1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1979/80 CR390 Works Hybrid Project - Passion Inspiration Action

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by HuskyT, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Could you put your location in your profile? I'm encouraging everyone to do that... nothing too detailed but general area and country so people might know who they might have near them.
  2. HuskyT Moderator

You didn't have to tell all your secrets.....:applause:

Further proof that a restoration does not have to cost an arm and a leg.... my whole thought is that these bikes are to be restored to ride and race, not just to be pretty and sit in a custom garage....

In any case , even with the bondo and JB weld, the color looks great and overall appearance looks great...!

T
  3. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Tim,
    I know it is not polite to ask someone about what something costs, but I have to know. What was your plating cost for the axles, bolts and misc. hardware? I'm at that juncture w/ my own project and trying to budget accordingly.
    Thanks, Rick
  4. HuskyT Moderator

I sent a PM

It is ok to ask..... i'll never sell this project bike anyway......

I figure I'm sitting at about $1000.00 right now ( excluding the parts themselves) with all that I have done including frame and wheels.....just in stripping , powder, mediablast,plating and anodize.

I just do it a few things at a time as money permits

+ I have my own special look/thing going on here.... every project is different

I have a long way to go and a lot of money to spend before I get there.... I'm probably two years from completion but am having a blast doing this......

Tim
  5. HuskyT Moderator

83 Front Nordisk Restoration for 1980 cr390

Just a note upfront.... my Husky will not be a stocker, I'm making this into my vision of what a Husky 390 Cr should be.... Purist i'm not.... I think Schimmelaw will like this.....Starting point:

Wheel off of ebay
    [IMG]

Strip out spokes - good shape

[IMG]

Has some rust in drum ( turn to a minimum diameter)

[IMG]

close up- stripped out spokes from this 82 wheel

[IMG]

reassembled with drum turned professionally stripped ready for coating

[IMG]

close up in black with new Motion Pro Rimlock- checkout the new turned drum surface!

[IMG]

Whole wheel in black

[IMG]

new Dunlop 745 intermediate Terrain Front Tire
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I talked with Kelly ( motosportz ) about durability of Rim decals.... he gave me a thumbs up on them so.....

I called Chris at Roost MX and had her make these special just for me. I sent her a Husky Logo and told her conceptually what I wanted.... this is what she came up with :
    Rim Decals
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Ready for install everything is super clean including new MSR Super heavy duty tube, new Dunlop tire and new Motion Pro Rimlock :
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Complete wheel

[IMG]

[IMG]

Ready now for new German bearings and pads and DSL assembly. My 390 is starting to rock it's brand new world.... pretty soon she will be a rolling restoration.... I can't wait to race this bike.....

[IMG]

T
  6. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

T- I'm gettin' a chubby just looking at that!
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Looking great bro :thumbsup:
  8. mattskn Husqvarna
    A Class

That looks really sick I like it..:thumbsup:
  9. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

HuskyT,
    Like it? That is an under-statement! I love that look. Very very COOL. Hub, rim, spokes & nipples all powdered?
  10. HuskyT Moderator

Thought you might dig it.... thought about this look for a long time before i committed to it...definitely not stock pure HUSKY. It is not powder... but rather is a new coating that is supposed to be somewhat flexible.... i have a buddy that works for a specialty coating company.... this coating is yet to be proven for durability or adhesion .... I'm going to be the guinea pig ... if it doesn't stick well, I
    will go for black excels and a powdered hub.... the DSL brake backer is going to look equally impressive....and unique.... think outside of the box saving that for later.....!

T
  11. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

HuskyT,
    Sooooooooooooo, the whole wheel, as a single component, is plated as one peice and not as individual components to then be reconstructed? Very interesting. Whats the process called?
    Blacked out everything w/ clean/shiney/new hardware is always fashoinable. Your nickle plated axle hardware is going to look great! Again, very very cool. Hope adhesion/reliabilty problems aren't a future issue b/c it would be travesty. Your wheel looks too nice for that to happen.
    Post up some backing plate photos when done.
    Rick
  12. HuskyT Moderator

Think of POR-15 . POR-15 can be done in your home garage with a Auto Cup Gun Sprayer ...but is somewhat tedious. The good thing about POR-15 is that if you breack a spoke you can replace it with a new one or a spare from another wheel and simply brush paint it to match..... the hard thing to find is new black spokes....

I have now seen this on a couple of bikes (Frames only ) in the Yahoo Husky Group . .....supposedly it dries hard yet remains somewhat flexible, very durable, resistant to ultra violet, won't degrade easily, light weight primarily used on US Navy ships... how it is going to work on a wheel set ???? have to wait and see as far as I know, i'm the first with it on a wheelset....

I'm not to worried as Durability should be good and adhesion has optimum surface condition with the advance surface prep

It is not plated, but rather is sprayed on.... to a complete wheel assembly . It could be sprayed separately.

I am conventionally powder coating the brake backers and some other misc hardware

Worst case scenario is I have to eventually strip the wheel and put on new Black excels and Buchanan spokes .... not exactly a tragedy if that happens.... I just wanted to do something different than anyone else.....

T
  13. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Is it just me? I'm thinking that finish would be DEADLY on a set of engine cases!!!
  14. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    That's Funny:lol::lol::lol:

Ya I'm there same way. How's that go..."Wasted time well spent"

Look's Great :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
  15. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I don't even know what the heck an air bell is...but it's beautiful nonetheless and I wish I had one just like it!

Bravo :applause:

You vintage guys amaze me, you really do...such pretty stuff!

WoodsChick
  16. HuskyT Moderator

Steve,

if you don't mind can you tell me a little bit more about your polishing ? how you did it, tools used etc... buffing wheels?

Thanks, T
  17. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

WOW!!!
    Your project is very impressive. I love the detail and please keep the pics coming. I thought about using POR 15 paint for my frame. I have used it on cars before and wondered how it would work on a bike VS powdercoating?
  18. HuskyT Moderator

DLS Front Brake Assembly "Before"

Finally! back to work on my project... it has been to long.....I spent some time finding what I wanted for the front end of the bike as far as braking power and decided on a 1983 DLS dual leading shoe front end...

Front end of a 1983 430
    [IMG]

A little ebaying and I had three potential brake backers"

[IMG]

Note homemade linkage extender and brackets on this one:

[IMG]

And another one:

[IMG]

Inside views prior to dis-assembly:

[IMG]

[IMG]

The start of dis-assembly... the springs have seen better days!

[IMG]

Inside

[IMG]

Brake stay arm bolt and post mount

[IMG]

Old brake pads

[IMG]

Removing and stripping old linkage

[IMG]

Excenters removed:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Excenter ready for wire wheel clean up:

[IMG]

And now on to the next post for "after" pics.... coming soon!

T
  19. HuskyT Moderator

Front DLS parts After

Here are some of the parts after restoration:

Brake Excenter after complete stripping. Cleaned threads. New Dull Nickel plate for corrosion resistance and aesthetics:

[IMG]

Springs have been stripped and restored as well:

[IMG]

Brake backers after professional stripping and bead blasting:

[IMG]

More to follow!

T
  20. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 CR500, 85 CR500, 89 TE 610
    Excellent job... I need to look into that Dull Nickel Plating here in the UK... looks good.

Stu