2015 Husqvarna model lineup (words only)

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by robertaccio, Jan 16, 2014.

1. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Jesus wept ...
  2. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    KTM/Husaberg off road bikes sold in NY have restricted MSO's. I assume a Husky produced by KTM, will have the same restriction now. I stopped at closest Husky dealer and they had just gotten bikes that day, but MSO's had not arrived yet. I bought my Husaberg from a dealer in PA, because this restriction is not on a KTM produced bike, sold in that State.
  3. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Ktm stopped using exc on two strokes after 2004 didn't they? Well the ones imported to the united states anyway. They stopped putting the head light and spark arrestor silencer. It does appear Husaberg two strokes came with a headlight lately but it is either xc or xcw or sx on the two stroke front from ktm.

Lots of states have motorcycle inspections which certianly complicates matters if you jump through the hoops to get the plate in the first place.

I havn't entered an enduro for a number of years but they do/did almost always look to make sure the plate, registration paper and number stamped (or whatever techniue is used to create that number) near the steering neck corresponded. Dealer plates are another matter. I would be careful where you make that bet about 10% of the bikes being mis matched.

As for the 2015 model line up
  4. Tessier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990 Adventure
    The next big thing will be electric bikes with swappable quick charging batteries. Were on the cusp of it with bigs like Zero making size able gains each year. Within 10 years we'll all be eyeing electrics.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I think there are huge advantages to E bikes, once we see them getting 70 plus off road miles out of them I'll own one as will many.
  6. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I would love an electric bike for around home and some other situations. We have a local Zero Dealer and I'm sorry to say, the bikes are junk.... substandard components and running problems. Bramo makes a better product.
  7. BaronVonDarrin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 te630
    Other Motorcycles:
    wr250r, CL175
    what are the advantages of a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke and vica versa? I tried googling it and stuff but it just seems like a bunch of jerks arguing about god knows what to me.

I agree electric bikes have some great advantages... outside of sounding like a drill and a bucket of bolts rolling along (quieter means you hear all the suspension noise and stuff - dont sound too pretty)... but batteries are essentially the tech we are waiting on. They take too long to recharge (hours vs minutes) and do not run all that long. Though the length is certainly getting longer (zero and brammo have some long running bikes). The batteries need to be more like mega awesome capacitors in regards to charging before they really take off I think. Charging time is really crucial to anyone who wants to travel or even puts around town too.
  8. BaronVonDarrin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 te630
    Other Motorcycles:
    wr250r, CL175
    i dont like any of brammos offerings honestly. zero at least has stuff that looks like its supposed to get dirty.
  9. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Looks like is the word....
  10. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

the bottleneck to "charging time" is the power supply. with 110 volts and 20 amperes, the "household limit" is 2.2 kilowatts. therefor, it does not matter whether you'd be charging 10 kilowatt-hours into battery cells or some type of super-capacitor. the time would always be more or less the same.

r
  11. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Based on the KTM website, they have a 2014 300 EXC: http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/300-exc-eu/highlights.html#.UzAuC4Xvh8E

The XC-W models have a factory headlight and taillight, but no spark arrestor. There are lots of aftermarket options for spark arrestors. I see lots of plated XC-Ws, rode with a guy yesterday with a brand new 200 XC-W in fact.

Well, I've been at 2 enduros in the past 2 weeks, probably 10 in the past 2 years, and another 10+ dual sports. I have seen, and personally know, some guys running non-legitimate plates. I can't say exactly what the percentage is, but it is definitely out there.

2 strokes have no valves, no cams, and no timing chains. That means never checking valve clearances, never changing cam chains. It also means that you have something like 10-20 (4 valves, 4 valve springs, 2 cams, 1 chain, chain guides, tensioner, buckets, shims, rockers...) less moving parts to wear or fail, and there are zero moving parts in the top end. They have less rotating mass so the engine is super snappy. They are cheaper to maintain for a racer, in my experience. In theory they turn faster, because of less rotating mass (not sure how significant this actually is). A 2-stroke will run down to nearly zero RPM without stalling. Working on them is way easier, because they are simpler and there isn't any timing to worry about. They tend to be slightly lighter, because they are smaller (for a given power) and have less parts. They also tend to package smaller for a given horsepower.

4-strokes are much more tolerant of extended riding at light throttle. On long trips and light street riding, a 4 stroke is much better suited (although guys were riding 2-stroke enduros across the country in the 70s, so it can be done). Some people like the way 4-strokes get traction better, because the power pulses are twice as far apart. 4 strokes don't require premix oil in the gas. 4-stroke powerbands tend to be flatter (less pipey), although it depends on tuning.

I have both, and probably always will. For trail riding and racing, I am a HUGE 2-stroke fan. For dual sporting, supermoto, and street riding, a 4-stroke is hard to beat.
    bigjon and BaronVonDarrin like this.
  12. BaronVonDarrin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 te630
    Other Motorcycles:
    wr250r, CL175
    I am familiar with the mechanical operation in a 2 stroke but I can not understand where this stuff I hear about 2 strokes seizing on road riding comes from? As in what would cause that. I have also heard two strokes have a very small window in the rpms when they make their power, very non linear power. Is this true? seems it would make it difficult to ride - I did not know that about the low rpm running without stalling out though.

Are most two strokes a single tank that requires premixing? What would one expect to get out of them as far as miles per gallon?

I would like to try riding one sometime but I am not apt to buy one in order to do so. ha.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    No most modern 2 strokes make a nice broad power range and are Ez and don't stall.

Unlike a 4 stroke 2 strokes are very hard to stall and very EZ to bump start of your still rolling. Much lower compression is part of the reason.

highly bike and rider dependant but 20-35 with around 30 mpg being semi typical for good hard trail riding on a well sorted bike.

you really should. For tighter woods work they are hard to beat. For more open stuff 4 strokes are typically better.
    BaronVonDarrin and Kyle Tarry like this.
  14. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    You need to ride one to experience it, the power delivery is different and it changes the character of the bike.

2-strokes can seize when run for extended periods of time at higher engine speed and low throttle (such as high speed pavement or dirt road cruising), if they are not jetted right. That's because they get all their lubrication through the premix, so scenarios where the engine speed is high but the fuel consumption is low (because you're not using a lot of throttle/power) can result in starving the engine of oil. Properly jetted, this is rare. I have ridden my WR at a bunch of the big dual sports (Dirty Dabbers, Hancock, Michaux, Hammer Run), and those sometimes have long road sections to connect trail, and I have no issues. This is not really something to be worried about.

Power delivery is VERY dependent on the way a bike is set up, just like a 4-stroke. A motocross 125 will tend to be very "pipey", where there is a big power hit; however, a woods bike isn't like that at all. A WR250/300 or a KTM300 type of setup can be mellow and have a really linear power delivery; I think my 300 has a wider spread of power than my 610. You need to ride one before you judge it. Being pipey isn't all bad either, 125s are super fun and engaging to ride because the motor has so much character and you have to work to keep it "in the zone."

All modern 2-stroke dirtbikes are premix (you mix the oil and gas manually, inside the single main tank). Snowmobiles are mostly (all?) oil injection, where you fill a separate tank with oil and a pump automatically lubricates the engine.

As far as fuel economy, I generally get around 15-30 mpg using my bike in the woods. Under the same conditions I expect that I get something like 25-35 mpg out of my 610. 2-strokes are definitely less efficient, but it's not bad enough to be a problem. I hit reserve around 60 miles on my stock tank (around 2 gallons, maybe a bit more).
    BaronVonDarrin likes this.
  15. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

additionally to what kyle tarry wrote:
    enduro bikes have very large radiators. going 60 mph or so on a 250 or 300 is basically a "low load" condition (it only takes 10-12 hp to go 60 mph on the road).
    so when the wheather is rather cold the large radiators can cool down your cylinder to a point where the engine "cold seizes", no matter how long you have wamred up the engine, or how many hills you climbed just prior to that "connect section".

r
    BILLF and Norman Foley like this.
  16. BaronVonDarrin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 te630
    Other Motorcycles:
    wr250r, CL175
    well I gotta say you make 2 strokes seem kind of superior to 4 strokes.
  17. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    For the way I use my dirt bikes, they are. That's why I have one. :lol: I trail ride aggressively and race.

It all depends on usage. 2-strokes don't make great long haul road bikes, or commuters. If that's what you do, they aren't as good. I've done the TAT twice, and I wouldn't do something like that on a 2-stroke.
  18. spud1968 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Do any of you guys know why KTM has not used the Husaberg slanted 70degree engine to make a new Husky? With a little development the 390 was a brilliant woods racer and great on the road. I can not see why i'd buy a white KTM with Husqvarna logo's splashed all over it. I must be missing something, if i want a KTM then i'd buy one. My tolerance for KTM ran out with my Husaberg 350, its better to buy the bike from the brand that's a mimic rather then buy the mimic.
    268fords and Radbuster like this.
  19. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    They haven't used the 70 degree engine in years.
  20. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 was the last year for the 70 degree engine. It was not available in the US that year, only the 2T bikes. Husaberg 70 degree bikes won 2 Enduro World Championships in that swan song year...
    ray_ray likes this.