YZ250fx or HUSKY/KTM 300 for woods bike.

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by Kam1, Apr 1, 2015.

1. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    While down in Tennessee last weekend Yamaha had a demo tent with 2 well setup 250FX's. I never got around to trying one... Regretting it now... It would have been awesome to flogg the piss out of one.
  2. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    You missed out there :)
    I think with some setup time & good rubber they'd be fine. (The bikes I tried were brand new and standard)
    I need to have registration so the Fx is out for me, but the engines are the same and it's a good one for a 250.
  3. Kam1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    04 TC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM 300xcw- sold// 2016 wr450
    Didn't get to ride the 300 Saturday, but the more I read and get input from here the more I lean towards 250fx- worse comes to worse someone is going to make a big bore kit for it, also I did ride my 04 TC450 and darn I love that bike. Will update in the next few weeks after I ride the 300 and pay my taxes. Thanks for the input.
  4. Kam1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    04 TC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Biz has been nuts, wich is a good thing, Biz no good, no new toy. Will ride 300 this week ( riding buddies about to call an intervention) also was talking with one of my accounts/ friend and as it turns out he just bought his son a 2015 yz250f, and all I have to do is show up and take it for a quick loop in field. That should give me a rough Idea if it will work for me. :banana:
  5. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

They must be idiots. I never touch my jetting and don't burn down or foul plugs and still smoke four strokes and don't do valve adjustments or change oil and filter every ride or fear $2000 rebuilds and like the sound much better and don't use my engine for a brake....….I don't get mixed up with jetting. Have not touched my bike since getting it from halls and have rode in Colorado Utah and mn.....and it will certainly smoke a 250f........simple....
    Kam1 and lankydoug like this.
  6. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    But, you hold your bikes WIDE OPEN at all times - That's pretty easy to jet for. Most don't ride like that, so then they keep changing jetting to get it "a little better" haha.
    fletchman45 likes this.
  7. Kam1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    04 TC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    What's this wide open you speak of ? ;)
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    See any 2 strokes in the top SX or MX races? I guess they can be Ok for something...
    Kam1 likes this.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    this guy won the last 5 GNCC's in a row on one of those slow 4 strokes...

[IMG]
    HuskyMax likes this.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I love 2 strokes but lets get serious, 2 and 4 are all good. Pick what works for you and ride it.
    KXcam22 and Kam1 like this.
  11. Kam1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    04 TC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's what I am doing will update as soon as I ride both( the yz is not an fx but should give me rough idea). I agree on 2 and 4 strokes great bikes- heck I might ride both and get another 450.
  12. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    I think the 1 stroke is even better! Ride brake fix repeat. :banana:
    Kam1 likes this.
  13. Kam1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    04 TC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    That was my 1989 250 2 stroke ktm, that said someone put ohlins on it and it was a sweet ride when running. On another note seems like Kalib Russell waxed everyone on a 150 smoker at the end of last year also.
    HuskyMax, lankydoug and dave lindsey like this.
  14. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    If you are looking at 4T 250s, try the AJP PR5. It's apparently not a very powerful bike, but it has torque. Don't need a lot of top-end for woods riding anyway. There are supposed to be some power upgrades for it too.
  15. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4

Amen.

I like my efi 4 stroke because it requires nothing to ride from 0-100 degrees F. It works best for me right now. I don't care who/what bike is faster. Been there, done that. Now I just like riding motorcycles.
    Kam1 likes this.
  16. HuskyMax Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yep!!! And also smoked a field of pro 450's on a 150
    When you got it.....you got it, I guess.
    JPinNC, Motosportz and Kam1 like this.
  17. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Ha ha not true sometimes I ride with slower guys and politely wait at intersections etc....till I see the next guy ......and sometimes when feeling lazy and old I ride in the back of the back at least for awhile....…ha ha I wish I could ride a 250 two stroke wide open all the time..... I'd be double a for sure!!! I like them all.......just prefer smokers and it goes back to my rupp rmt 80. My chaparral 80s and 100's....and my beloved Honda cr 125 Elsinore 1978 model I bought new for 625$ (I picked rocks all summer) forget grandpas xr and stupid valve adjustments......brap brap. They are all fun.....
    Kam1 likes this.
  18. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

On a serious note I don't think anyone is saying four strokes are slow....but let's not confuse politics and what they are pushing......four strokes cost more to manufacture and make company's more money on parts and service.....oh yea and they get a displacement advantage for a reason (ie 250 two stroke competes against 450 four stroke).......…..I shouldn't need to say why......oh yea and with exhaust they sound sick and not in a good way......
    Kam1 likes this.
  19. Kam1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    04 TC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    OK rode the 300 smoker tonight, 09 xc 300- WOW- felt like a bmx bike, power definite different. The ride started out me on my husky and as I tractored up rock climbs started thinking what am I thinking, this 450 is perfect and works so well which it does, buddy Dave kicking my hiney, think A rider on a 300 versus B- rider maybe a c plus( oh heck none of you have rode with me, A plus and David Night wants to be me :lol:) So rode 300 thru rocks, thru twisties, hands relaxed, definite faster- was on Dave but can't count that, I don't think my suspension moved 2 inches with him on it. I did not go thru super tough stuff on his bike, He offered to do previous loop, I said no for 2 reasons, 1 I did not want to tear up his bike, 2 I was shot, That guy can ride! I guess 3 reasons, my husky suspension set up for 300lb may have killed him thru those rocks. Thanks for all the input, still going to ride the 250 f in next week or two but that 300 was fun.:banana:
    juicypips likes this.
  20. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Ive seen a guy about your size maybe 275lb racing a 250FX at a couple of recent Hare n Hounds. He loves it. The first time I saw him I asked about it and he said he hand't even messed with the clickers yet.
    Kam1 and CrankN like this.