Yamaha YZ250FX and WR250F 2015 all "new"

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by robertaccio, Dec 22, 2014.

1. 310huskyTE Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE 350, 2011 Meo.
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 CR250, 71 400 Cross, 78 CR250
    I went and had a look at a FX yesterday, I was pretty impressed and now even more keen to get one, I think my KTM 640 Adventure that never gets used will be sold to pay for the FX. Although I'm not sure I can sell the 640, i lusted after a 640 for years before I finally got one, decisions decisions!
  2. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    The Dirt Bike article is interesting. Good to know the WR is fairly simple to uncork, but the loss of the lights and magic button as a possible result of installing the black box is a bummer!
  3. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    What black box??
    From the YZ you mean?
  4. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's what the article said. It must be the tunable gytr add on thingy.
  5. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Correct. From the YZ250F.
  6. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    The WR450 has had a 'racing' ecu, to make the power tuner able to adjust the fuel & ignition , available since release.
    It still runs all the standard lights & starter system like that.
    I imagine the 250 will be no different. The starter and lighting systems are separate to the efi wiring.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Just looked at an FX. It does look very complicated. They wanted over 8K out the door for it. Said it has sat there with no interest for a few weeks. Asked if he had the Wr in stock, showed me the DS WR250r... I said no, the performance off road WR250F, he said... "that would be cool".... way to know your bikes dude. WOW. This is a huge crap big box store that I NEVER go into but had $40 of free bucks for them a pro buddy gave me. Bought $40 worth of filter oil, looked at the way over priced crap they had ($23,000 4 seat turbo razor anyone? WTF) and walked out shaking my head.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  8. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sounds just like my trip to go look at one. They had it tagged at $8750 before tax and license which put it at a few hundred under $10K OTD! Asked about the WR and the guy said, "uh I think we had a couple of 450s" This is the same dealer I bought my TE from and was able to work a good deal, now...
    FAIL!:banghead:
  9. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    So it seems that on average the FX runs about $600-$700 more than a standard YZ. The WR is about the same or less than a YZ. Interesting...:rolleyes:
  10. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Similar disinterested story here in Aus.
    Went in & asked if the new WR was here yet. The salesman said 'if I put a deposit down, I could have one next week. Otherwise, you have to wait for the next shipment'!
    Great sales pitch.
    It's a brand new model, there's been no ride days yet and haven't seen one in the flesh, why would put a deposit on one before seeing it??
  11. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    The multi brand big box stores are dropping like flies around here. Years of gouging and attitude finally caught up to them. That and the existence of moto forums have hit them hard. Before the forums I would have never attempted a valve adjustment but with tutorials and detailed threads I have the confidence to tackle most maintenance. Think of all the shop work the dealers are missing out now. Good for us bad for them I recon.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have to say after owning european bikes the Yamaha looked a little cheap car like, plasticy and complicated. Was nicely designed and well built no doubt, but in person it just left me like meh :excuseme: I'm am absolutely sure it is a great bike but after looking at it in person it slipped way down my want list. Just does not excite me. Then I first saw my 99 WR250, 08 TXC450 or 09 125 I about fell over and stared at them for days. This bike does not give me that feeling. Oh, it also felt super tall and actually quite big. I'm riding my AJP PR5 a lot and it makes other bikes feel big as it is very slim. Dont take my comments the wrong way as they are just my opinion after actually seeing the bike. Like I said I'm sure it is a great bike and I want to try one.
  13. Miezie666 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2x YZ 125, 1x YZ250 2005, XT600 2KF
    I m quite sure they will sell loads of these bike, as always- its yamaha- the only japanese manufacture which is building enduro bikes.
    I spoke to one of their mechanics when they were travelling through europe with their yz range last november- what he said is they are very cautious/carefully advertising and even developing their bikes- everything will take ages.
    I m sure if they would go the "KTM way" advertising their bikes everywhere and starting in every local race with a bunch of people- their sales will go through the roof- no matter how much they want for these bikes... but its yamaha- the build something great and try not to let people know about it ;-)
  14. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I imagine them to be a little like Toyota where you can't change the design of a bolt without a committee. Toyota slowly and conservatively took over the world, but their cars are mostly bland but reliable.
    Hope this type of bike is a sign of things to come from Yami.
  15. 310huskyTE Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE 350, 2011 Meo.
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 CR250, 71 400 Cross, 78 CR250
  16. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    I wonder if the FX has a lighting coil/circuit like the WR? Anyone have clarification here?
  17. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01 WR360_02 WR250_12 WB165_17 FC350
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    We're extremely happy with ours. My son is turning considerably faster lap times in the woods over the CR165WB. Two totally different animals and I guess this one works better for him. I'd have to say the quality of the machine is quite high, compared to any bike.
  18. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Don't know for sure, but would expect it to have the same charging setup as WR because of the starter motor and battery.
    It wouldn't make any sense to have to make three different charge circuits for the 3 different engines.

My take on it anyway.
    You could search p/nos online and check stator numbers.
  19. Miezie666 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2x YZ 125, 1x YZ250 2005, XT600 2KF
    just read the article above... its similar to the WR (because its got an electric start...)
  20. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    So the question would be whether to buy the WR and deal with reflashing to get it to run good or buy a FX and install a headlight and be done with it.