2011 wr250 / 300

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by MOTORHEAD, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Bradass80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

So no six speed then? Brad.
  2. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Apparently the 6 speed did not pass the QC testing.

The WRs are great bikes for the money, but it is time for an update.
  3. ARod2000 Husqvarna
    AA Class

A wave solid disk sells bikes on the showroom floor but I think most who've been around for quite a while will tell you a solid disc on the rear is better for performance. KTM rear brakes are so touchy they lock up quickly. Many KTMers learn that they have to cut a sliver out of the pads for the brakes to work better. I'd bet if you check the rear brake pads on most KTM pros you'd see they have a little bit cut out.

So, IMO, the trade off is have something that looks better on the showroom floor or have something that works better in stock form. I kinda do think Husky could use some help in the showroom. :D
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Respectfully disagree. To compete on a level field this bike needs the 6 speed back and a much bigger tank minimum. I personally believe it would handle a lot better and have much better ergos if it had an all new and much lighter motor put in the lighter frame of the 08 and up. This bike could be 20 pounds lighter, have a 3.2 gallon tank and 6 speed. Then we have a real contender.

That said the current bike stacks up well and performs well regardless of whats on paper. Unfortunately the only people that believe that are those that already own them. the proof is in the pudding, the current 250/300 sales suck because the perception is the bike has not really been upgraded in MANY years. The chain on the other side really throws those not in the know and points straight back to the vintage past. I know for a fact if the above bike existed many of my friends would have one including myself. Jumping from my 09 WR125 to my buddies 07 WR250 makes his bike feel like a vintage bike. Sorry, it is true for me. Six speed, 3.2 gallon tank, in the new from with a new motor (bringing the weight way down) and you have a winner. Yes price will jump but IMHO 6 speed, 3.2 gallon tank and 20 pounds less weight will bring a lot of customers even with the higher price. Right now looking at a KTM and the WR250 side by side it is obvious which one is 10 years old and which on gets updated all the time. To those shopping the thought process might be hummmmmm, i could buy a KTM with a 6 speed, big tank, new look, MUCH lighter, etc, or for 1000 less I could get a bike based on 10-20 YO tech, it's not a leap to see why KTM 2 strokes are smoking hot and husky sit on the floor at 1500 less.
  5. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think that the 2011 GGs with e-start will take a lot of sales away from Husky in 2011. A lot of guys dont want KTMs and the GG best non-orange 2T bike for 11.
  6. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Heck I am getting the 2010 Gas Gas. Not so much because of a e-start but it would be nice. I just wanted a smaller and from what I have read better handling bike. The position of kick starter on the WR had me a little worried. I never even seen a Gas Gas but I thought I would give one a try. I won't go orange, been there and tried that.
  7. StrokerJr Husqvarna
    C Class

The 2010 Gasser is a very nice bike you will not be disappointed. :thumbsup:
  8. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    That's the perception of the U.S. market. They are wholly based on their ignorance of the bikes or that they are raced in Europe and are rather dominate in World Enduro. It's simply a matter of winning races, IMO.

A styling exercise could be under taken, I agree, because the WR250 / 300 still maintain some cosmetic girth left over from sharing plastic the four stroke motors needed to share a like chassis.

Husky could build a new tank for the present WR that hold more fuel and carries it lower and is slimier, or go back to one of the designs they had pre-four stroke fitment, bring Meo over to race it in the GNCC's and start a total resurgence in WR sales.

The reality of the matter is that KTM's aren't really that changed. They "Look" changed, but geometrically they are basically the same. Their biggest changes come from them leaving the normal linkaged rear suspension. They've spent most of their energy on try to make the linkless rear end function and fit the confines of the chassis. They changed some castings of the motor basically because they needed new molds and change manufacturing technique.

Geometrically, chassis and motor design have changed very little since 1992. Honda basically set the standard chassis geometry and 66mm bore X 72mm stroke engine configuration years ago.
    Many MFG's adopted these basic design outlines some years ago, other tried to find another way, before finally giving.

The YZ 250 fell into the chassis mold in '97. In '99 they fell into the motor mold. '05 the changed the frame material from steel to aluminum, but only after they figured out how to make it act like it's steel processor.

The RM250 went from '96 to it's demise in '07 largely unchanged. The took several years for figure out what fork use and which powervalve design was best, settling to copy a YZ top end in '03.

So what is outdate?
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The YZ motor is much smaller / lighter, makes as much power or more and is stone reliable too. The WR outweighs the KTM and YZ by a good margin. The KTM has an E-start, adjustable powervalve, big slim tank and slimmer feel. I had a 04 CR125 and upgraded tot he 09 WR125 and the difference is HUGE IMHO. Handling and feel are far better. Same think can happen with the WR250/300 and I look forward to it. I find the current bike heavy, not all that great handling, to small of a tank and feels old. Otherwise i would own one. I understand they are great bikes and I have had several.

BTW, Adam, my buddy with the 07 WR250 (rekluse, C2 pipe, LTR suspension etc) likes my 94 WXC250 better than his bike. Why? slim 3 gallon tank, 6 speed, better showa suspension. I have to agree. The current model seems much more designed for short coarse racing than off road riding.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I don't see that happening. The GG dealers i know can hardly sell a bike most have gone out of biz. just to much $$$ when the customer can get a proven and well supported KTM. At least here in the NW where you would think GG's would prosper you see almost no GG's. My buddy Ken sold his 07 WR250 and got a 08 GG300 that was at Taskys, tasklys could not sell that bike for years even though it was a heavily discounted demo model. BTW he recently sold it and got a KTM :D Does not seem any better than the GG to me.

Jeff here runs the GG forum and maybe he can shed some light. Great bikes bikes but like TM, Beta and others a little to outside the mainstream for the lemmings to buy in numbers.
  11. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think with a new US GG Dist (becoming official next week) you will see an upswing in their popularity. It wont happen overnight, but it will happen guaranteed.

I am very close friends with the new Dist and he has the brains and the money to make it work.
  12. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I am starting to think what is said to be...will not and what is not said to be is a possibility.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    sounds good :thumbsup: Hope they do well, they are cool bikes.
  14. Bradass80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

The size of the gas tank on my 08 WR250 is plenty big, the two guys I ride with that are on 08 KTM 300s run out of gas before i do. I would like to see a 6 speed, but for me I doubt I'd hardly use it to be honest. I got to spend some time on an 06 GG ec250 and was not impressed at all. The bike was small and the power was smooth, but something about the layout of the cockpit had me constantly fighting to keep from sliding into the bars, they're really flat from the seat to the tank transition area. I've heard others complain about the GG cockpit being a real pain in the crotch as well. I'll take my 08 WR over a new GG or KTM any day, but some updating to the Husky 2 stroke line up would be nice to see, if not for anything other than keeping up with the Jones'. Brad.
  15. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    The YZ motor is much smaller / lighter, makes as much power or more and is stone reliable too.

Are you sure about that? I've had both motors in my hands and I don't think the YZ is any smaller or lighter than the Husky, and my WR sure feels strong to me than my YZ did.

And are you saying the YZ is more reliable than the WR? How? These things seem to be bulletproof.

BTW, Adam, my buddy with the 07 WR250 (rekluse, C2 pipe, LTR suspension etc) likes my 94 WXC250 better than his bike. Why? slim 3 gallon tank, 6 speed, better showa suspension. I have to agree. The current model seems much more designed for short coarse racing than off road riding.

Again, I think that has to do with the fact that in it's last styling change, it had to learn to share body work with a 510 four stroke. That's sort a like getting your big brothers hand me downs a little to early.

And I'll have to sa I haven't had issue racing with the stock tank. So far it's been enough to get me through over two hours of racing. My stock YZ and CR tanks couldn't do that.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    interesting. No I have not weighed them but side by side the WR motor looks a lot bigger and has all the jack shaft crap because of the driver being on the other side. As for reliability they are both rocks. My YZ would get almost 8 miles to the gallon more than any WR i have had. Many people complain about range that do 60-70 miles off road a lot like we do.

Again, not bashing the WR just think it is time for an upgrade including lighter weight, better handling and more fuel capacity.
  17. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    Attachments: image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

NEW 2011 HUSQVARNA WR250 & WR300 MODELS
    2-Stroke Renewal

July 22, 2010 – Woodcliff, NJ - At the recent dealer meeting held at Mid-Ohio in conjunction with AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days, Husqvarna took the wraps off a couple more new 2011 models. In a fitting tribute to the AMA’s “Marque Of The Year” brand new WR250 and WR300 demonstrate Husqvarna’s ongoing commitment to two-strokes. The two big brothers to the previously announced 2011 WR150 make for a comprehensive range of serious 2-stroke enduro models.

A series of subtle upgrades to the WR250 and WR300 learned from World Enduro racing have been incorporated. Compared on the 2010 models, readily visible changes include new graphics, new rear racing mudguard with an integrated LED tail light and a new reinforced mount for the headlight/front number plate. These changes give the same race-ready look of the enduro models campaigned by World Enduro frontrunner Antoine Meo and match the looks of the rest of the 2011 Husqvarnas.

Less visible, but even more important from a technical point of view is the new Ducati Energia ignition. Borrowing from MotoGP championship-winning technology, this ignition allows for smoother power delivery and improved performance for both WR250 and WR300 displacements. Husqvarna riders in warmer climates will certainly appreciate the new thermostat which optimizes the working temperature of the engine.

In addition to the engine improvements, both bikes get revised rear suspension settings (based on the works bikes), as well as improved airboxes. Inside and out, top to bottom, Husqvarna has a complete renewal of their 2-stroke bikes for 2011.

http://resmarket.com/husqvarna/images/2011Husqvarna_WR300_01.JPG
    http://resmarket.com/husqvarna/images/2011Husqvarna_WR250_03.JPG
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Saw those pix somewhere else and at first did not like the graphics. But then they started to grow on me and I like how the red and white split make it look like the 02 570 style ones a bit. 2 strokes are back. The cycle begins again.
  19. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    Its going to take time and a bunch of development bucks to see a fully revamped WR250....

WE all know the old RH drive engine wont fit in the newer frames with the shock and linkage offset to the right side...

They need to develop a new motor with LH drive....its plain and simple

still love the current one...its dated yes...but still cool
  20. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

i think husky is more worried about pumping R&R into the small bores. they(small bores) are looking to make a big comeback.

it is to bad they arent even trying to update the 250 and 300. they have a great, albeit dated, engine. atleast try and update the chassis. that the biggest down fall of this bike, the chassis is a dinosaur.

id love to see an updated 250!