Trick to reconnect fuel line?

Discussion in '610/630' started by mjskier, Oct 17, 2014.

1. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    I'm not sure if my fuel line swelled up because of crappy gas, but I can't put it back all the way in on the connector tube on the throttle body.
    I squeeze on the side, just like when I disconnected it, but I can still see about 20mm of the copper tube on the throttle body. The locking mechanism isn't getting past the small ridge on that tube.
    Do you have to squeeze the sides just like when taking it off, or is there some other secret handshake?

On the plus side, I know my fuel pump works pretty well because the pressure at wide open made the line pull out. Good thing the bike didn't catch fire because there was furl everywhere!!
  2. Busted RS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630, WR300 '09
    Other Motorcycles:
    DT360A's
    Have a good look at the brass tube and inside the end of the fuel line the ensure there is no debris stopping it going fully on. Also squeeze both white buttons on the hose end and check both retainers inside the hose are retracting when you squeeze the buttons.If those are good, and you are pushing the hose on straight, you very well may have some kind of damage to the hose. Mine requires firm pressure to reconnect, even with the buttons depressed.
  3. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    You don't squeeze anything when putting the line back on. Just push until it clicks.

mekanik likes this.
  4. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    Yes, the locking mechanism is chewed up. I can feel it click, but then when I pull on the hose it comes off. There is enough fuel pressure at wide open to cause it to come off.
    In the end it doesn't matter because while experimenting with pulling I snapped the other end. So new fuel line either way.
    Anybody knows how to separate the fuel line from the fuel pump assembly? It doesn't look that obvious from a customary look. Do I have to take the fuel pump out of the tank?
  5. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
  6. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    Thanks for that link. Worked like a charm.
    It looks like that mechanism is a little bit beat up too. When you push the black plastic ring toward the fuel pump it depresses 4 small plastic tabs that hold the fuel line connector in, causing them to retract. One of the tab is broken.
    I think the 3 remaining ones will still hold the line in place but this is causing my OCD to kick in. Any place to get that small plastic part from? The part list just shows the entire fuel pump.
  7. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
  8. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    You might contact Safari tanks (Just Gas Tanks) to see if they have any spare fuel lines for their tanks. It's longer than stock but you could make it work.

9. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Looks to me like the minimum order is 100, so that may make them inexpensive enough and I'm sure many here would go in on that...myself included.
  10. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    I can't read. It is 100 pieces, not 1000.
    I'm on the phone with Safari Tanks (thanks DynoBob) and they do have some, but the guy I talked to needs to ask his boss about pricing (since they usually come with the tank)
    If that doesn't pan out, show of hand, who would buy one set (or more) from me? I would have to order 100 of each, and would probably keep a few.
    Depending on shipping I'm thinking it would probably be around $7 for one set, $3 for each additional set (shipping included) I'd probably have a bunch of leftovers to try to sell on ebay.
  11. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    If they are, say, less than 10 bucks a set I'd buy at least two. Hell I might need a set now myself...mines not acting too normal so it may be about to crap out. Thank you for looking into this.
  12. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    Here's another thread to check out:

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/te-610-ie-fuel-fittings-help.287/

It suggests the fuel pump fittings are also used by Sherco, you may be able to contact Ryan Young to order a single replacement.

On my TE610 both of the petcocks on my fuel pump have been replaced - two different mechanics, at different shops, broke a plastic elbow and then replaced it with a brass one, suggesting this is a common point of failure.
  13. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    Thanks Jon. I saw that thread earlier and tried to digest it. A bit hard since some of the references are old enough that the pics are not available anymore.
    But looking at the pics that are available, the 610 has quick releases on the fuel pump side. The 630 doesn't:

610:

[IMG]

So that's why they can use a sherco connector in its place:

[IMG]

and then just connect the quick release connector that looks like the one the 630 has on the TB side.
    On the 630, we probably have something that looks like the short fat side with o-rings on the connector above, where you plug in the connector below.
    I wonder if that's L-shaped Chinese connector can be printed on a 3-d printer. I have a coworker with one. I would need to provide him with a 3-d design. But I'm not sure these printed parts can withstand 70psi.

[IMG]

I assume the threading and taping might work if we can find an L shaped fitting that looks a bit like this, provided that we can find one where the non-threaded side fits inside the fuel line.
    So this needs a but more investigating...

[IMG]
  14. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    Got it. Yep. Quite different from the TE610. But if the TE630 pump has a plastic base it may not be possible to put in a brass fitting.

Here's my rather misfit pump:

[IMG]
  15. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    Yes, the 630 plate is all plastic. Somebody should take one apart and report if there is anything metal to thread into :D

[IMG]
  16. Stiles Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Triumph Sprint ST
    I know this is a years old thread, but did anyone ever order these parts? My 2008 SM610 has weak clips in the fuel line connectors and two of them will pull off by hand when completely seated, so i'm in the market for at least two new connectors.
  17. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    I ended up getting a replacement from safari tanks, so I didn't pursue the bulk order.
    Check with Halls-Cycle too. Maybe they are back in stock. https://www.halls-cycles.com/

And finally, now that SWM are distributed in the US, you could check with them too (Their RS650 is essentially a rebirth of the TE-630) https://www.motomandistributing.com