1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2013 TE310r Electric start issues

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by airrider, Jun 11, 2014.

1. beck Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310R // 2014 Terra 650
    Yes - I must have assembled the starter 180 degrees from where it should be, I took it apart and lined up the markers (did not do this first time, oops).

Long story short, still not fixed completely and punting. Pulling the starter, installing a blocking plate and making it kick only now.
    Borntoride71 likes this.
  2. need2boat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC310
    Other Motorcycles:
    1993 BMW K75s
    Bill is talking about the starter, Woodruff key and assembly. See attached pic

Attached Files:

Borntoride71 and BILLF like this.
  3. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    #30 key is the one that spins out now and then,also make sure the starter motor is turning the correct way some can get the magnet pack out of phase and it will turn the wrong way.?.If it isnt that it has to be the starter clutch behind the flywheel or the flywheel itself is loose.
  4. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    all TE310 MY13 frame DV00001 TO DV000203 WILL GET WARRANTY GEAR SETS,if it was fixed early on by parts in inventory could have got old stuff but it looks like it just has the soft stuff there in the pics.
    TXC 250 MY13 DV000002-DV000223
    TXC MY DV000001-DV000261
    Borntoride71 likes this.
  5. bensl Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610, te310
    Other Motorcycles:
    ducati diavel
    doh! i did the same (what a goose i feel!). thanks for the tip

now when i put it back together (the right way), and test it, it spins as it should but when i put it back on the bike it tries to turn it over for a few seconds then stops working at all. the bike clicks but the starter wont work. when i pull the starter again and test it it works again but then the process is repeated. almost feels like a dodgy battery but i have it jumped off another so that cant be it. can starters lose power when they are shot?

any ideas?

thanks for the help.
  6. need2boat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC310
    Other Motorcycles:
    1993 BMW K75s
    how long do you need to wait before the starter will work again. If you're doing this in the shop did you put a volt meeter on the battery or a charger on it. Maybe see if the battery is just taking a hit from all the use you've been getting?

When you say it just stops is the starter binding, or just not starting. when you had everything out. Did you ding into the flywheel and sprang?
  7. JimBob Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310R
    Change the temp sensor on the back of the cylinder. Order 2 of them so you have a spare. The bike will not start with the button hot when it is in gear. Make certain it's in neutral and your temp sensor is working and it should start.
  8. JimBob Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310R
    I didn't read the last couple of posts. I'd bet your starter motor is bad.
  9. bensl Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610, te310
    Other Motorcycles:
    ducati diavel
    thanks for the replies. been a bit busy to have much more of a look but just tried again now and when i remove the starter and test it out of the motor it works/spins as it should but will not turn the motor over when i install it again. i just get the clicking relay noise.

so i guess a new starter is on the cards? i cant seem to find a brush/repair kit for these. im just baulking at replacing it until im 100% sure as they cost $450 here!

cheers
  10. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Bensi... Have you done the decompressor? The starter will click if meets too much resistance/compression. The kicker will also be stiff. If you have not tightened the appropriate shim, I can almost guarantee it's the issue. Keep it simple... Nothing really complicated with this since the spec from Husky was just not adequate for the decompressor IMO. You could start replacing parts and end up with the same issue so worth doing this first. Along with the more hardened warranty parts, tighter exhaust valve and an EarthX battery all problems starting went away 2500 miles ago for me and I'm sure many others.
    Borntoride71 likes this.
  11. bensl Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610, te310
    Other Motorcycles:
    ducati diavel
    sorry, can you elaborate on this? im not sure what you mean.

cheers
  12. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    The decompressor may not be being activated and requires the valve shim for the associated valve be one shim tighter so it does activate. This will allow the starter to turn the engine over. While the valve tightness may be within spec you will want to get it to the tighter end of spec and see if results are different. Even though the starter design may be not the most robust, if you can make sure the decompressor is working and use a strong battery, such as the EarthX that provides a bit more power than stock, the starter should be a non issue. Took awhile for me to learn this after dealer tried everything.. warranty parts, etc... I finally requested they check them again 200 miles later at the end of my warranty period, and my problems (identical to yours) went away.

Spec was .20 for Exhaust and my left exhaust was .229. One shim tighter solved it.

decomp.JPG
  13. ORON Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC310
    Hi
    Any suggestion where can I buy the e starter gear kit?
  14. need2boat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC310
    Other Motorcycles:
    1993 BMW K75s
    How do the gears currently in the bike look? I wouldn't change without seeing them. It sure sounds more like the starter then the gears. Running the starter on the bench isn't the same as in the bike.

I'm sure your parts guy has sold a few starters aw well.

Joe
  15. airrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310R's & 2014 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    3 Triumphs
    I got mine at the dealer. I've got a picture of the gear kit somewhere in this thread...and then you can do a search on the part #
  16. AllDay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna TE310@2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ktm Exc250F, Ducati Monster S2R
    Hi,
    I have problems with e-starter, again. Did anyone try to rewind it? To make it stronger?
    Obviously, the only problem is, that it couldn´t turn the compression. And yes, I´ll check valve clearance.

@Johnrg: What´re the spec., that you suggest them? For intake 0,15, as fabricated? For exhaust you said one shim tighter? That is 0,05? So, the valve clerance for all 4 valves should be 0,15?
  17. need2boat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC310
    Other Motorcycles:
    1993 BMW K75s
    I looked over a good deal, maybe 10 junk starters at Central Jersey Cycles. It's the plastic cone where it holds the brushes seems to deteriorate from the heat and causes most failures. I seem a few people post about having the starters rebuilt but no one has followed up on that.
  18. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    All Day, See what the exhaust valve actually is. Go from there. Not suggesting using the intake spec. Problem for me was being 2/3 of a shim increment loose. Being 1/3 on the tighter side worked. They do sell single shims at smaller intervals. Having one may allow you to nail the spec.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/922/26634/Pro-X-Valve-Shim
    Borntoride71 likes this.
  19. h59elmer Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310
    hi all is there a difference in a standard drive gear and a upgrade I.E. colour or something to know if upgrade has been done
  20. h59elmer Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310
    Hi my dealer tells me that the bike I bought off them this week has had the up grade kit fitted but on inspection because of a crack in pinion housing the fly wheel is worn badly and pinion appears to be ok. Do you know if there is a difference in the standard fly wheel and drive gear compared to the upgrade kit. I.E. colour or something to know if upgrade has been done. Many thanks