1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1988 TE 510 Husqvarna project4 stroke

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Zante, Feb 19, 2016.

1. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Cool project bike. I'm glad you saved it. Oh, & blow your nose. :D
  2. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 TE 510cc husky 4 stroke

LMAO once you blow your nose it only makes it worse :*(. Hahahha, Ill make another video that is less annoying and gross. I made it just for people to see. I didn't think it would come out that bad hahaha

Anyway, getting a title for this thing is even worse than I thought.
    Okay here's the deal.
    The vin number does not exist anywhere in the world, it is a valid number by Husqvarna. the vin was checked by dealers and the DMV to see where it originated from. IT has no certificate of origin or registrations or titles. No names associated with it. It's as if this thing popped out of no where. It just exists. so I'm trying to contact Husqvarna to see if they will grant me a certificate of orgin. The Dealership for huskies said they will help me out since there are no other options. They are forwarding the email will pics, vins bill of sales, and info I gave them to the husky guys. Hopefully whoever runs the show will help me out and give me something to prove that this bike exist and is mine. I really want this bike under my name. Titling it is the best thing to do at this point.
    oldbikedude likes this.
  3. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    im sure a title will will help with your sales efforts
  4. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Good luck getting a title in your name. It may be possible & hopefully it doesn't technically belong to someone else. That would be a bummer. Now that this pep talk is over....get to work. :thumbsup:
  5. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

XD thanks, no worries I made sure this thing wasn't someone elses. Anyway hopefully the boys in the blue, white, and yellow give me a certificate of origin XD

and Justin, to be honest man selling this thing is useless. unless I get a super good price on it I'm really not gonna sell it.

gonna clean some of the plastics, gonna remove the rust from the forks.
  6. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Look for another front end & sort out the airbox.....it's kind of important.
  7. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    shouldnt be too hard to find some forks, or just the chrome legs. these swede made forks are super easy to service. i tore my 79 wr250 forks apart in high school..one of the first things i did to my first husky.
  8. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

I got tons of plastic to make the airbox straight. I made some progress today. I wish I didn't have that exhaust pipe there otherwise I wouldn't have to modify the airbox. Ill use some tools to weld the plastic to the plastic if that makes any sense at all. Its from a 1992 WXE husky 450 or something like that

Ill look around for some forks. Gonna replace seals soon.
  9. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    just look up 40x52x10 fork seals...much cheaper that way..
    pitted or rusted chrome tho...likely a waste of time changing the seals. you will need 87-88 fork tubes..
    Zante likes this.
  10. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

see café husky got me covered lol. I would have searched or wasted my time had I not found you guys! :D
  11. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
  12. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I have had best luck buying tubes and fork sets from CA and Southwest. At least not rusted but watch for pitting from anything run in the desert.
    Zante likes this.
  13. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    bad news, Husqvarna corporation themselves say the number doesn't exist in their systems...
    http://www.analogx.com/cgi-bin/cgivin.exe?Mode=Decode&VIN=ZHUTE5100JS028526&Submit=Decode
    but it decodes as valid..? I know it's a correct number. They are saying the "ZHU" Part is not right for this bike. But it shows it's a 1988 TE 510....

sooooo wtf? And it says this bike was made in Italy but that seems natural with all the other TE 510's numbers. They all have a ZHU in them.

Maybe it's cause Husqvarna changed ownership three times? Maybe they lost all their info lol..

or maybe they made a mistake and just never correctly registered the vin into their system...

OR... The bike doesn't actually exist, It is a figment of my imagination and I am a wacko working on a giant block of wood thinking it is a dirt bike. I also have amazing photoshop skills and everything that has to do with a Husqvarna from 1988 is all my imagination and I am insane. XD just kidding.
  14. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Maybe some PO changed the number. I got an 87 WR frame with a XHU number hand stamped into the steering stem on the left side. After stripping the paint I found another serial number that was standard Husqvarna WO-XXXX. so the frame I got from eBay as an 87 is actually an 86 or 85
    Zante likes this.
  15. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

idk I stripped the paint down and it looks like it's been there. Doesn't seem like any numbers have been tampered with. It is valid like the websites say it is and shows the correct model... I don't know what may have happened. But the only way to title it now is to title it as built from parts.

every time I search TE 510 1988 into google images I see my bike exactly. Every last detail.
    Really strange..
  16. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    If you are working with a dealer they might not have the connection to research something built by Cagiva in 1988. Because Husqvarna was sold to BMW first, it is possible that BMW was not liable to cover anything over 10 years old when they took ownership and might not have gotten records for it. When Peirier bought it from BMW, I am sure he only got whatever records BMW had. So yes, it exists, but no one can likely give you a certificate of origin because record of that vintage is likely buried in a Castiglione vault in Italy somewhere.
  17. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

lol. I asked the dealership if they told Husqvarna it was an older bike from 1988. Built by the original guys. They said "yeah that thing is stolen not much you can really do. I mean in our database that thing doesn't exist so idk what to tell you" words from the dealer, not Husqvarna. Nice to assume it's stolen with a valid vin lol. I guess ill get to work on the built from parts title. Kinda sucks cause it wont show as a 1988 Husqvarna 510 on the title. just a 2016 510CC built from parts offroad only bike.
  18. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Are you sure it is not a leftover 1987? 842251951HXP20000+ frame #,2092 engine#

If someone really changed the frame number, they would have to completely grind out all traces of the stamped number, fill with weld, grind to blend to steering stem, and re-stamp with the number you ran the code for. A true artesian if he matched the font of the OEM stamping and welded with parent material welding rod could pull off an untraceable conversion that would lead to that analysis if it had come from Husqvarna corporate. I would place an inquiry thru www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com to start with. If it had been a 1987 made in Sweden the Husqvarna museum in Sweden would have record of the first ownership assignment
  19. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    engine number is 20369.

It cant possibly be a 1987. Doesn't have all the details. It's gotta be what the vin number says it is. If anyone really goes through that much trouble to erase a vin, they need help cause just as easily they can buy a new frame at a dealer at that time or ebay if it was recent. But this vin looks legit. I would give them credit if they were able to really change the number that well. That would be nuts. How do I send them an inquiry?

just tried again with a florida dealership. They say most offroad bikes were given just a bill of sale back then. But still Husqvarna should have some info on it.

I really cant find any problems with this vin! Inspectors here are a pain in the ass and hard to reach.
  20. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Do what the off road riders do here in New England because they need street registration for New England enduros. Register and apply for a title as a non-resident in Vermont. I believe you may be able to do it online, if not you may need to process by snail mail. All you need is a legal bill of sale to prove you did not steal it. You can get all the info you need by searching for the Vermont DMV. After a year with Vermont documentation, then you can apply for a legal title in Florida.

And yes people all over the country do that.