1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2013 TE310r Electric start issues

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by airrider, Jun 11, 2014.

1. DJ Easterby Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just the one for now
    Got the starter gasket tonight from the shop. Put everything together on the bike. Fired up nice and strong and fast, just like it should.

So perhaps the issues with bad starters was a batch of bad commutator / armature. It kinds of fits with the symptoms are partially turning of then stopping in a dead spot. Yes, issues with starter gears and valve decompression settings could also play a part, but faulty parts within the starter will also affect the electric starter operation.

So nice to simply press the button and fire over the bike.
    Kenneth Webb and Johnrg like this.
  2. mlugo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi DJ,

Where do you got the starter from?
    I am looking for a Mitsuba SM-14 starter motor for a 2005 Husqvarna TE450 (OE number: 8000 97943)
    I don’t really know much about starters, but looking through some website I find severals aftermarket SM-14, but the only thing that changes is the rear part. dpes anybody know if I can use any SM-14 and use my original casing?

Attached Files:

3. DJ Easterby Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just the one for now
    I went through a local Husky dealer to get the part ordered. I did the install pretty easy. I have seen some other shops that might carry a replacement part, but can't comment on what will work and what won't.
    The picture I attached showed the bag it came in with the Husky number, but the starter had a different number stamped on it.
  4. monak83 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310 2011
    Sorry, I don't know what is starter motor of my Husqvarna TE310 2011.
    Anyone know what is (brand and code) and where I can bought?
    I attach a pictures of mine.
    Thanks
    monak83

Attached Files:

5. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    from this thread, 1 page back:

Mitsuba

[IMG]
  6. monak83 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310 2011

Attached Files:

7. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    bad ring gear: yes.

your worm is probably bad, also. I believe they now come paired, and are hardened. Husqvarna fixed this issue in the middle of 2013 model years.
  8. DJ Easterby Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just the one for now
    monak83, Hope you get the starter /gear issues sorted. I had thought the gear issues were limited to 2013 models, but not certain on that. The pictures definitely show wear.
    My 2013 Te310 had the gear set replaced and the starter re-wound. Even after the gear set replacement the starter would still not turn over the bike. With my bike, the issue was still with the starter, even with it rebuilt it did not work because a piece within the starter, the commutator. The faulty part would cause a dead spot within the starter. Once replaced the bike would fire over easily.

I have since sold my bike but know the new owner. He knew the bike history and has been happily riding the bike for a couple of months with no further starter issues.
  9. Borntoride71 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE 250 EU Gone...
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 WR 250
    Hi Im all Confused.
    On TE 310 2013 which are the frames numbers affected ?
    I ask Because Im getting a used 13 310 te and after reading this I need to know first the what frame # to look for...
    Thanks a lot !
  10. ori salman Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda xr 250
    hey man i know its been years but ive bought a used tte 250 2011, that appears to have that issue even tho its in new like shape and low on miles can you tell me who is your dealer? and if the problem was gone after the updated kit ?
  11. machine builder Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 Kaw. KZ 750 E3
    Ahh ha, Ive been looking for this post, maybe you can help me. I have the same problem on my 2013 TXC 310R. last #0034. I showed my dealer ABS013-020 and they said it was a service bulletin, not a recall and (KTM) will not give me new parts and I refuse to give them $600 for it. Is there a recall # for this and not the ABS****. As I am giving them the wrong info ??
    If Im stuck buying them, can you tell me who to contact, that might have a better price??
    Im going to order the Earth X battery also.
    I can not find a pic anywhere, that shows the shim for the CR valve adjustment and how it is attached, Do you have a pic of that? I want to check this next.
    Thanks for you help.
  12. Mucci Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 TE570, '13 TE310R, '19 701 Svart
    Other Motorcycles:
    HM 1100 Evo SP, Zero FX, R65, R80
    Are the upgraded gears available anywhere anymore? Tried plugging the part number into Google and all the results list it as no longer available.

Having the issue where the starter always turns the bike over but when it’s hot it won’t fire up. It’ll start with one kick though. Seems like maybe the starter isn’t spinning the motor fast enough.

I’ve adjusted the valves.
    I’ve replaced the wiring from batt to solenoid.
    Switched to Shorai lithium.
    Replaced the coolant temp sensor.
    Took the starter apart and cleaned out all the carbon.

This is driving me nuts. Has anyone found a higher output starter that works?
  13. Ghostman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Brutale 990, Vespa GT200
    Hi, the gear from flywheel I have it as a new part, the shaft I don´t have it
  14. Mucci Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 TE570, '13 TE310R, '19 701 Svart
    Other Motorcycles:
    HM 1100 Evo SP, Zero FX, R65, R80
    I’ve read through all this and have a specific question.
    Under about 150F my starter will fire the bike up.
    Above around 165F the starter will still spin the motor but it won’t fire. It will however always fire with one or two kicks.

I adjusted my valves to OEM spec about 20hr ago, before reading about the reduced exhaust valve clearance tweak.

My question is could that extra .002” really be what is causing this? Because the valve job is kind of a pain in the ass on these. It seems like the starter just isn’t spinning the motor as fast as a swift kick… or maybe there’s some electrical / ignition issue when using the button? I’m not super familiar with the ignition system on this bike.

I’ve already cleaned the carbon build up out of the starter and tried a 8-cell Li batt with way more CCA than stock.

My only other guess would be dragging clutch. The 0w-20 oil didn’t seem to make a difference.