1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 165 pipe thread

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by wallybean, Mar 27, 2012.

1. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

John,

The cr ignition is a huge difference maker as far as quick spool up. Also the 08 CR125 was the only year that Husky made a different shaped combustion chamber for the head. I don't know how much it affects performance but as many have said the 08 CR125 was a bullet. The few times I have ridden my 165 at sea level with the 200 Fatty, I had a hard time managing the instantaneous spool up on the bottom/mid. If I rode there all the time I would have the WR ignition so I can continue to ride like a fat, lazy, old man but thats just me.
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Actually there are a couple of options for more top end oriented pipes. The DEP pipe for the KTM 200 is also a mid/top pipe and will give you more hit and top end.
  3. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The Fatty pipe you set up for me is perfect.Everyone should watch the video listen to the motor
    It will lug up any hill WITH OUT any clutch work Then scream up top and run down a 450 in the flats
    I AM SOLD Walt is the man I have to say thank you every day
  4. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks for clearing that up Walt I figured something was a little different. Riding it back to back with my 05 RM125 was a real eye opener that's for sure. My 08 CR WB 165 with 200 Fatty is just perfect for me. I can't handle any more top end lol.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Exactly why I started the WB165 thread. It is fantastic and near perfect. IMHO.
  6. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have never ridden one of these but I am amazed that a 165 could have the problem of too much bottom end. I was wondering if it just comes on too hard? This got me wondering if anyone has experimented with different ignition mapping? I thought maybe the FBF units were programmable. Or possibly a 200SX ignition would be worth a try?
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Mark,

I was just as dumbfounded as you when riding a 165 at sea level that has the kind of torque these do. They just pull very strongly from idle up with the 200 Fatty pipe. It isn't really a hit as much as just a very strong consistant pull all the way until the power valves open. When they open you better be ready to shift. If the traction is either loose or very good it takes some feathering to keep either the rear end hooked up or the front end close to the earth from idle to up. At my elevation all this is tempered and less of an issue. I have tried both the 200SX ignition and the programmable ignition. The KTM CDI has a virtually identical map to the stock CR125 map and that map works great at elevation. I always find myself going with the stock map in the programmable ignition. If you have a WR ignition I doubt any of this is a worry at all. Flywheel weight really helps the too fast spool up. All in all even with the cr ignition and the fatty pipe the 165 is still eminently rideable at sea level. It isn't like it has WR360 torque that will rip your arms out.

You need to hook up with Kelly sometime and take it for a ride.
  8. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Mine doesn't have too much bottom end. I would call it just right; not too little and not too much. Remember the three bears story?
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Agree. But it does have WAY more than a 125. Feels like a soft 250 to me.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'll have one for you to try sometime this summer.
  11. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The reason I posted the Video from the viking National is so you can see how the bike works.
    The first loop was fast and easy,but watch the second loop of tight single track with a few hill climbs.I lug the heck out of the bike and then just throdel up.Watch my left hand and you will see i rarley use the clutch.Just craw over rocks if you want and then power up.Around min 18 up you can see how well it works at slow speed I personally feell it is perfect as is and I would not want to change a thing
  12. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

No question it has way more beans than any 125 down low and everywhere else too. After some MX laps on my WB165 I took a few on my 05 RM125 and what a workout that was; no riding the TQ wave on that puppy :D. I don't know what I would compare the WB165 power to. A weak 250, maybe K. I would like to ride a 200 KTM and see how they compare power wise as I not on good terms with the KTM ergos. Just curious.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I rode a KTM200 back to back with mone and the husky had more bottom but less mid and top. Not much less though. I like the husky better and it feels far lighter. I have ridden a lot of KTM 200's good bike but the husky handles WAY better IMHO.
  14. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks K. I kinda figured it would be close power wise but also think the Husky would win any handling comparo.
  15. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I should have figured Walt would have already investigated ignitions. He does not leave any stones unturned. I'll try one eventually I am sure, of course I seem to not like as much low end as most people. For example at the gathering I loved the TC250 but hated the TXC310 and turned back after about a mile.
  16. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    Mark, lets hook up for another ride... This time, keep your chin up!

I've wanted to try a 144 since switching to a 165.
  17. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sure thing. A couple rides after I busted my chin I was off the bike and fell about five feet into a creek, landing on my shoulder. I need to just stay on the bike as I seem to never get hurt there.

I have the 150 running real good and am happy with it but maybe I do not know what I am missing yet. After seeing your jordan video I am curious to head out there. The trails all looked new or changed.
  18. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    I swapped bikes with my buddy who has a 200 and experienced the same thing. I was also surprised at how much bigger the 200 felt. Was definitely happy to get back on my motorized mountain bike.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    They really have been working that area over big time. It's amazing the work they have done. :notworthy:
  20. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You know slo rider the "feeling like a motorized mountain bike" is exactly why I like my 08 CR WB165 so much :applause:.