1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Well I couldn't help myself - 1983 500 XC

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Motosportz, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    As for your mid range jetting...if it has the 44mm and not the later 40mm carb, those 500s were notorious for that mid range blubber, Husky went to a smaller 40mm after '83 because it was nearly impossible to get it to run right. There was a "secret" special needle jet for that 44mm carb, but I cant recall what number it was now. If you have a Lectron on the way, personally, I would not waste any time fiddling with the Mikuni.
  2. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    At some point you should check out the swingarm pivot. My 82 CR250 has been reinforce at least once, and needs it again on the chain side as the mount wallows out before long.....no doubt a 500 gives it an even harder workout :eek: As I recall this was a common fix back in the day.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

it is a little wallered out. Will be fixing that some day. Is there a reason the swingarm bolt had a nut on each end? Would rather weld one end so I can just tighten one side.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Kinda what I was thinking after riding a good amount of old big bore 2 strokes. Big part of the reason I want to explore the Lectron for these bikes.
  5. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many do sing their praises, but I know quite a few people now who will never buy another set of them.

I will tell you how I decided RT Emulators didnt really do anything. I had ridden several bikes with them and every one felt very harsh in the mid range of the fork stroke, and just overall too stiff on the damping. At the first Unadilla vintage race in 2012 I borrowed Craig Hayes' '82 250WR for the cross country race. I raced the bike to a 2nd overall. After the race, he asked me how I liked the suspension and I said "It was fine". I weigh 150lbs and Craig is at least 350lbs, so I thought he was asking if it was too stiff, then he said "Its got Emulators in the forks". After thinking about it, those forks, which were the only forks I had ever ridden with Emulators that I did NOT think were worse than stock forks, were absolutely nothing special and if fact felt just like stock Husky forks. I decided then the best Emulators would do is get you back to stock performance, and that was after Craig spend months dialing in the pop off spring rate a pre-load ending up FAR off the settings Race Tech recommends. If the best you can out of Emulators get is what Craig got, then most people end up with far worse than stock. This is the bike.

[IMG]
  6. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    thanks for sharing...nothing beats real world experience
  7. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, keep in mind I am admittedly in a distinct minority, almost everyone will tell you they are fantastic.
  8. WayneL Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR400 88 WR125 84 AE500 &13 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GS and R80G/S PD
    Don't mean to hijack your thread Kelly...

My experience with Gold Valves (insert your own slang term) is limited to 2 bikes and 83 XC250 and an 84 AE500.

Each time I gave my suspension to a reputable suspension guru. He did work for the Husky importer in Australia years ago, tunes a lot of peoples suspension in Australia and has travelled the world tuning suspension for people but mainly superbike teams.

The 250 just had a service as the springs were already correct, the 500 needed springs and a service.

I believe you can notice the difference pushing on the forks and when riding, but just my opinion. 83 - 84 vintage forks are pretty basic tools standard.

My specification for set up was 'I need to be able to hit sh#t at speed' and I weigh 'x'.

I get the front forks and rear shocks serviced at the same time - it makes a hell of a difference to have a balanced motorbike. expensive yes, but you get what you pay for.

Now technically I haven't done a true test of the emulators by themselves, so they could be a placebo, the mind is a powerful tool (the argument could go both ways) but I doubt it.

A bad set up with or without emulators is still a bad setup.

Carby
    My AE500 runs a 38mm Mikuni standard and is set up to the original Paul Rooney settings to keep the beast cool (rich). Kelly i'm sure you're a whiz at setting up carbys; but you may not want it to be crisp in the mid-range to help keep control of the beast :)
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Not at all man, post away. :thumbsup:

Maybe I should say clean all the way through. Right now it is a blubbering pig in the middle. Also runs on some. Starts great, idles perfect, good clean hard pulling low end. Then you hit the mid (which on most bikes is still the low end :>) and it just gargles along. Its not horrible but its not good. Then hits the top end and the afterburners are peeked and it rips. I just want one smooth transition. I have seen this condition on many old big bore air cooled bikes. My old CR480 and YZ 465 I got dialed pretty good but had a little of it. I;m thinking the Lectron with its one linear fuel circuit (metering rod) might smooth this way out as is does with smaller modern bikes. I also like the idea of the quick adjust top end circuit on the Lectron for dunes days. Can hardly wait to try it.
  10. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I agree the mind is a powerful thing, that is why the incident at Unadilla convinced me. I had no idea the bike had Emulators in it, so I had no preconceived idea of how good or bad it should have worked. I thought it was a stock Husky fork, and thats exactly what it felt like to me. If I had got off the bike thinking it was superior to what I was expecting, and then he told me it had Emulators, then I would have come to the opposite conclusion, that they work great.
  11. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    It will for sure clean up that mid range blubber, thats what Lectron carbs do best on these old bikes.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I'm actually very excited to try it. What kind of MPG do these bikes get in trail and enduro mode?
  13. WayneL Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR400 88 WR125 84 AE500 &13 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GS and R80G/S PD
    Enduros in Australia use to be Around 80klm (50 miles) between fuel stops, which they managed easily.
  14. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm curious what riding area this is ? I need to expand my riding areas.
  15. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    isn't there a DIY fork mod on Andy's 300WR thread ???
  16. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    apparently replacing the old forks with the last evo forks is a big improvement. you can run a disc as well.

If you want to be pre 85 legal, you can grind off the disc mounts and weld back in the rib to give that old slider look...
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Tillamook forest.
  18. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE
  19. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE
  20. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    ive had no drama with stockers but im a size 9 and i rebushed and resprung them back to new
    Rossik likes this.