1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1988 TE 510 Husqvarna project4 stroke

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Zante, Feb 19, 2016.

1. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    not that ive seen, what year are you trying to convert? i run the 86-88 triples on any dual shock..the upper is solid mount and i like the straight barclamp better than the angled ones..i suppose you could mount the angled mount on the solid triple too..
  2. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    I have 84 triple on the 79 and it has shot rubbers, I just figured I would make some solid inserts instead of getting a diff. upper triple. It would be nice if some one already sells them tho. I guess I'll get to work on those and see what I can come up with.
  3. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 TE 510cc husky 4 stroke

damn some guy has some good forks near me but he wants 300$ for them..
  4. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    hey, if anyone has an airbox for this bike, let me know cause I cant find one anywhere. I am literally butchering an airbox from a 1993 wxe 350 to fit into my 510. I really need an airbox if I'm gonna ride it around in the dirt. this one is okay but it looks ratchet. :)
  5. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    im far from a 4 stroke expert, but i know around your year some of them had the same airbox as the 2 stroke models, and some had an actual 4 stroke airbox. if yours takes the 2 stroke one or could be modified to go that route, those are plentiful on ebay. the four stroke airbox is likely rarer. i have seen pics of both versions.
    did you find the kicker spring? those are available several places and are all over ebay as well.
  6. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

I did find a few springs, I'm gonna order it soon. I ordered a new spark plug and installed it, It seems to start up a lot easier now, I put in a longer spark plug. The old one was very short. Maybe the spark was not getting to the gas? If that makes any sense... But now it just starts up nicely. I'd like to install radiator fans, honestly it just seems good as a motocross bike. And yeah, I got the four stroke airbox. I tried modding mine to fit the 2 stroke, but none work. The exhaust pipe makes it impossible to squeeze anything in there. So I had to cut the 2 stroke airbox in half. I had gotten it for like 10$. I'll need an airbox cover
  7. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    [IMG]

I don't know if part 22 is apart of the airbox but thiss is what I need. If I had part number 20 i'd be okay and good to go cause I could make my own airbox filter and cover from there.

Here is my mod so far. It looks neater now since I put a new filter in it.

Now before you complain I put the filter and the cage on WRONG, I did that real quickly to see how much room I have between the airbox and the exhaust pipe. And yes there is a small dent in the pipe but a buddy of mine can fix that no problem.
    Anyway, I got a newer filter and put the modded cage in that. It looks like a really nice smaller 4 stroke filter. I just need a cover for it to kinda work.
    It's still junky and wont protect against mud or sand. I was thinking i'd buy the 1993 WXE airbox cover for 10$ and chop that in half to fit on this, but then I have a bunch of openings to close. (this airbox is from 1993. Only one that would fit with this frame)
    as you can see with the cage out I really don't have much room. Lucky for me I have at least 1 1/2 inch room for the airbox to not fry up.
    also that skull and helmet sticker has been there, I never really got around to removing it lol

btw, those exhaust pipes are not the original. I'm not sure if they are aftermarket or what, but they aren't the originals.

any suggestions?
    [IMG]
  8. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    just make sure whatever filter you are using is oiled well and greased where it seals until you get things set up right. if it sucks dirt you are done.
    Zante likes this.
  9. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

I know mine is oiled up. If I get a filter it's either pre oiled or I oil it myself using tutorials. But it's just oiling.

apparently the guys that used to own this bike ran this thing in the dirt with the carb naked. how it survived is beyond me....
    this 40 year old scumbag who told me how he went to prison and he lost the bike, he was saying he'd run the poor thing without an airbox cause he lost it or something.
    he might have been lying about ever owning it idk. probably just some junkie
  10. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    you want to grease the lip where the filter touches the plastic, it will help the filter seal. a good waterproof grease like belray works well.
    luckily 4 strokes are much more tolerant to dirt than 2 strokes..
  11. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

alright tomorrow ill grease it up. I'm getting a new filter soon so ill be able to really get it going.
    all the problems I seem to encounter go away just as quickly as I had come across them.... it's funny really lol.
  12. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    That is because a Husqvarna will heal with the correct parts and the magic touch. You can already sense the hold it has on you.
    justintendo and Zante like this.
  13. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

lol handcrafted bikes last forever
  14. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  15. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    its not a euro model thing, its because you have a "te" model...enduro...the "tx" would be the mx model.
  16. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

yeah MX didn't have lights. and I figured out only the European bikes had speedos. American had mileage meters.
    I haven't seen any 510's that were in America being used as dual sports. it seems it's only in Europe where they have all the necessary lights for it.
    mines an offroad enduro or whatever

Btw what's the difference between the TE and the TX model? Would it be wise at all to use this in motocross or muddy trails if I build a nice airbox for it? I was told the mufflers were shorter and that's about it other than that it had electrical advantages like lights.
    I was thinking I would use this bike on trails mostly, i'd take it to Washington state (don't ask me how) and id ride in the muddy areas or the mountains with it. In florida I would take it to the beaches and ride around on the sand. Daytona allows tnem. It'd be pretty fun.

It's been a while since its seen mud or dirt. I might as well use it in that. Plus most of the problems it ever has seem to be easy fixes. New valves are on ebay and most parts can be machined if needed. Not like I'm spending 50,000$ here.
    powerful bike, getting it titled very soon, gonna visit tax collector Monday and apply for one.
  17. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    the bike is built for racing off road...its weakness would be a mx track, but it would go about as good as anything from that time period on any trail. an 80s husky makes a great playbike. in the hands of a skilled rider, the bike will do whats asked, put it that way!
  18. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

hm. I see what you're saying. I suppose at this point I should fix it up the best I can, and use it as a nice offroad bike. nothing more, nothing less. and I certainly don't fit the "skilled rider" but hey, we all start somewhere right.
  19. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    tx is the cross country model. tc is the motocross model and te is the enduro model. if this helps .
    justintendo likes this.
  20. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL0G_wPOQ1I&feature=youtu.be

I know this looks bad, and it's probably a really pitiful restoration compared to the stuff you guys do. But I tried my best. At this point I can ride it no problem. Still sealing up the airbox as it has a bit larger air entry than I think it should.
    I sound like crap too, I got a cold.
    But I did my best and it went from non-running scrap metal to a full on motocross bike so I feel pretty accomplished. Maybe you can tell me if it's on the verge of exploding or if it sounds normal. I have no idea. I heard many huskies on youtube with a similar noise so idk...

airbox looks a bit lopsides I know, I forgot to remove a piece of plastic that makes it sit at an angle.

and yeah those forks are F**** up hahahah. Not much I can do but maybe find some aftermarket ones for cheap. they aren't broken just really ugly forks XD

also I mean the buyers when I say "ill show you whenever any of you come and see the bike"