2014 Husqvarna line

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by robertaccio, May 21, 2013.

1. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Someone please correct any of this I might be off-base on on this pds thing ...

That PDS system eliminates the linkage part of the system... Meaning that knuckling stuff is gone and the shock bolts directly to the frame and SA ... Yes, the 449 stuff bolts to the top of the SA but has some sort of linkage there making it different from a pds system ... Not sure why, but that knuckling stuff plays a big part in the dampening of the suspension ...McGrath quit ktm yrs ago and said they would never win at sx till they changed from that pds system ...

I'd probably be OK with pds because it eliminates so much maintenance even if the ride was not ~quite as good ... I ain't a PRO and never will be and don't need what ever it is that they ride with in some cases ...

Not sure on those WP forks but past experience has proven that what works for me does not work for others so I'm guessing those forks will be OK for me also with some slight adjustments ... Why not? They are a modern day design?

Have you ever rode a Husky 250 4t? These are very cool bikes in more than one way ..
    Indorider and LandofMotards like this.
  3. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have no problem with the current linkage on my Husky but the KTM type PDS is not bad at all and I can make it work as good as any offroad bike that I have had. The trick is a straight rate spring that gives you the correct sags with minimal preload.
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    What about the WP forks? Any experience with those?
  5. Radbuster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR125 '10
    I agree,
    I weigh 185-190 nekkid and after upping the rear spring to two rates up (can't remember the numbers) and going back to the stock .42s in front from suggested .44s, changing to SKF fork seals and removing about 20% from the mid valve and 30-40% from the low speed compression, my Husaberg Fe450 '10 is dandy.
    Stock, the chassis was hideous, but the solution was cheap. Too bad the pre-production testing and resulting setting were so grim, it just wasn't safe and could spit you off at the strangest times. Not everybody is prepared to do a full fault-finding and setup cycle. I was bitter about it for some time, but it is very nice now and I also feel sorry for it sïnce it now is a "KTM bastid" ;) even though it won two world championships last year :banghead:
    MikeB likes this.
  6. Radbuster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR125 '10
    I had a Sherco 4.5i 2006 for a while and it was a brilliant design, reliable and a wonderful ride. After testing and setting up the ergos, suspension and gearing, the final settings were EXACTLY, on the same clicks compression/rebound/high-speed comp and springs front and rear, as the factory settings and as suggested in the manual. I sold it because it was too big for tight woods and after searching the net the only hit was the .com of the factory. Eerie feeling being the only one out there. If I had the money and had to go racing with no time to set up a bike, I'd be confident in a box-stock 300i off the showroom floor would be a good solution. I really have a soft spot for Sherco and hope they do well.
  7. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    The Closed Cartridge WP forks on my '12 Husaberg TE 250, are the best stock forks I've ever had, but I don't do MX. From fast whooped out trail to very rocky technical stuff, they just work. The stock Husaberg valving is different than KTM's CC WP's though. Husaberg switched to the 4CS fork this year and KTM only had it on the Six Days models. Once again... there didn't seem to be complaints on the Husaberg side, but the KTM version had riders screaming how bad it was.

I hoping the Husaberg guys do the suspension specs on the new Huskys, if they use WP's.
    Phoenix and ray_ray like this.
  8. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Have you ever rode a Husky 250 4t? These are very cool bikes in more than one way ..[/quote]
    I've ridden and like 4t street bikes but I haven't ridden many off-road 4ts, every time I do I can't get off of them fast enough. The Honda CRF250 I rode felt like an underpowered POS but it's probably because the way it delivers power is so different. My son's CRF450R was much better but felt like trying to steer a barge through the woods, it will turn but you have to start a lot sooner than a 2t. The reason I might like the Beta is light weight and big displacement + street legal. Honestly if I had one I would probably ride my Husky 95% of the time.
    Olive xm likes this.
  9. birdy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310R
    WP makes good stuff but what they someteimes deliver for normal production bikes is very bad.

The early 4cs fork on the sixday models (I have a 250 smoker with that fork) sucks. The Husaberg ones came later and had a little internal change.

Anyway KTM own WP and they will bring that stuff.

Kayaba and Showa is just better when is comes to normal production stuff.
  10. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Only on KTMs. The open chamber WPs are not bad. At least as good as the Marzocchi forks if not better. To be honest once I have the forks dialed in , I can't say which is better USD forks. Marzocchi , WP or Kayaba. (I do like Showa standard forks best)
    ray_ray and Coffee like this.
  11. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    I've had tons of KTM's since 1984. The WP is <now> a very nice product, front and rear. For some reason, however, KTM has consistently sent them out with valving that is not the best it can be. There are very few riders I come across who like the stock settings. The Husaberg have many times been better, out of the crate, and the aftermarket tuners can do a very good job with WP. A good friend also has the 12 Husaberg TE250 that Norman mentioned above, and the forks (WP closed chamber) are the best STOCK fork I've ever ridden. So I don't feel we'll be set back by the WP products, themselves, it will matter how they're doing the set-up.

If we're gonna complain about stock settings, however, I'd have to mention how awful the 50mm Marzocchi was set up on my 09 TE. It was a FANTASTIC fork once I went through it, but out of the crate... well... we probably shouldn't be complaining about stock KTM forks!! My current Husky KYB's were at least on the map and, while Husky got ridiculed a bit for using an "old" KYB fork that Yamaha had moved beyond years ago... they flat work with just a little of the usual tweaking.

I've now owned 2 Husky's with Sachs shocks, and I'm really liking them. Easy to rebuild and revalve with no special tools, and the performance I'm now getting out of my '12 144 is fantastic. Pro-Circuit tends to remove the check-ball rebound system, probably because there were some noise and reliability issues a few years ago, but I think it's now working great, and it avoids a problem that I see on almost every other shock: Adjusting the rebound clicker also affects compression damping. This effect is almost completely eliminated by Sachs' check-ball system. It works and I like it. Would really like to see that shock continue to be developed, but it's doubtful we'll see that on a Kahuskaberg.
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    This is what I suspected, but unlike you I do not have experience to make a useful comment.

I really appreciate your input. :cheers:
  13. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    AFAIK, PDS stands for Progressive Damping System. Meaning the spring and valving aren't linear throughout the stroke. If you take a small hit, there is a soft spring to deal with that, but as you need more that same non-linear spring slows down the hit more and more as needed. I hope I explained that okay...

From my experience, a poorly set up PDS is a POS! I've ridden a bunch of different KTM's and after any rocky hill climb I traded bikes back ASAP. They are like a pogo stick, you just can't keep that back tire on the ground.
  14. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    I was listening to a local Husaberg dealer quote some prices to a guy on Saturday morning.....everything seemed to start with 8 or 9... like $9295 ...ouch
  15. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R

PDS is really an attempt to avoid linkage by using progressive dampening and springing instead....most would say it is only partially successful...but it is simple.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    PDS has no linkage. Linkage provides rising rate meaning the spring and damping get stiffer as the travel gets deeper int he stroke. PDS uses all sorts of tricks to make it act like a progressive linkage. More races have been won on PDS than anything. I still don't like it and there is a reason KTM after 15 years of running it now has several linkage bikes. the funny think is they seem to have finally made it work Ok and not are jumping ship back to linkage. WP components are just OK. Used to be CRAP but about 08 got somewhat better. Now they are almost as good as KYB / Showa. My opinion only.

as for the "new" huskys I hope we see more than just Bergs with husky on the side as you can already by a Berg if you want and this would simply mean just one less choice (Real huskys). The 125, x-lights and even the 449/511 and new 650 gone husky is gone and just a rebadged Berg which is a KTM with some upgrades. All that is fine but there is no more unique husky. Just less choices. I like odd stuff, drive a Saab, ride a husky etc. If they become a Berg/KTM there is a good chance i will ride Beta, TM, or Sherco when I drop money the next time. All that said I love my WB165, 511 and TR650 so I could just ride those into the sunset and be happy as a clam. My 511 just got the ZipTy ECU remap and suspension and all of a sudden I am in love with it again and riding it a bunch. Lots of options but sadly I will probably be one of the guy who do not make the jump tot he KTM based bikes i could have already been riding if I chose to. Nothing at all wrong with them I just like to be a little different and not ride the same bike as everyone else.

My first husky was a 93 610, it was unique and cool and stinking FAST. Got me hooked and took me away from the main stream Yamahas i was riding.

[IMG]

Bills (BMP) got me motivated to buy a brand new husky after assuring me there would be parts and service and seeing them at a local race. I stuck a poster up on my office and it kept telling me "buy one" When all my friends were on Yamaha's and KX's at the time. I bought a 99 WR250 and fell in love. Amazing bike, unique, cool, well appointed and just cool to own. I was hooked.

[IMG]

As cool as the new Bergs (huskys) look and i know they work well being part of the 80% of the riders out there is probably just not for me. I like different and these are not. Also there is something really cool about Italian flare that draws me in. All new bikes are amazing. I might not be getting a new bike any time soon as I have three that do exactly what I need, are very unique and I love them. when I do get a new bike it probably will not be the same bike everyone else rides (KTM/Berg) simply because I ride a bike because it is cool and fun and I want somthing different to give me that feeling not a homogenized me too machine. I know, it is just me but thats whet brought me to husky to begin with, cool and different... exotic. When i got into husky there was no husky forums and we were in the exotic forum. I think thats where i personally belong. Time will tell and they are all great bikes.

"Hi, I am Kelly and I like exotic bikes", thanks for listening :)
  17. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    I really need to figure out how to get the 449 before they're gone lol
  18. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    I really like the WP suspension on my 11 300xc. If fact, I prefer the stock WP stuff to my LTR valved 10 250TXC and 09 125WR. I could never really get any Marzocci forks to work well for me.
  19. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Kelly, I pretty much feel the same way. I really fell in love with the 449 when I had first saw it. I didn't even know of Sherco, Beta, and TM until this forum. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon though. The 449 is my dream bike and I like that its odd. I get that it's not for everyone which is fine with me. I love the idea of owning the odd bike. I was really torn with the 310 and 449 but with them all going away, it made the choice easy. I can add a Athena kit to any 250 but the 449 is a special bike. I really don't ever see myself getting rid of it, just rebuilding. I don't ever want to kick myself in the butt later down the road for selling it lol. I also kind of like that they are a short run bike, not very often you'll run into another owner with one. Atleast my dream bike is more realistic now, it used to be a Ducati lol
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I really like the 50mm open chambers for off road. Put some off a TE250 on my 09 WR125 after a bad head on toasted my twin chambers and loved them.