YZ250fx or HUSKY/KTM 300 for woods bike.

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by Kam1, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Kam1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    04 TC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM 300xcw- sold// 2016 wr450
    Thinking of or dreaming of a new bike. I am slow, fat (300lb), ride in tight technical terrain and was wondering if either one of these bikes would have the torque to haul me around? I will not be getting rid of my 04 TC 450 so I kinda want something lighter and different in the garage, any big fellas out there ride a 250f, or 300 in the tight stuff ? Suspension will get done on any bike I get. Finally I have had the new bike craving for last 5 or 6 years then go for my first ride on my husky, and decide I am nuts, that may happen again this year, however I know it is going to get harder to get parts for it soon. Thanks for any input.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yes, both have very good power.
    Kam1 likes this.
  3. Kam1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    04 TC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Which one would you prefer ? I believe our terrain is very similar. North Idaho\ western washington
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have not ridden the FX. Just read it had tons of power and was a good bike. I also don't really like or need a 300 2 stroke. I like lower powered bikes that I can get into the throttle and ride aggressively. 300's eat a lot of fuel as well. Tough choice. probably the KTM300 understanding you will need to go through the suspension anyways. Also don't rule out a Beta, I like them better than the KTM/Husky. The build quality is really nice and they are cool bikes. Why are you not tossing the KTM/husky 350 in the mix?
  5. Kam1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    04 TC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    The KTM/Husky could be in the mix, just doing the numbers I could build either bike with the suspension mods for what a 350 would cost me out the door, or real close.
  6. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Friend has a husaberg 300 and swears blind its awesome he came off 450 ktm and honda before that. He rides in south africa so tough open terrain but said it was as nimble as smaller cc two smoke.
    Ive no reason not to believe him.
    What im saying is ktm300 is a good platform but for a different ride i would choose yz250f not ridden either but love the look of that bike.
  7. Kam1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    04 TC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ250fx is very good looking IMHO, If I had a Beta dealer close would consider it as well , that and was told(I have never seen one in person) that they don't fit 6 foot 3 crowd that well.
  8. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sounds like your minds been made up. Ktm300
  9. Kam1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    04 TC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Actually leaning towards Yamaha, also like the dealer better, going for first ride this saturday maybe my husky will talk some sense in me.:D
    Motosportz likes this.
  10. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Good luck and dont be forced into it if you crash it was the poor setup of the bike not because your whiplash throttle in 2nd lol
    Kam1 likes this.
  11. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    At your weight class, I think you will be very let down with a 250 4 stroke. I'm 225 lbs and was let down with a 310. I'm now on a 500 and very happy. I'd say a 300 2T would be a MUCH better fit. Good luck on your decision.
  12. Kam1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    04 TC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just went to both dealers for quick feel, the KTM definitely feel lighter side to side, couldn't tell much difference when lifting back up like going to put up on a stand- not that these are accurate test. The Yamaha dealer was quick to help me and get an out the door price with skid plate- 8500- The KTM dealer guys didn't even say hi. I am going to ride a 2010 300 this weekend ( I hate riding other peoples bike, it blows I fix it no questions) also the Yamaha store claims they sold a YZF to a big fella close to my size that is in love with it and can't believe the torque, of course they do want to sell it so grain of salt. Thanks for all the input will touch base next Monday after KTM ride, and my Husky hopefully talks some sense in me.
    Norman Foley and juicypips like this.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Every report are they feel stronger then your standard 250. The YZF is very fast so...
    flyingbob and Kam1 like this.
  14. HuskyMax Husqvarna
    AA Class

I rode a 2015 yz250f that a buddy has and it pretty much ripped. Felt quite a bit faster than his pc modded 06 kx250f. I'm 6'4" and 240 and it pulled me around just fine. It felt ridiculously light after switching from my 450 after about 2hrs of hard riding, side by side on the stand wasn't much difference, but really noticeable on the trail. Makes me think I should have went the 350 route maybe. Only complaint obviously was the stiff suspension.
    Kam1 likes this.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Another thing to consider is the 250F will get about 10 MPG better milage. Its amazing how much fuel the new 300 2st eat.
    Kam1 likes this.
  16. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Lectron will sort that out no problemo!
    justintendo likes this.
  17. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    I don't have a yz250fx, but do have a Husky FC250. Today I spent so much time riding that my body is beat. The guys on the 2 strokes still look fresh. They spent most of the time changing jets...

They'll be laughing at me when mine needs new valves, but I'm ok with that. Having a bike that runs AWESOME in all conditions is worth the hassle.
  18. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Lectron seems to make the carb issue almost non existant but efi is hard to get rid of...
    The trick is to get a new bike before you need valves lol
    letitsnow likes this.
  19. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I had a chance to ride the New WR250F (Y250FX with lights) at a dealer day recently.

I found the fuel injected engine well mapped, no holes or flame-outs, easy starting & above all, willing.
    It has great spread of gear ratios & plenty of pulling power to skim the front end up steep hills.
    The engine was a stand-out for me.

I was less than impressed with the front end of the test bike on the day.
    The bike is certainly nimble enough, but the front lacked any kind of grip, pushed wide, popped out of ruts & just had a nervous fell to it.

# We weren't offered any time to do adjusting of forks & the 1st bike I rode had 16 psi in the tyres on what was fairly dry loose gravel trails.
    With adjustments/better tyres time testing, it will probably be a great bike, but on the day, it could have steered much better.
    Kam1 and juicypips like this.
  20. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    300 2T
    siaknijustin likes this.