1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

What part/part number is this?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by gandalf, Jun 7, 2009.

1. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

So, as a couple of you may already know, I finally got around to checking my valves today and since they were in spec, I wish I hadn't. After putting the valve cover on and having it leak, I took it off again to inspect and since it looked good, I put it back on and over tightened the front right bolt on the cover and assume I stripped out the U shaped piece in the pic. I'm going to call Ferracci on Tuesday and see if they can just fix it for me, but I'd like to know the name and part number before hand. I am assuming I'll need to ask them to replace it and put on a new valve cover gasket too. I've got the part numbers for the gasket, new screw(just in case) but not the part the bolt goes into because the pdf doesn't have it labeled. Does anyone know? EDIT: I annotated the pic, but apparently that didn't stick when I exported the pic to a jpg. The part I am talking about is between 3 & 4 and is what the valve cover bolts thread into.
    [IMG]
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    It's a camshaft cap, usually is set up and line bored to the bottom half which is the head so that they are matched sets with the proper clearance for the shaft. I have never seen one that could be ordered off of a Japanese microfiche, but Husky might do things differently.:excuseme: If it were me, I'd take that little piece off and have a good insert put in it.
  3. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

? Where to do that though? My thinking is just take it to my husky dealer which is not usually my first instinct, but I really want to make sure it's done right and hopefully in time for the DS ride I'm supposed to do next Sunday.
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Too bad you are way back east. I know lots of good local automotive machine shops and some motorcycle repair places out here that would do a good job, although I keep the tools and inserts to do that sort of thing handy in my toolbox in the garage.
  5. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a friend with a very small shop and he's saying he can fix it with a helicoil. Sound like the right thing to do?
  6. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Have your friend take care of it. Don't tighten the little cover bolt much more than about 4 or 5 foot pounds though. You can tighten the camshaft cap bolts to about 8 foot pounds max usually. But, I suppose you have a manual with torque values for those parts....
  7. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

I definitely need to be careful. Still concerned though because I only gave it a little more because it was good and snug but I was able to watch oil leak out about an inch from the right on the front. The gasket looks and feels good but maybe I should try and get another? Maybe I'll try the helicoil and then carefully tighten down in an X pattern in even steps.
  8. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

And thanks for the great advice:thumbsup: Sorry I didn't mention that in my earlier posts.
  9. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    You dealer is closed until Tues, but maybe some of them check the emails on the weekend? Send an email and hope for a reply before Tuesday?
  10. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good idea. I think given I really want to make sure this is done by the weekend so I can make the DS ride on Sunday. I'll probably call both my friend and email the dealer tomorrow to cover my bases.
  11. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Email sent. Hopefully they'll do what they can for me since I bought my bike there, have been a great customer for many things, and have dealt with parts issues since last summer.
  12. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm not sure if they only go on one way, but just in case, if you plan on removing the cap yourself, mark one side with a "sharpie" cap & base, so you know exactly how it goes back together :thumbsup:
  13. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Will do, if I take it out. Thanks.:thumbsup:
  14. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Smart Lady here. Shes totally right, you have to buy the complete head to get the cap.

Go for the Helicoil. :thumbsup:
  15. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

I guess that's why they don't list a part number for it. I'm planning on pulling it out tonight as I have a friend that says he can help with a helicoil. Thanks again Mimi and everyone else too!
  16. bower100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250CR - '07 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    TY350Trials-BetaRev3-'77RM250-'80YZ
    And since the cap holds the cam in place, before removing it be sure the lobes aren't lifting either valve.

Also, not sure if the 6mm bolt hole in the cap is a blind one, but if it's not make certain the helicoil is red locktited so it's certain not to move when screwing the bolt in. (Wouldn't want the bolt to work the helicoil further into the cap 'till it rubbed the cams machined surface).

dave
  17. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

18. rajobigguy Administrator

I'll add another nickle to the pot. Don't use Helicoils on critical pieces, there are much better thread inserts available. IMO Timeserts are the best.:thumbsup:
  19. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Is making sure TDC the way to make sure the lobes aren't lifting the valve? Or a better question is how to make sure given this is the first time I've ever looked inside this engine?

So, am I better off letting my friend, who has experience with helicoils, do this with a Timesert or, doing it myself? I'm moderately mechanically inclined(though I screwed this up).:doh:

Also, after watching Dean's video again, I see something different about what I experienced that I'm wondering is the cause of my leaking issue. In the video, the gasket stayed on the head. When I took my cover off, the gasket came with it. Might that have been the problem since the oil was leaking from between the head and the gasket?

And should I find a new gasket and replace it?

And if so, do I just lay it on or do I need to do something to seal it?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I want to get this right.:cheers:

Thanks again everyone !
  20. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    In the video the seal was broken between the gasket & top, and also the gasket and cylinder. It just happened to be laying on the cylinder when I filmed it.

Mine leaked a little bit after assembly, maybe a 1/4 teaspoon, then stopped. If you can get a gasket by all means see if that helps but the old one should work.

I'd get someone else mechanically involved for a second opinion, at least to do the timesert. By this time tomorrow you will know if your dealer can help before the weekend.