1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2013 TE310r Electric start issues

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by airrider, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Mudvayne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310, KTM 300 XCW
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harley, CR500AF, XR650L, Z50, RC-51
    I'm not a gear expert but maybe there was an alignment issue when the original gears were cut from the factory (Misaligned/Binding) because mine were not at all that bad for being 'worn' but 50-75% of the time they would not even spin my motor over and the new gears start the bike almost instantly! As for a coating I'm not sure that would last but maybe re-hardened like a knife might do the trick, heat..oil.. and quench or whatever they do or forgot to do!! LOL
  2. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Teflon has a tensile strength of 1310 - 4350 psi and a coefficient of friction to 0.06. My coatings have a tensile strength of 400,000 psi and a coefficient of 0.04.
    Borntoride71, joedirt and Jimmy250 like this.
  3. JimBob Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310R
    Tinken, if I buy the gear set from you can you treat them before you ship them?
  4. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Jimmy250 likes this.
  5. STEVEL Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 250 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM450 EXC 2006
    Set exhaust decomp to 005/006 and it will spin up a lot easier people

Trust me do it or u will eat more gears/starters eventually
  6. AllDay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna TE310@2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ktm Exc250F, Ducati Monster S2R
    Hi,

how is your starter after few months? Is it still working well?
    If I´m correct, you just changed the gears? Starter remained original one?
    What about valve clearance? Did you set it, as recommended here on forum, or you have factory settings?
  7. Jimmy250 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Polaris Quad
    Hi I changed mine and I changed the starer as well, back in the summer , and so far so good! Hoping it remains the same! Its much nicer having the E-Start back!
    AllDay likes this.
  8. Cavery Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    I changed my starter gears, motor (with a good used one), and sprag at 75 hrs. I just passed 200 hrs and the new parts are holding up. I rarely use the kicker, and the starter never hesitates for a second, hot or cold. I did use R_Little's advice and lightly used lapping compound & green lock-tite on the shaft and flywheel mating surface to avoid shearing the woodruff key. I also added an EarthX battery, which I believe is a huge factor in making sure this fix is successful.
    Borntoride71, AllDay and Johnrg like this.
  9. Jimmy250 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Polaris Quad
    I also Did R-Little's Lapping compound trick and lock-tite etc!
  10. AllDay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna TE310@2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ktm Exc250F, Ducati Monster S2R
    @Jimmy250&Cavery, thank you, guys.

Let us update again, after few months ;)
  11. Jimmy250 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Polaris Quad
    Your quite Welcome, this forum is what helped me through it, Yep update in a few months, if u get jammed up during the work contact me.
  12. rschneider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TXC310
    Well, it looks like I am finally on the list of needing to work on the stater system. Symptoms started with occasional problems with hard starting/sticking when hot. Now I am at the point where it sticks and wont turn over even when cold. The bike has a fairly new lead acid battery. I am guessing this is probably the gears having worn through the coating. Also, when kicking the bike it feels like there is a drag and its kicking back. I am going to assuming this probably the sprag being stuck?? I am going to say I have about 200hrs on the bike, so I guess I am due for some issues. If I am going to dig into this I want to go ahead and address all the potential problems and have the parts on hand.

First on the list would be checking and adjusting the valves. I am I correct in saying that the clearances would tighten over time? So, in saying that, the recommendation was to set the exhaust on the tight side of the spec to make sure the auto decompression was functioning properly. And tight clearance would hold the valves open and reduce compression. So, tight valves are probably not my issue. But this needs to be done anyway, hasn't been done yet since new.

Next would be the starter, gears, and sprag. This should be a fairly straight forward remove and replace? Should I go ahead and assume the flywheel and key are done as well? I would guess the flywheel needs to come off to replace the driven gear anyway. Is it worth replacing with new, regardless of condition, just because we are there anyway? Other than needing some type of holder to tighten the flywheel, are there any other special tools needed? And I guess I need to get my hands on some lapping compound. Any tips or tricks to make this easier? Any thing to do while I am in there to improve longevity?

Looking for some input. Are my assumptions fairly sound? Anything I should add to my list?
  13. Jimmy250 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Polaris Quad
    This thread is great and will provide you with just about all you need to know, It did for me! There are a few special tools, like the fly wheel puller and flywheel holder tool. ( I used a Clutch basket tool). Yes some Lapping compound. And yes I replaced the starter as well. Yes sounds like you are on the right track! We have all been there, cant tell you how may batteries I tried thinking it was that. Keep me posted.
  14. mast Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310 2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    VFR VTEC / Montesa 310
    Hi,

Do you know the brand and model of the electric starter (TE310 2011), cause Hva is very expensive

Mitsuba ? Model ?

i see on eb.ay the the starter is the same of the CRF450X 2011 2013 ?

Thanks
  15. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Don't know of any place to get a starter besides a Husky dealer.
  16. Rob1965 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TXC 310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 TXC 310r, 2015 Yamaha 250fx
    Hi, we have 2 310s with the same issues. One has 92 hrs, the other around 150. One has an EarthX and the other stock battery. EarthX is not making a difference. I live in Duncan SC and would like to know if you were able to fix your issues. Our model years are 2013 and 14 (Basically the same bikes. Both have the updated starter gears.) Give me a shout out sometime.

Rob
  17. Jimmy250 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Polaris Quad
    Sorry for the delay, the starter I bought was from central jersey cycles as my regular dealer was out of stock. It was around $200 I believe. Had some bad luck with no name eBay husky parts, had a fuel pump leave me stranded in the woods.
  18. Jimmy250 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Polaris Quad
    Rob according to my dealer, the 310 model is far worse than the 250 and always have these problems. I fixed my 250 and so far so good, I tried quite a few battery's as well, no battery will help unfortunately. I will help always any info u can keep me posted! Good luck!
  19. Rob1965 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TXC 310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 TXC 310r, 2015 Yamaha 250fx

The starter on one is relatively new. I think with both bikes the gears need to be greased or something so they will turn over. When I kick and hold the button, usually it fires right up.
  20. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Sounds like my bike until I did valves twice. No issues since. Since my 13 was new it had all the starting symptoms. Warrantied gears, valve check, etc... All prior to warranty running out. I was either going to throw the bike out my second story window or sort it. My dealer was not 100% willing to re-check the valves, but I pushed. Though in spec, went one shim tighter on the shim affecting the decomp. Been fine for 2k miles after that. The Earth X has simply offered even performance and not faded in use starting in 2+ years. Occasionally engine will stick at TDC but I won't lay on the button.... Click again and turns over. So a fine line for that valve shim but I think that is the culprit if all gears and starter are OK such as on the late 13 and 14. My dealer was quick to blame the little starter but was not of much help. Michael, AKA Tinken, was the one who said to check the valves again, so I prodded my dealer into re-checking since I don't stock shims. Stuck at .229 and went tighter. No problems since.
    Borntoride71 likes this.