1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1979/80 CR390 Works Hybrid Project - Passion Inspiration Action

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by HuskyT, Dec 29, 2008.

1. HuskyT Moderator

The only thing in your pit that day were two old dudes and a couple of trick Maico's.... we had to head down the vintage line to find a 15 year old blonde that was more to his liking !

T
    benny likes this.
  2. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Dang it Dang it and Dang it -- on two accounts -- (1) the frame issue - that bites and (2) it wasn't me w/ those two lil' CA cuties
  3. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

ahh Schimm, don't be wasting your time with those two "throw aways", we've got tons more out here. Why just the other day....
  4. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Quit it! Both of you! The girls everywhere else in this great nation of ours are bundled up for winter!
  5. HuskyT Moderator

Scotts Damper mount for Vintage CR390 + Top Triple

I have seen a lot of bar mounts. I wanted something different and unique for my Hybrid Restoration. I have been extremely happy with my Scotts mount for my modern TC450 so I started looking all over the net for bar mounts. Reading all the stuff that you guys have done in here. Wanting fat bar mounts but also remembering how harsh the old bikes were ... so that got me thinking...

I called Steve at Scotts Performance in Montrose, California. He rode Husky's back in the day and owned 250's 390's, 430's and 500's from 1979 thru 1984. Together him and Eric (also at Scotts) went on a mission to create a unique and as far as I know, "one of a kind" set up for me. I'm using CR500 Husky Forks and triples off of a 1983 CR500 Husky on my 1980 CR390 Hybrid. Steve did all the math as he was familiar with the old angled bar mounts on Husky's. He also had rode and seriously raced Husky's back in the day. He knew where the bar mounts should be to make the bike turn and the height to put them at based on my size ( 6ft). Eric asked me to ship him my top triple so that they could actually work on it there at Scotts! Two days later, this is what they both came up with. Scotts one piece 85 MM top damper mount for fat bars. 29mm rise lowers. New bolts all the way around.They even gave me free shipping!

I have never had less than exemplary service from Scotts. This time they went above and beyond. Damper is perfectly centered on the steering stem.

I custom polished my top triple and love the way it shines and contrasts with the other parts now. I have NOS new Cagiva mounting rubber for when the bike gets assembled as well as new 8mm x 35mm 316 SST socket head cap screws for the triple.

Here are some Pics:

Overall view before assembly:
    [IMG]

11 O'clock view:
    [IMG]

Quarter angle view:
    [IMG]

Rear View:
    [IMG]

Scotts View:
    [IMG]

Next Up Pro Taper Contour EVO Windham Fatbars!

T
  6. rajobigguy Administrator

You're SM project gets most of us jealous so I guess it's only fair that we get all the women.:D
  7. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Man, everywhere we turn, there's new vintage husky stuff popping up. Thanks for the leg work, HuskyT.

And thanks to Scott's!! That is a good shop. I've worked with them, too.
  8. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

HT,
    Coooool. Great forethought and homework.
    Heck yea. Would love to have that set up sitting on top of my forks. Confidence inspiring. Nice workmanship on those guys part.
  9. HuskyT Moderator

Frame Mod to allow Swingarm Travel

Per my previous post, my frame will require modification.

Using Moody390's frame pic for a pattern:
    [IMG]

Pattern Layout on my frame:
    [IMG]

1st cut:
    [IMG]

2nd cut:
    [IMG]

Trial fit- needs tweaking on the top:
    [IMG]

Top is now cut:
    [IMG]

Remote reservoir shock installed to check fit up:
    [IMG]

On to more assembly!

T
  10. HuskyT Moderator

Rear Wheel Bearings and Rear Brake Backer Assembly

Nice cold rainy day today in Corona... perfect day to hang in the garage and work on my rear wheel assembly. FOr the most part you guys have seen the wheel and tire. Now it is time for quality German Bearings, new foam for the axle spacer tube, new seal, Dull Nickel plated and restored brake cams and arms, new o-rings, EBC pads and heavy duty springs and a custom powdercoated rear brake backer plate.

Laying it all out:
    [IMG]

New German Bearings:
    [IMG]

Axle Tube and new packing foam:
    [IMG]

Packing the foam to center axle tube:
    [IMG]

Needs More Foam:
    [IMG]

More foam for inside of wheel:
    [IMG]

Setting the second bearing with a socket almost exactly the same size O.D. :
    [IMG]

New Seal is now installed ( note spring side in) :
    [IMG]

Left side axle spacer in place:
    [IMG]

Now on to the brake backer plate... a before shot of one of my Ebay trophies:
    [IMG]

All of the brake backer components after restoration ( or new) ready for install:
    [IMG]

Outside close up of brake backer OR/XC style:
    [IMG]

Inside of rear brake backer :
    [IMG]

Casting was not pretty. Trued up to smooth as possible with file:
    [IMG]

Brake actuator arm, Excenter, O-ring and washers etc... all with Dull Nickel plating for corrosion/wear resistance:
    [IMG]

Brake cam ( excenter) in place with external O-ring from Phillip ( note lubed with Mobil 1 Synthetic) make sure it rotates freely:
    [IMG]

Now with brake arm in place:
    [IMG]

And small washer and new SST Blue Locknut. (easiest to put cam/excenter in vice to tighten down):
    [IMG]

Do not forget to put on the brake stay arm bolt before the pads go on:
    [IMG]

Assemble brake pads with heavy duty springs:
    [IMG]

Installed on brake backer:
    [IMG]

Detail of grooving on EBC brake pads:
    [IMG]

The pads and part numbers used:
    [IMG]

Installed on wheel with sprocket in place:
    [IMG]

Ready to go in to the swingarm now! Will she roll soon?

T
  11. NYWR430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great work! Nice attention to detail.
  12. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

HT,
    Nice!!! Roller soon? End of the holidays? Good look'n wheel and bada-s tire there my friend!! Keep posting.
    Rick
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Those close ups really show how far manufacturing and quality have come. Not a knock just an observation.
  14. HuskyT Moderator

Half Rolling Frame

I was thinking of HWY when I set up this shot....

Half rolling frame. Sorry to have the nasty unrestored shock in there. It was either that or a 1X2 wood Vampire stake but that seems to have been done around here before ......

[IMG]

And another less artistic shot:
    [IMG]

Coming up: triples, bearings and bars and then........fork tubes and a little trip to Race Tech.

T
  15. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Are you dissing on me young man? Thats a stake through my heart!
  16. HuskyT Moderator

No Diss intended! LOL! You , my friend, are going to have to frame that wood stake that we have all grown to love.:thumbsup::D:D:D

T
  17. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nice resto Husky "T"

Your 390 is well hung.
    Cant wait to see the finished work.

You are an inspiration to us all, keep the HWY picture quality pictures coming.

Hwy, can you post photo shooting helps seminar?
  18. HuskyT Moderator

Good Things Come When You Wait....

ProTaper EVO's just arrived..... the guys at Cycle Gear delivered again with great pricing, free shipping and $20 of coupon for January....this specific bar was recommended by Steve at Scott's Performance....my damper guys !

Windham RM MId's were not available in Black until about 2-3 weeks ago... previously were only available in Magnesium finish... a kind of weird Gold Color.... I held out for the new black finish....

New Box... a work of art in itself:
    [IMG]

Up Close:
    [IMG]

Opening the box:
    [IMG]

Windham RM Mid
    [IMG]

With Custom Scotts Performance Damper Mount:
    [IMG]

Mounted with Scott's Performance Damper:
    [IMG]

Close up with Brand new Motion Pro Turbo Throttle in Polished Finish - Also with Completely Restored Vintage Sunline Shorty Front Brake in Matte Black Anodize and lever with DUll Nickel hardware :
    [IMG]

Clutch side with fully restored Vintage Sunline Shorty Clutch and Perch in Matte Black Anodize with Dull Nickel Plated Hardware:
    [IMG]

Overall View:
    [IMG]

T
  19. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

HT,
    Beautifull! I love a nicely laid out cockpit. High marks for planning/detail/execution. Looks effective.
    Rick
  20. HEMITKN Husqvarna
    B Class

Like Rick said very well executed:thumbsup:
    Mike