1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE310 2011: starter engine disassembly and remount, now not start

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by monak83, Apr 27, 2018.

1. monak83 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310 2011
    Hi guys,
    I have a TE310 2011 and i have umount and disassembly my starter engine to see if brushes are ok and I would replace these
    To do this I have ask on this post (http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/te310-2011-starter-engine-disassembly-and-brushes-replace.88722/).

In meantime I have tried to reassembly starter engine and remount it on my bike, all seems ok.
    Now I try to start with e-start and nothing happends: I see starter motor go with a sound like cooking mixer, seems to spin free!

Se I have open left carter to see if long screw of starter engine turns ok and I see that turns ok and it spins also a weel that I thinks is free weel, but motor not start.

All these steps I have done stationary without move my bike.

1 - is possible that i must move my bike to hook some gear?
    2 - is possible that I have reassembly wrong my starter engine and it spin reverse and so can't star my bike?

Thanks a lot
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    I suppose it could be spinning backwards; I've never heard of this though (only 1 or 2 people have replaced the brushes AFAIK). Or maybe the sprag clutch (freewheel) is not engaging.

if you're brave, you could reverse the starter leads or just hook them temporarily (<2 seconds) to a battery.

...but i wouldn't. I might spin the worm by hand to see what direction it wants to go (guessing counter-clockwise looking from the back to the front of the bike). :confused:
    MotoXImage likes this.
  3. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    btw, what i was trying to say: you connected the brush leads wrong or the battery leads wrong. Something is backwards.
  4. bfalcao Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310
    Hope this helps! ;)

Attached Files:

Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  5. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    from bfalcao's pictures it looks like the ground brush has a ring terminal that goes on the phillips screw?? And the other brush has a spade that goes to the positive battery lug??

maybe try switching the brushes and taking the plate out and rotating it 180°. Mark everything up first. Always take pictures before and after.

I've never had the starter apart.
  6. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    give us an image of the brush end of the starter as it is now.
  7. monak83 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310 2011
    Hi guys I have rotate of 180° magnet and all works good.
    Problem: starter engine run very slow (seems that can't rotate completely and do only an half turn) and can't start engine.
    E-start try to run but seems like battery is down but battery is ok (new and charged).
    What happened? Brushes seems ok.
    Any ideas?
    Note: I have replaced gasket with a non original and is more thickness: is possible that only one more millimetre can't hook long screw on freeweel?
    NOTE: I try starter motor on my work table with another battery and run fast but all became more hard when it is hooked on freeweel

Attached Files:

8. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'd guess your commutator or windings are bad in one area... and when the starter motor hits that area- it stalls.

Inspect your ring gear. Any burrs on it means it should be replaced. Husky had a recall on these in this timeframe.

I would recommend a new starter; supposedly these starters are not rebuildable. However there is at least one place here in the US that offers rebuilt starters- so maybe you could find something local.

Post a video of what your refering to.
  9. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hey Marco- could you explain as best you can how you solved this or what exactly you did?

pictures?

thanks.
  10. monak83 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310 2011
    Sorry but I need more clarifications.
    I have umount my e-starter and it works good in my working-table linked to a battery and attached to a clamp. So this means that my e-starter is ok?
    When I mount it on my husky I have some problem explained here http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/te...-and-remount-now-not-start.88723/#post-640590
    This means that prblem is on my freeweel?
    But why before umount and disassembly e-starter all was ok? (eaven if I have inspected e-starter because sometimes I had some problems like explained and I thought that could caused by brushees)
    Thanks
    Marco
  11. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    you thought your starter was spinning backwards a couple of posts ago.

you did *something* with the MAGNETS?? I was wondering how and what you did to fix the starter spinning but not engaging the engine.

video and pictures would help immensely. You are basically fixing something that already worked and now doesn't?
  12. monak83 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310 2011
    When I disassembly e-start I have not note what side of megnat (cilinder) was in left side and what in right side.
    I have simply reverse side of magnet.
  13. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    got it I think: you turned the magnet housing cylinder. makes sense.

mark things before removing them. take pictures also, it will help people 5 years from now from making the same mistake.
  14. monak83 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310 2011
  15. bfalcao Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310
    Monak83, I don't know if it will help, but might trigger some ideas...

I had problems with e-start on my 310i (2011) since I bought the bike used (~80h). One day I replaced the spragclutch (freewheel) and it began working most of the time. After a couple of rides it began doing what you just described. I cleaned the starter motor (hence the photos) but it didn't helped. I didn't managed to find the problem; mechanically, everything I could remember was checked and was ok. A few weeks later, the case of the starter motor broke trying to e-start, a mess (see photos attached)... I removed it and have been kicking without problems ever since. Just another husky without e-start :)

Wish you better luck!

Attached Files:

Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  16. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    wow- that is a great picture (the worm with the gouged "teeth"). That's exactly what happens when the bike kickbacks. You can see how the ring gear tried to drive the worm backwards- and actually it did and took out your worm drive and engine case.

I wrote a post on it explaining my theory last year. you can find it here:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/sh...-electric-starting-a-few-long-thoughts.87927/
  17. monak83 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310 2011
    Now I think that I have found my problem: I think that is my RING GEAR (see photos)
    Now I should change it so:
    - where I can found it?
    - If i change it...after some starts it crank again?
    - there is a RING GEAR more strong?
    - I need to replace also Free Wheel?
    - I can do it by myself or are needed son particular tools? (extractor?)
    Thanks guys
    Marco

Attached Files:

18. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    you're going to need a flywheel puller (special tool for your bike).

The updated parts are available from Husqvarna/KTM. These hardened parts were still available as of summer 2017.

get the parts together first. you may need a sprag also ($85-$130USD). You can still ride it- unplug the starter or button and kickstart it until you get the needed parts together. These bikes kick start easy.

have a friend or a shop do the install.
  19. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Good advice. The ring gears were recalled a while back. They bind when worn.

It should fix your problem.
  20. monak83 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310 2011
    Hi guys,
    I have check another time my ring gear...but in my opinion is not bad!
    There are all teeth and all turn correctly without any obstacle...very fluid!
    There are only some scratch but i think only on the surface and not deep....I think that after some start also a new ring gear will have these scratch.
    Is possible that a little scratch on surface generete issue start? Should be more spoiled to generate this problem! Not?
    I post new photos...yours point of view is welcome.
    I start to think that problem is starter motor...possible?
    Thanks
    Marco

Attached Files: