1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1988 TE 510 Husqvarna project4 stroke

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Zante, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 TE 510cc husky 4 stroke

dude, Genius!

a buddy of mine told me to do that but I forgot about it until you mentioned it. Golden. Thanks bud ill give it ago
  2. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    welp tried to register out of state but when i was getting the vin verified by sheriff( COOL AWESOME GUYS BTW ) they said florida law required a title in hand.

WTF?
    whats the point of getting a vin verified if you already have a title? Vermonts laws are way easier i guess..

As for titling as a built from parts the idiot that sold it to me isn't gonna sign any papers. So thats not an option. I think what happened is some military guy bought this bike in europe and had it imported illegally cause titling cost like 10 grand between countries. so i would suppose that the vin number has info on it in europe but not america.

no way of titling this bike now. I guess my only option is to sell it for 1600$ or best offer(cant do anything with it so whats the point of keeping it). was fun while it lasted i guess.. I hate florida...
  3. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    That all sounds like a right royal PITA !
    But hey ..... I loved Florida when I lived there. Flagler County was great, the airfield even better :)
  4. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    a right royal what? i love florida but when i say i hate it, i hate its titling laws lol. If you dont have a title ur screwed. No way to make this bike legal. Court costs 500$...
    to title it as built from parts you need reciepts of everything. (which i cant get) and if you wanna title it in general you need a certificate of origin. (which husqvarna wont give me).
    So im stuck with a really cool bike that i cant use!Maybe take it for an illegal cruise around the woods.
  5. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    so, in florida, any bike needs a title? all the vintage bikes that were sold without titles cant be rode there? quite normal up until recently for bikes to be sold without titles that were ridden off road
    Bodger likes this.
  6. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Do you have a bill of sale? Why not try to just buy a titled frame and treat it as buying a complete bike to cover the parts?
  7. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    he didnt get one from the seller
  8. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Anyone can give him a bill of sale since there is no title for it. I checked on Vermont DMV website and at this point I am not sure he can do that now. Motorcycles over 300cc require VIN verification in Vermont or by a licenced out of state facility
  9. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ya he gave me a bill of sale but it was junk. he doesn't return calls or text and his wife really doesn't like that fact I want him to sign some papers for this thing. I would buy a frame but I'm out of money for this thing. I don't wanna spend any more than 130$ for titling. yes everything in florida needs a title/registration. I cant do either. police wont verify vin without me have a title (like wtf...?) Vintage bikes cannot be ridden here. Inspectors are tired of me calling them, same with dmv. they give me the same answer. "There IS a title for it, and it's out there somewhere. You need to find it. There should be no reason why there isn't. A certificate of origin also exist out there and you need to get it. For all we know, you stole it from someone." the answers run along this way.

why me why me why me why me why me
  10. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Well just sold it for 1200$. not too happy about the sale but hey what are ya gonna do.

Impossible to title in the state of florida.
    you cant title it as built from parts here. I realized it'll cost the buyer or me around 400-600$ to get this ready for the offroad.

It wasn't in the best condition and i'm pretty sad. I'm really gonna miss it. Was the first motorcycle I ever owned... Wish I could have gotten more for it but oh well. I suppose in the future ill find another one just like it. Although thatll be tricky. At least I didn't lose money on it. I suppose this topic is closed now.
    sorry if this wasn't a really awesome restoration thread with powder coated frames, fancy exhaust, and lots of other stuff. For a project like this you gotta be ready to pour in some money lol.
    Thanks to all who helped and keeping patience with some kid who's never owned a motorcycle before lol.
    last photo I got before it was sold X3
    [IMG]
    Bodger likes this.
  11. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Wow, sucks you had to sell it. Now that you have a taste for them beware, they can be addicting.
    Bodger likes this.
  12. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

it was addicting. Letting go of this thing hurts hahahha. I swear ill find another one just like this, same CC and ill do a better, awesome job of restoring it. And will have enough money to title it. Lol
    Bodger likes this.
  13. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    dont worry about doing a crazy job doing resto work.
    the important part is riding..
    i find it hard to believe no one rides vintage bikes in florida but that sounds lame...now that you know the laws i guess then dont by a bike without title.
    i think you did ok for 1200, considering the fork tubes were junk and overall condition but the bike was mostly there.
    Bodger and oldbikedude like this.
  14. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

yah those forks were crap man. I decided to never replace seals cause they would just get torn up anyway due to the pitted forks.

there is one guy I met who rides vintage bikes, but hes got a really nasty looking Kawasaki 100. it's really slow and he uses it as a daily rider thing. (I think its what he said).
    no one else seems to ride anything vintage down here except for a couple of husky guys I met over the period of having that bike. Most people just use newer yamahas, KTM, and suzukis. I've met NO ONE that has a Husqvarna yet. No one! which bums me out apparently the new huskies are really nice
    Bodger likes this.
  15. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Shame you do not live closer I could set you up with a 250WR project that has a title
    Bodger and Zante like this.
  16. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

lol I wish. Checking florida craigslist seems to bring up nothing. Even all over the state. I figure I just post an ad on CL saying I buy older huskies from 1980-1993. Anything below 1980 might be harder for me to restore. I'd go in and rebuild the entire engine, put some money into it. Ill have a job to pay for college classes and I figure a good hobby that pays for itself wouldn't hurt anyone. Before dirt bikes it was really nasty and corroded boat motors. Some from the 50's. Stuff like evinrude, sea king, sears. Well see what the CL ad brings me but I doubt it'll be anything notable. Just old parts here and there.
    Bodger likes this.
  17. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    this one is like new, but a bit pricy, lol. one of my favorite years, looks-wise.
    http://daytona.craigslist.org/mcy/5578542502.html
    [IMG]

just save your cash and be ready for when one pops up. theres alot of huskies around, everywhere. hiding in garages! the one above is ready for street or trail. even has a title and plate holder...drool..
    Bodger likes this.
  18. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Omg this one was on there for months. It was originally 2100$ but the guy sold it to someone and they reposted lol. If anything i want a 510 te from early 90's. or a 250-510 from mid to late 80s. Ill find one lol
    Bodger likes this.
  19. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Like Justin says, save your cash and it will happen. Just be prepare to buy from a state that has some off road (northern Alabama, Georgia, NC...) Florida seems pretty much motocross and I am not sure if there was ever a national enduro there. Alligator rings a bell but not sure if that was Florida:confused:
    Bodger and Zante like this.
  20. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    610 is same engine, just a few more cc..(577 i think)
    2100 would have been a great deal if its as solid as it looked in the pics.
    Zante likes this.