TE 610 IE fuel fittings - HELP

Discussion in '610/630' started by BendEuroMoto, Sep 2, 2008.

1. BendEuroMoto Husqvarna
    A Class

Hello everyone,

A customer broke his fuel fitting off of the bottom of the fuel pump on his TE 610. This happened during the BMW/husky transition and we could not even look up the part. I gave him my fuel tank because he had just bought the bike from my shop and I hate to see a guy not get to ride the bike he just dropped 8 large on.

I found out a week ago that the fitting does not come without buying the whole backordered $500 fuel pump. I figured I could upgrade the fitting like we do on our Ducati's to chrome plated brass. No luck. It is a pressed in fitting not threaded like most.

Has anyone had a fitting break? Husqvarna will not warranty this because it broke in a fall. I sure one of you other dealers have replaced one of the pumps, or are waiting for a pump.

Ducati, BMW, and Triumph all used cheap fuel fitings from CPC fittings. When they break we get the brass ones and replace them, problem solved.
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
  3. mrkartoom Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE610, 15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Beta Rev
    This is good to know. I know some are replacing the line quick-disconnects (that leak and don't seal like they are supposed to) with the Ducati/Aprilia style, but this would be a PITA if this breaks. Looks like several others have done this as well.
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Are you referring to sites other than that thread? If so I'd like to know about it.
  5. BendEuroMoto Husqvarna
    A Class

can't glue them, that would be wrong.

Fuel injection fittings need to have positive mechical connections or they can fail. A 45 to 60 PSI leak is seriously bad. Any fix that I do to this bike must be completly safe and as if it came that way. I am picky about this sort of thing.

I will consider threading the hole and putting in a metal insert, like a Timesert in the right size for a Ducati fuel fitting. Or I could make an aluminum or stainless fitting just like the one that broke and press it back in its place. I think if I did that I would just put a injection type hose barb and use a clamp. Thats worked on 1000's of bike and cars. I am not a fan of quick disconnects for fuel tanks. The only advantage to them is that they are dry break.

Another option is to try and fit an external fuel pump with an external filter. I would hook this to the lines of a 2007 carbureted TE 610 tank from IMS that holds enough gas to actually ride the thing. I can think of several European bikes that have external fuel pumps and I can come up with something for the fuel recirculation.

The last two options are to get the fuel pump, when it is off back order, and insist to Husqvarna that they goodwill it to me since the bike is still technically a demo bike and I kept a customer bike on the road.
  6. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/mikunifuelpump1.php
    one of these with rated hose from the intake manifold to pump it. or put a Bing fuel pump on it!!

add a '07 IMS 5 gal tank.

$300 bucks and its good to go.

There are specialty 'high output' fuel pumps for the guys who race Rhinos/UTVs etc.. Just FYI.

Mikuni has 3 output sizes. The big question is how much pressure does the Husky EFI need?

KTM Rally bikes, Husaberg aux. tanks, quads, UTV's, etc. have been using this set up for many years.

I know you know all this stuff, just thought i would post it so its on here for guys in the future wanting to adapt a 5 gallon tank.

If all else fails i have a Keihin FCR for sale...:)
  7. bass_on_tap Husqvarna
    B Class

Here is what I found from my friend Spanker on another site.
    My new mod to the sucky OEM fuel line going from the fuel pump to the elbow at the top of the crankcase. As '08 owners are aware, the check valve in the OEM line shuts when it feels like it. I got tired of a lap-full of gas and implemented the Motion Pro QD fitting; works like a champ. 5/16" fuel line works great.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  8. mrkartoom Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE610, 15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Beta Rev
    The thread you referenced had others there that broke the fitting in the pump (besides member wsmc666). Plenty of discussion on advrider about the problem with the in-line connectors leaking in the 610 owners sign-in thread, but this was the first I'd heard of this problem.
  9. mrkartoom Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE610, 15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Beta Rev
    These connectors seal better than what Husky uses, but these plastic versions have a history of breaking when stressed (disconnecting). 90 degree versions came on my Aprilia and while I didn't have the problem, they broke so frequently that they finally did a recall to replace with metal versions.
  10. T Eastwood Husqvarna
    B Class

Fuel Pump

I drilled out the end of the pump threded it with a fine 8mm then drilled a hole through a bolt cut off the head of the bolt locktited it into the pump then I put a one way fuel valve in the fuel line working fine
  11. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    According to the TT thread its a Sherco part, Sherco part number 0805 (Shercos have short part numbers) and is described as "PETROL BOMB PIPETTE PART.

A UK dealer has used this part and been successful although this is against the factory recommendations and would void any related warranty. We have asked for this part to be made available but we are told that it cannot be supplied on the grounds of safety.

Dave
  12. Nesbocaj Husqvarna
    A Class

13. Circus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Where did you get this fuel inection hose and those fittings (part numbers)?
  14. mrkartoom Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE610, 15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Beta Rev
    Any automotive store should have high pressure gas line. The plastic fittings can be found at any Ducati dealer, but they can break. If you want metal ones that won't break go here:
    http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp

They have the plastic ones on that page as well.
  15. 1lunger Husqvarna
    AA Class

Wasn't George from uptight doing some fix for these?
  16. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    George built an outboard mount for Mike Kay's 610. Sort of a one-off but not sure.
  17. 1lunger Husqvarna
    AA Class

He did my buddy's tank too.
  18. Circus Husqvarna
    AA Class

19. mrkartoom Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE610, 15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Beta Rev
    If the ID is 5/16" then those would work. AF1 Racing has the plastic ones for the same price. They also have the 1/4" ID. The metal ones are more $$$, but they don't list the ID. You could call and find out. http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=7507

If you use that first link I posted and do a search for "quick disconnect" you'll see them all. For some reason the link didn't resolve back to my search page.
  20. Circus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks mrkartoom -- that link is much better. To be clear, the fittings you are referring to are inline fittings, and NOT the fitting that attaches to the bottom of the tank, correct? Or am I missing something?