1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2014 TE449 Still Stalling, Surging and not Running Right

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by mendo, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Anyway, this arguing is pointless. Enjoy your 449 and someday if you decide to add a powercommander, you will understand what I what I have been trying to explain. peace - M
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Sorry but I disagree. I did the mod, did not make my bike less smooth at all. Made it much more consistent and reliable (you get exactly what your right hand asked for). Really did not change the smoothness at all on my bike nor change the feel of the bike. Only made it better. I personally on my bike have seen zero down side and only better and more consistent running.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    That Dyno graph is my personal TE511 on JD's Dyno. My bike stock would not pull past 8K. JD said it was so crazy lean it would just fall on its face. The JD tuners was programmed to add a lot of fuel. The results were 11HP!!! When I got the bike back from him with the JD tuner is was transformed. Ran way better harder and cooler. Then I sent my ECU to ZipTy and they remapped it. Ran even better. Still had a slight tendency to stall in tight gnar. Added a MWEE clutch lever and that helped technical gnar riding a ton. Now I have done the butterfly removal and my bike runs better than ever. The new stall free nature of the bike (more fuel and butterfly removal) and the MWEE clutch lever have brought this bike to a level I really did not think was possible. My results on my bike according to me. Nothing more. Do what you like with yours. Mine runs so freaking good not it is insane. Last ride traded off with a buddy who loves his very nice KTM 350. He handed my bike back to me after a few miles saying "I cant ride this bike anymore or I will hate mine. The motor is magic and the suspension (ZipTy) is amazing" Now thats an endorsement. Actually the word he used to describe my motor was "beautiful" which I thought was a funny word to use but spot on.

I believe the butterfly removal is a very good mod. I also believe the TE models need some sort of EFI richening.
    danny318 likes this.
  4. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    46hp, no, that is incorrect. <- This is incorrect!

http://motosports.lv/E84E3207-5E92-...2FA93A8ED/site/i/449_511_analize_apraksti.pdf

Refer to the above Husqvarna brochure, P18, supplied to dealers.
    It actually states 46.5hp for TE449, on par with other bikes of it's day & 51 for TE511.
    If you are going to make statements about power, state wheel or engine readings, there is a huge difference.

Yes, I imagine all the bikes listed in that dealer release could make more power with some tuning, my point is that not every bike needs it.

Not 'running to potential' & 'running dangerously lean' are two completely different kettle of fish.
    I would be very concerned about the second condition.
    If however, I had test ridden the bike & was happy with how the engine ran standard, I'd be more inclined to leave it alone if I wasn't going to race it!
    There is far more to be gained in things like suspension tuning than making more power. Numbers on a page don't make a bike/car fast, control does.
  5. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125

EXACTLY!

And aliens haven't abducted your bike or anything???? No Zombie apocalypse?? Moon still rising ok for you guys?
    Far out!:confused:
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Lets keep this conversation civil. All good info from all sides. Information is good, use it how you like and how it applies to your needs. Simple. I agree with both you and Tinken. These bikes are dangerously lean stock (gets it through EPA) They come with a power up plug for a reason (makes it run semi acceptable). The map3 works as it is richer and the JD works because it is richer (now we are getting close). The PCV works because it makes the A/F correct and it the most precise method (best fueling solution). the TXC's and TC's run better because they have a richer fuel map. The butterfly mod works because you don't have a second throttle overthinking what you commanded your bike to do. My butterfly mod was enhanced but my JD fuel tweaking. You are all right, there is no need to take the conversation past that and make stuff personal. Its nothing more than great info we can use as we need.
  7. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    The link doesn't work for me. It could be that the TE's there have the same throttle limiter that the TR650s sold in Australia have. I don't have a link but it has something to do with having to prove to the dealer or possibly the government that you have been a safe rider for a length of time before they will sell/install the part that lets the throttle fully open.
  8. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125

Link works ok when I click it, never mind. (Sorry about my computer skills there)
    [If you type into Google 'double flap Husqvarna' it is a pdf second from the top].

No we don't get a throttle stop here.
    Our bikes here have the same ecu p/no. as for Europe, you guys get a for US/Can only ecu.
    Our ecus may have better fueling from new.......?!?
  9. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125

Lets keep this conversation civil -Point taken.

My bike has none of the above mods & is fine.

I am part way through getting an AFR kit sorted & want to do some runs with it attached to see what it reveals.
    When I have the numbers I will post them, not for any other reason than to see how a standard bike is.
  10. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125

Correct it is pointless. Agreed, it should always be about the improving of the bikes!

I won't be adding a piggyback as the bike already has over 115hrs on it & runs sweet now.
    I'm well aware there is more in there, but it doesn't need any more power than I have.
    If I did want more I would definitely fit a PCV for sure.

Peace to you too.

D.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'm almost sure yours are different than ours. I sent a few JD tuners to Australia and they did not work and were totally in the wrong range. JD sorted it. He / They would know what the differences are. You fuel is drastically different than ours.
  12. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    Our bikes come with that big pipe with the massive catalytic converter, smog cannisters, and extemely lean
    fueling. The EPA here demands the bikes exhaust very little pollution, meaning they get very little fuel.
    PLUS, our gas is different. I also am a big PCV fan, a vast # of race teams & enthususiast use this product,
    Honda, Suzuki,harleys,yamaha,and everyone else. It is the ultimate solution to fueling, ignition, dyno tuning
    These engines. Our Parts, gas, and most everything else is so much cheaper than Australia, the expense is
    For me at least minute. I am getting tired of the attitudes and backbiting. Might be time to move on.
  13. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125

Our basic unleaded is 91oct, mid-price fuel is 95 (your 'high octane').
    We can also purchase 98 oct at any service station and is the only fuel I use in my bikes.

I did a fair bit of p/no. fishing a while ago (it's a bit hazy now) but I remember the 2011 TE449/511 all had the 1 part number in the catalog.
    When I looked up 2012 onward, it showed 449 & 511 as different & also p/no.s for various markets, Eu/Aus & US/Can.
    As I said, just going from memory
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Its more than just the octane. Your fuel is quite different as I need to send JD tuners and Lectron carbs with different setups than we use here.
  15. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    Here's an sincere question. We all agree that Husky has to dumb the bikes down quite a bit to make them 50 state legal in the US. I love my bike, it runs fine for me and cost me $3500 less (rebate) than an KTM 500 EXC but do KTM's have similar issues? Again, I'm not bashing Husky just thinking out loud.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Absolutely. Good friend I ride with all the time has an off road only KTM 350. I nicknamed it the stall master as he is stalling it all the time. My uncorked TE511 runs WAY better than his JD'd off road KTM 350. Lots of flame out issues with KTM EFI's
  17. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125

Here in Australia, not at all.
    It is a shame you guys get fed that stuff!
    None of the other bikes we ride with ever stall - EFI WRs, YZs, Bergs (70deg eng & newer both), KTMs etc.(All but the YZ road legal)
    My TE was the only bike of these to suffer from fueling issues.
    Doubtless they can all be improved with tuning and make more power, but they all continue to run when asked as a standard bike.
    511SF likes this.
  18. bigmo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449

Absolutely. KTM has not made a true "ready to race" bike since around 2003ish. They progressively required more and more tinkering and mods to get them running correctly.

Ten years ago, a pro could take one out of the crate, throw a set of handguards on and run it as-is. Those days are gone.

I do believe KTM is a bit ahead of Husky, however, as the last couple of years they have been running pretty well out of the crate - and quiet too!

This is one of those areas that will improve my merging engineering departments. I guarantee both groups had independent secrets of the trade that we will no doubt benefit on. That is, of course, if you can afford a $12K dirt bike in the neasr future!
  19. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Oh the price :eek:
    Here in Aus, the new Huskybergs are the most expensive in class, FE450 is $13,295 au.

Most of the others are around $12,500 tops, even less for models that haven't seen an update for a bit.
    But to be fair the testers love them, linkage rear & all, only saying the springs are soft.
    I read that they are the spring rates Husaberg used 2 models ago, before moving to stiffer rates on the newer ones.
  20. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    KTM and the italian huskys were shipped to Australia with the emissions equipment assembled with the bikes. In general that would be lean mapping, intake and exhaust restricters, throttle stops, catalytic converters, open loop fueling and ultra high grearing. I dont know of any dealers here who dont do a pre sale prep on the bikes - they rip all of it off because you cant use the bike for its intended purpose with it on.
    511SF and Dangermouse449 like this.