1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1979/80 CR390 Works Hybrid Project - Passion Inspiration Action

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by HuskyT, Dec 29, 2008.

1. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

I second Husq.fleet!
  2. Flying Trash Can Sustaining Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1100R
    Mere words can not describe how cool that looks!

Congrat's on your endeavours.
  3. HuskyT Moderator

83 CR 500 forks are off to Race Tech for rebuild

Met with Michelle at Race Tech last week and dropped off my forks for a complete rebuild / Gold Valves etc... Should be ready later this week. Eddie ( tech) is putting them together for me and to quote Ediie " is being supervised by Paul the owner"

Here is what I have given them...

The forks prior to disassembly by myself 1983 CR 500 with custom Polished outer tubes 720 MM springs with a .30 Spring rate ( These springs will be replaced in favor of a new .50 spring rate) ...:
    [IMG]

Dis-assembled forks:
    [IMG]

Old Fork Caps and air Valve Bodies:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Fork Caps polished and anodized black with new airvalve bodies and new o-rings already installed
    [IMG]

Restored Fork Bleeder screws ( Aerospace Quality Black Nickel Plating) with new copper washers:
    [IMG]

Restored Fork Bleeder screws and bottom mounting washers in Aerospace Quality Black Nickel plate:
    [IMG]

New Top out washers along with Four new Japanese Honda manufactured Seals ( better than the old Husky Seals) and new 40 MM fork boots:
    [IMG]

and the overall package as delivered last week:
    [IMG]

Can't wait to get these back... Race Tech is taking very good care of me!!!
  4. HuskyT Moderator

Restored and better than New Chain Guide

Time to start working on the Chain Guide and the chain guide mount....

Have been looking on e-bay forever for a good one ... this is what I have found so far that I pulled off two desert queens that I bought for spare parts... nothing is pretty...

[IMG]

Old Chain guide Mount .... this one is dirty and not beat to crap like most of them are... perfect for restoration:
    [IMG]

New MotoExotica ( Dan you are amazing!)New Production Chain Guide for a 1980 CR390 with all new rollers and the restored Chain Guide Mount:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Dan does nice work at MotoExotica Also kudos to my Powdercoater Steve @ SevenS in Riverside, California.....!

T
  5. IMvintage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 KTM 350 XC-F 2002 Gas GasEC300
    Hybrid project

I can't wait to find out how the awesome the forks are gonna be!:thumbsup:
  6. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Can we just call up Race Tech and get springs, or are they being custom made? I need a set of .44's
  7. HuskyT Moderator

Just picked them up today Race Tech gave me a great deal being here in Corona!!! They set them up for me at 240 lbs + gear Intermediate MX

Due to the long length of the original springs (720MM with a .30 spring rate) they scrapped them altogether in favor of using 2 double stacked short springs (spring rate of 1.0 KG) FRSP S3234100 31.7 x 340 mm @ 1.0 kg each with a seperating washer between the two springs ( gives an actual tested spring rate of .505 KG

Used GoldValve emulator FEGV3801NV with 40lbs/inch "BLUE" spring

Used "NEW" 40 mm adaptor PN# FPEV AD3805 that just became available last week for 40mm Husky forks and machined the damper rod to accept

Used Race Tech Ultra Slick US3 Fork oil (15wt ) Oil Level is 120 mm below top of the fork with the spring out (or an airgap of 120MM)

New Schrader airvalves SPTV08100 Air Valve M8 x 1.0mm

Outstanding service from Michelle ( service writer) Eddie (Fork Tech) , Tony (Fork Tech) , Luis ( sales) Matt Wiley ( vintage Guru) and Paul (owner) ...

Pictures later of assembled forks...

T
  8. HuskyT Moderator

Picklito... they can custom mfg springs for you at .44KG... I believe cost would be around $180 but you can call them to make sure...

I'm a big guy so I needed .50kg for my size and riding style/ability...
    The dual spilt spring gives me more tunability at the bigger size...

They did look into modifying the stock 720 mm spring but would only be able to get a .40KG out of it after cutting .320 mm off of it...and even then it would end up in a coil bind situation... cost me twice the amount in spring but probably worth it for me personally...

T
  9. HuskyT Moderator

Race Tech Built Forks!

Pics of my Custom Race-Tech Forks...I did all the finish and prep work... Race-Tech custom built them for me... see details in post above for build out...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Next up Install!

T
  10. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

11. IMvintage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 KTM 350 XC-F 2002 Gas GasEC300
    Works Hybrid Project

Curious to know how those will feel, can't wait for the ride report and what was your installed price from Race Tech(ball Park anyway)?;)
  12. HuskyT Moderator

Front Wheel Restoration Continued .....

So I left off with this awhile ago at this stage... DLS completely rebuilt and front wheel / tire ready to go...

[IMG]

Still needed to install bearings and arc the brakes...here are all the parts:
    [IMG]

Close up:
    [IMG]

Install first bearing:
    [IMG]

Make sure bearing is seated all the way in... view from opposite side:
    [IMG]

Flipped over and install new home made foam sleeve over axle spacer:
    [IMG]

add another layer:
    [IMG]

Press into center and align:
    [IMG]

Plus add a few pieces as filler where necessary to center spacer between bearing surfaces:
    [IMG]

Install second side bearing:
    [IMG]

Now to arc the brake pads per the LuvWoods CH Member method:

Cut strips of 100 grit sandpaper... cover the backside with duct tape and a layer of double sided scotch tape:
    [IMG]

Stick/press the double sided tape against the inside of the brake Hub and cover the bearing with duct tape to protect it from brake pad sanding residue:
    [IMG]

Drop brake backer plate ( restored earlier) over axle while the entire wheel sits on a five gallon bucket..:
    [IMG]

Rotate backer and pads around the wheel while applying pressure on the brake arm.... it allows the pads to arc/sand to the exact same radius as is in the wheel... this really does not take much effort... I had a neighbor hold the tire while I rotated the backer... the following picture shows the residue from this sanding /arcing method:
    [IMG]

Great idea LuvWoods! This worked very well!:thumbsup::cheers::applause:

Next up ... axle install into forks....

T
  13. HuskyT Moderator

Sending PM!

T
  14. HuskyT Moderator

Front end is on now.... various bits and pieces
    Front brake stay with new or replated bolts and new nuts:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

New machined sst 304 spacer:
    [IMG]

Setting up pinch bolts:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Quick Pull axle straight up:
    [IMG]

New Black Stops installed:
    [IMG]

New Black Number Plates and 40MM NumberPlate Billet Machined Mounts from HuskyJunk:
    [IMG]

New made in Sweden for racing only decal and Huskyjunk numberplate mounts installed:
    [IMG]

New HuskyJunk Cable Billet Cable Guide and new SST braided Front Bracke Cable from Phillip:
    [IMG]

Front end pretty much together now:
    [IMG]

Final Panoramic shot of front end...Husky Decal Courtesy of Dan at MotoExotica:
    [IMG]

T
    IMvintage and Coffee like this.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nice keep it coming.
  16. Moody390 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great to see more progress T. Keep it up
  17. HuskyT Moderator

I can't beleive it has been almost three months since I worked on my project.... however... this weekend may see some new work being done.. Softball Coaching and Little league coaching is done now as of this Saturday ! ( at least until winterball sign ups on June 11.... ) Wow ... i have almost two weeks with no baseball.....

T
  18. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    I remember those years... both happy and sad that they're gone. Enjoy them as much as you can. And then post pictures of your HUSKY!!!
    [IMG]
  19. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Two more weeks of softball ourselves.I Asst. coach and the most repeated statement I make at practice/games, "heads up and pay attention girls" 9-11yrs old. Always sad when the season over, vollyball camp next...
  20. HuskyT Moderator

OK ... girls softball season ending pool party at our house... Great year with great girls! 10 and under!

Now just camped out in the backyard in Logans new Cubscout tent....can I sleep in my bed tonight?

Spent all morning with Logan rebuilding his Carb on his KX 65! working on his clutch tonight.. All new plates going in steel and fiber... new cables and new ASV levers.... hmmnnnn... no Husky in sight still...

T