1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1988 TE 510 Husqvarna project4 stroke

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Zante, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 TE 510cc husky 4 stroke
    Hey guys, i got a questions. I dont have photos currently but will post them soon. I have a 4 stroke 510CC husqvarna i bought for 180$. I got it to run and so far i have 160$ plus the 180$ into it. I am nearly done but i'm wondering if i should continue. It needs a new radiator, exhaust bolted in, and mufflers correctly placed. It also needs plastics decals. I currently ride it around every now and then. Its a big project. 300$ into it isn't bad i would say. But im wondering if it's worth it. I want to make some money when i am done with it. It's not a rust bucket and the engine runs near excellence.
    Ill post a photo soon

Okay! I am sorry for posting my first thread in the wrong section, I am very new to this kind of forum layout. Second, assuming the first thread will be deleted before it even hits the board, ill repeat.
    I have a few questions. I am a 17 year old kid who has never ridden a dirt bike before and I have no idea where to go with this project. I bought a husky from a guy for 180$. It was a 510CC and did not run. I got it running recently and it needed the following

Exhaust pipes bolted in
    mufflers
    repaint
    title
    radiator
    new seat
    and complete polish
    and rebuild of several parts

Now, I did learn to ride it rather quickly. I have the exhaust pipes bolted in, and I am currently going to repair the seat and am repainting the bike.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Here it is before and after. (After being the white paint) The other plastics are still being painted and polished
    So far my total money into this dirt bike is 300$ flat. Should I continue? It runs like a brand new dirt bike and has a LOT of power. It's amazing. I have all the parts I need now. I don't want to put money into something I cannot make money off of. I am a high schooler and in need of a car soon. I do restorations for outboards but for some reason I did a dirt bike lol. It rides smooth and performs above and beyond. Do you think I could get at least 1200$ when it is completely restored? It is rather easy. I have no idea what to price it at.
    Ill probably have fun with it for a while. Maybe ill try to make it street legal. (To get to school easier)
    Again sorry for double post (if you even see the first post)

To completely be done and restore this bike, I think it will the gross total will be around 550$
    But not too bad for a budget.... plus it's 510CC. Pretty big bike
  2. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sorry, you have to log in to see the second image!
  3. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    I don't think you have anything to worry about Zante, that is a collectible bike and you will make good money just as long as you restore it correctly. I assume that you are in the US? I am no help with pricing since I am in Australia and our pricing is vastly different to yours.
    Tony.
  4. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yes, i now have all the parts in place including the radiator an exhaust hooked up. I see random wires and connectors that i have no clue as to where they go though, and to title the bike i have to go to court... It had come from a state that did not require titles for offroad vehicles. How annoying lol. It has a lot of power though. Now the decals and the seat cover are to be installed. Also missing is the headlight or number plate( whatever it may be ). I also dont know how to choke the bike correctly. Engine stays cool. Thank you aj. Yes i am in the US :)

Attached Files:

5. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    What state are you in? As long as you have a good bill of sale, non-residents register and title in Vermont for example.
  6. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I am in florida, they are telling me I must go to court
  7. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    the decals do not look too good by themselves, I think to eliminate some of the white and add more blue I am going to add blue tiger striped decals on the panels. These decals are bit thick, once I am done I will spray a polyurethane coating on the panels.
    what do you guys think? The seat cover will be here in a few days. I hadn't had much time as I am a dancer and lately I have been performing a lot.

[IMG]
    justintendo likes this.
  8. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    im not always a guy who says things looks best stock...but i really do think these bikes look best close to stockish..the factory nailed it.
    a seatcover should be on soon, before the foam gets torn up. coatings and paints do not hold up the best on plastic when these are ridden off road...
    these are also fairly collectible and are special machines, the last year really to be still made in sweden. i enjoy riding them. yours is especially cool being a four stroke.
  9. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    justintendo, I know.

I really like this bike. I love it. I have no idea how to get it to stock and the original plastic is stained bad, believe me, I tried to remove the black crappy paint that once existed on the plastics. It was hard. The next best thing I can do is apply a thick layer of polyurethane. It's a powerful coating used for skateboard wheels. I have no decals and I don't plan on spending 50$ per decal :(

the seat cover will make this bike look at the better. I really wish I could make it look stock. It looks so cool stock, but I don't have a lot of money and I really cant make it all as original as I would enjoy :( even an airbox is like 100$. I'm getting one though, been sending my offers out on ebay. I really do hate painting plastic because these are meant to get scratched up. I don't really have a choice but I think a bunch of urethane layers will keep it safe. The seat itself is a bit chewed up but yeah i'm definitely getting a cover for it very soon, its a month shipping and will be here march 4th

also yes, this one was made in sweeden lol. i got lucky i ever even managed to aquire this bike for such an amazing price. i always imagined dirt bikes for super rich kids xD
  10. mick83husky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 cr 500 ac 84 cr500
    Other Motorcycles:
    rmx 450 250 gammas r6 race
    Thats a real nice bike man looking forward to seeing it with a seat cover..
  11. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i wetsand mine, and it comes out pretty good. the stripes are made from numberplate background Photo751.jpg
  12. mick83husky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 cr 500 ac 84 cr500
    Other Motorcycles:
    rmx 450 250 gammas r6 race
    Sweet bike man
    justintendo likes this.
  13. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    now that looks sweet justintendo.
    I might take one of the plastics and do an experiment, like soak it in paint stripper that is safe for plastic and wet sand it

I did find some wires, apparently the TE is actually an enduro bike. I cant figure the wires out. It may have had lights at one point. I also cant figure out the kill switch, anyone have a wiring diagram?
  14. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    thanks..its worth a shot anyway..the acerbis plastic is ok at sanding. i also make the numberplate backgrounds out of universal material. a little practice and you can use blue, green, or yellow to make some backgrounds as i think they spruce a bike up well.
    your shrouds dont look bad in the pics..maybe just focus on other stuff?
    you said you are getting an airbox, which is wise and will protect the 510 engine. im not super familiar with the thumper ignition but should just be one wire for the kill switch, this gets grounded to kill motor...blue for SEM?

i like how your subframe has a loop. wish mine did..i need to find one. i have a few 87-88 subs and they are all cr/xc style.
  15. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    just bought a correct airbox for the bike for 35$. not bad I suppose since they usually want 140$ for a piece of plastic. It does not come with the actual cover, just the box, the frame, the filter, and the filter lock.

Ill check the wires and see what I can get on my little mulimeter.
  16. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    download a manual from here if you havent already. will save you a lot of time.
  17. chris squires Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1987 CR240 CR500 1988 WR430
    I agree wet sanding the Acerbis plastic is the way to go start with #400 grit paper and work out to #1500, then plastic polish.Its a lot of work by hand but you will be pleased with results! I had a set of WR rad shrouds that were painted black (rattle can no primer), with yellowed plastic underneath. I got them back to shining white. Cool bike I'm viewing one Saturday. good luck with it
  18. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

I should have gone to you guys before painting the plastics and putting those decals! Dang lol. Ill have to do it slowly one by one I guess. Yeah mine has browned plastic and nasty neon green stains.
  19. chris squires Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1987 CR240 CR500 1988 WR430
    Zante, If you keep it you may want to take that clutch cover off and replace the needle bearings that spins the kick starter & idler gears these are constantly spinning with engine RPM. These little bearings are often overlooked and have a habit of imploding and destroying the clutch ring gear / basket, if not replaced! I would replace both if it were mine. Make sure the swing arm bearings are fresh too they dry out the swing arms have a tendency to crack at that area. Use a good quality grease. Stay on top of the maintenance and these bikes just motor on:thumbsup:
    justintendo likes this.
  20. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

ill have to do that then. I'm just thinking of keeping the bike for own use lol.