
    B Class

i just spend 140 for a rear. probably sm tires cost more. the r1 rear was 145. i get 2.6-3k on the r1. depending on the tire. just spent 400 + on tires for both bikes. ouch.
  19. JoiseyJanet Husqvarna
    AA Class

The commuter miles do sneak up. I would consider the WR250R for commuter duty over the DRZ for its more relaxed 6th gear, higher alternator output and longer intervals for valve inspections/adjustments.
    I would save the TE630 for weekends and trips and send my wheel to Woody's in the winter for a cush drive.
  20. TE 450 Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

It seems more then one 630 has had a bad temp sensor. I'm thinking i may need to buy a box of them :eek: Not too many other issues with these bike that i know of