1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

What part/part number is this?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by gandalf, Jun 7, 2009.

1. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hopefully I will hear from the dealer by tomorrow. I may be able to get my friend that owns a little shop and is more mechanically inclined to help and I hear is expecting my call. Can someone suggest how to tell what timesert I need in terms of size and material and the best place to get them quickly?
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    When the pointy part of the lobe is not making contact with anything else, it isn't opening the valve.

A new gasket would never hurt anything. I only use a high temp black silicone RTV on the two little cam line depression covers (little half moons) on the gasket. That's the spots that are most likely to weep a little oil if anywhere.
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Metric 6X1. I can find them at automotive supply shops.
  4. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks, apparently our auto supply shops are pretty bad as I can never find anything that isn't very generic. I'll be looking online.
  5. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

How about length? 9.4 or 12mm
  6. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Expensive mistake, too. I am hearing $111 for the kit once I know what length.
  7. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Take a caliper and measure the depth of the hole and the length of the threads. Make sure you don't over extend. Better a tiny bit short than a bit too long. I usually use the short size on everything.:excuseme:
  8. bower100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250CR - '07 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    TY350Trials-BetaRev3-'77RM250-'80YZ
    $111 .... ? Thats probably a kit with a variety of sizes. You only need the 6mm x1.00 thread and the length and you need the cap in hand to see what depth is suitable. Remember if the stripped hole is blind...doesn't go all the way thru the cap ....then your tap will be running into the bottom of the hole. Maybe before it creates the proper new thread to a decent depth. If the holes not blind it's a non issue, just bo sure to deburr the sharp edge inside the cap. (I assumed your planning to remove the cap to do it .... I certainly would.)

Two bolts hold the cap...it's machined surfaces so easy does it if it needs a tap to free up....rubber/plastic hammer. Also positioned with a dowl pins.

Drill and tap at a accuate right angle to the strilled hole .... highly suggest a drill press with drill vise and quality tapping fluid. Tap-Magic is a great fluid.
  9. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

10. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

George explained why I had the leak in the first place to me. There's a pin that was popped up that was preventing the cover from tightening down completely. Once he had me lift and slide the decompressor in and out a couple times I could push it back down and now feel confident about doing this kind of maintenance again. I can't thank you all enough here. I removed the cap tonight and measured the depth of the threads and it's threaded all the way through to the open bottom and it measures just over 10mm while the bolt measures just under 10mm. From the link above, I have available a 9.4 or 12 and Dirtdame, you said a tiny bit short is better so given the measurements I took, it sounds like 9.4 is the way to go:thumbsup:

Regarding the kit, yes it's a kit, but it only comes with that size but seems to come with a few inserts along with everything I need. Perhaps my dealer will already have the tools and only need the insert. Time will tell. Thanks again everyone:cheers:

I took some pics in case anyone is interested:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  11. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I remember the first time I checked the valves on my 450, that pin popped up, but I saw it right away and got it back into position.
  12. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'll certainly never forget this time:doh: Wish I had seen it. George may have mentioned it to me and it went through one ear and out the other:busted:
  13. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Awesome! Ferracci said bring it out and they'll take care of it. I don't even need to order the kit! Woo Hoo! A big thanks again everyone and the next time(likely a couple years though) I get out to see my family in San Diego, dinner is on me for anyone that wants to get together!:cheers:
  14. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Good deal! Timesert is a better thread repair than a Helicoil in my experience.
  15. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Yummy! You're on. Bring your bike and go riding.:p
  16. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I forgot about that decompressor pin :doh:

Glad FBF can help you! :thumbsup:
  17. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just got back from FBF. They took care of it while I waited. $25

On a side note, I talked with Eraldo and he says that the 310 kit from Athena that is on the TE310 is not the same as what I could buy from Athena. Have I been hearing that wrong as I thought they were?
  18. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    dunno about the 310 kit, thought it was the same.

Did they use a timesert?
  19. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, they used a timesert and looks perfect. Everything is all buttoned up now and runs great! Now all I have to do is change my oil(maybe clean up the magnetic dust from my stator), put my new graphics on my new plastic and I'm ready for Sunday's ride:thumbsup:
  20. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

:thumbsup: I love a happy ending, have fun on Sunday :cheers: