1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2013 TE310r Electric start issues

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by airrider, Jun 11, 2014.

1. airrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310R's & 2014 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    3 Triumphs
    Here's what my old starter gear looks like....I've got less than 150 start cycles on this gear and it's very worn. The worm gear shows no wear at all, which tells me that there was a hardening process issue with this batch of gears.

worn starter gear.JPG

worn starter gear_cr.jpg
    Boogie likes this.
  2. need2boat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC310
    Other Motorcycles:
    1993 BMW K75s
    I'm getting ready to do mine. Need to deal with some other issues first but it's on deck.

Joe
  3. airrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    3 Triumphs
    Much Better! :)

Gears are in, e-starter sounds real smooth and eager to turn over. If these new "updated" gears last then I think I'll be OK. Next I need to test it hot on the trail, but but definitely has a much smoother tone upon button push. Something you gotta watch for during reassembly is the gasket has a small oil passage hole that must be lined up when you slide the starter back in, otherwise your starter's gonna dry up. Thanks to cafe member Rich Little for helping me thru the ring gear exchange!

Hstarter.JPG
    Borntoride71 likes this.
  4. need2boat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC310
    Other Motorcycles:
    1993 BMW K75s
    would you go into the ring gear change and the process a little. I'm getting ready to do the same thing. Just ordered the updated set along with some other stuff any special tools other then fly wheel puller.

cheers

Joe
  5. airrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    3 Triumphs

Yes, you'll also need a flywheel holder from Zipty when you use the flywheel puller, around $45.
    On the 2013 models, looks like the factory used retaining compound on the mating surface of the flywheel and crank. I needed to use some heat to get the flywheel puller to release, and have a small pipe ready to use as a breaker bar with the flywheel puller tee-handle.
    It's possible on the 2012 models the factory used no retaining compound.
    Once the flywheel is off, remove the woodruff key and use some grinding compound on the mating surfaces to roughen up the shine, so the Loctite will stick better. Just a few spins are all you need, because it's fairly aggressive. Clean everything up and simply swap the gears.
    Use Loctite 648 retaining compound upon reassembly and work quick so the Loctite doesn't set before torquing the nut to 80 NM.
    The worm gear shaft in the starter is changed also and instructions are in the .pdf workshop manual for your bike.
    That's all I can think of for now...oh, pulling the LH ignition cover off requires a firm pull to break the magnetic field.
  6. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    Sorry for being selfish but was this drama continued into 14 models ? (Last of Italian ones that is) .
  7. need2boat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC310
    Other Motorcycles:
    1993 BMW K75s
    air rider thanks for the info. would you still need the flywheel holder if you had used an impact gun to remove? I guess it aids in torx it back down as well.

Per the 2014? One would like to think they had used up all the old parts by the time they made the 2114 bikes but from what I've read about the hot starts and xiite starters. You can have similar issues but the cause is not always the same.

Joe
    rabskyline likes this.
  8. airrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    3 Triumphs
    Rumor says that using an impact gun to tighten may shear the undersized woodruff key. You'd be twisting the crankshaft within the flywheel while impacting. Makes sense, why risk it? Do a search for the topic. I borrowed a members' flywheel holder and service.
  9. need2boat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC310
    Other Motorcycles:
    1993 BMW K75s
    yea I wasn't thinking of using it for putting it on rather they can be great for breaking the bond when taken things apart. Most of the fear behind them is due to lack of experience. They have there place for sure.
  10. airrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    3 Triumphs
    Oh! Keyword here is to "remove"...I missed that. No problem with removing with impact gun, that's what we did without holder.
  11. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The loctite we used was 609....hi temp retaining compound for press fits
  12. airrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    3 Triumphs
    I took the bike for a 45 mile beatin' on the trails and she was better than ever. I also swapped bikes with another rider and he said the husky had more power than he expected.
  13. need2boat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC310
    Other Motorcycles:
    1993 BMW K75s
    I will put 609 on the list. I'm in Jersey as well can ask where you picked up 609? that's not common. I know fastenal can get it.

Joe
  14. need2boat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC310
    Other Motorcycles:
    1993 BMW K75s
    Good to hear the ride went well.

Joe
  15. w2ge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 BMW R1200RT
    Joe,

Pretty sure they're still in business. Can't quite remember their name..."something brothers" in Maple Shade, CLOSE to your house. A machine shop supply store, guarantee they'll have the locktite you're looking for. I used to go there all the time, great selection of high quality stuff for machinists. They are right on Main St.

Phil
  16. need2boat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC310
    Other Motorcycles:
    1993 BMW K75s
    yea right near the church. Ogle brothers or something like that. I though they sell grinding stones and other sanding supplies. I've bought sanding wheels for when I ported a head on my Alfa. That was back in the 90's

Fastenal will have it for sure.

Joe
  17. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I think I got it from Grainger.
  18. need2boat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC310
    Other Motorcycles:
    1993 BMW K75s
    yea they had it. Fastenal is just a few bucks cheaper.

Joe
  19. AllDay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna TE310@2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ktm Exc250F, Ducati Monster S2R
    @airrider: how it works husky after few months? Any issues with starter?
  20. airrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    3 Triumphs
    Still working great!...better than new. Whether it's cold or hot, it's always there. I can even start hot in first gear with clutch pulled in. I've got about 1400 dirt miles on it now. Using the shorai battery.
    Seewhy and AllDay like this.