1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Well I couldn't help myself - 1983 500 XC

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Motosportz, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Getting better every day. Chipping away at it. Addressing a lot of little things. Like how it is coming along. Fun bike.

[IMG]
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Lectron has been around for 40 years. I don't want to turn this into a Lectron sales add but you can get them from Lectron or better yet me :>) Why me? I have been working for about a year on making them application specific to our motorcycles and many motorcycles. Have implemented many changes and revisions to make it fit and work better. Lectron has been great to work with. Anyway I pulled my stock carb needle to lean it and found the needle slightly deformed and looks warn. Probably a good reason it has the mid range gargle. The Lectron will work a bunch better just because it is new but I also believe it will do very nice things for how it runs and MPG based on my work, customer feedback, and the percentage of happy customers in over direct 200 sales. These things work, are EZ to tune and have many advantage all while being very simple. Simple and effective is a great combo.
    Rossik likes this.
  3. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE
    Great, that's basically the kind of info was looking for.
    I will get mine together with the stock carb and see how it runs, and then I'll most likely look to get one of those as well as a modern ignition in the very near future....thx
  4. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Lectron has specs for most bikes built since they started selling carbs 40 years ago. When I got one for my '77 Penton/KTM 400 they put the recommended needle in it and it was perfect.
    Rossik likes this.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Yep.

This showed up today, this is going to be really fun...

[IMG]

Got several metering rods to experiment with and sort out. Expecting big gains in how it runs and responds as well as milage.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Rossik likes this.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    [IMG]

Did just fine against the modern iron. I'm really liking this funny bike and it is working well for me as is and still has a lot of potential to get better.

[IMG]
    Rossik and juicypips like this.
  7. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    To give it that real "horn" look, cut your side panels right back to show all that "air" under the guard.... or chuck em completely and make a neat alloy guard for the pipe and muffler side.

I rekon the naked look really suits these old twin shockers, really shows the travel in the rear.

Everyone over here is chucking yellow springs on to give better performance. I haven't a budget for that yet!
    Rossik likes this.
  8. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE

:)) and I thought I was the only one who likes to see as much air between the guard and the rubber......actually been thinking about trimming my side plates a bit....just nervous I might screw it up and trash the £60 they cost me
  9. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    mate has a moto villa 350 and that has neat wrap around sidecovers over the top shock mounts and exhaust, the rest is fresh air...looks sensational! the husky and a boxcutter have a date coming up soon as I can find a set of spare sidecovers. I may be tempted to risk life and limb and race it again so I need to keep an original pair handy before artistically revealing the airbox:D
    Motosportz and Rossik like this.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Man my husky likes me today. New carb, cable, and throttle, new clutch cable, new plastic, new stickers. Getting nice and presentable.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    454x likes this.
  12. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Luv them big bore huskies:cheers::thumbsup::applause:
  13. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    the milk trucks love nice white plastic...
  14. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    excellent!
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Hi, my name is Kelly and I'm addicted to working on my bike. :) Probably why I have managed 22 years of marriage, my wife always misses me ha ha ha. Anyway, it seems I have spent every spare second of every evening working on this bike. Its fun. I got a lot of crap laying around my shop and keep finding ways to get it on the beast. Shes really coming around. Motor runs perfect as far as i can tell. As above, Lectron installed, start EZ idles perfect runs snappy. So kinda done there for now. So addressed the ergonomics as the bars in your lap old school feel killed me in the woods when I wanted to stand. Had some fatbar mounts from a KX500 that I made work, mounted up some vintage original fatbar gold Answer Protapers, new grips and new handguards. Looks and feels so much more modern and to my liking for what I ride. Then I installed a new chain and sprockets it desperately needed and it rolls so much nicer and is so quiet. Funny. Terrycable clutch cable came in so I tossed a new school clutch perch with fancy quick adjuster and new cable on. Way better. new rear tire as the 15 year old bald dez tire was not doing it for me :>) Looking forward to the next ride, going to be much improved.

[IMG]

I feel like a motorcycle rescue volunteer sometimes.

Before...

[IMG]
    mkfox, suprize and Xcuvator like this.
  16. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    So, now that you got it sorted out.......isn't it time to rip it apart & powder coat the frame, & so it never ends.....lol
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Ha ha that really is the eye sore at this time. Might get a nice rattle can job soon and maybe someday a real paintjob. To busy riding it.
  18. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    just keep riding it, you can lounge queen it anytime you like:thumbsup:
  19. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm sure it is so much fun to ride that pulling it apart is the last thing ya wanna do. I don't blame ya at all.....ride it!
  20. mkfox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Greeves Griffon
    Would give it 100 likes if the computer would let me. I am new to Huskys, but I do know that from all of information I have gathered from being on this site every day, the 1983's are the most beautiful Husky creation to me.:thumbsup:
    Momudder and oldbikedude like this.