TR650 Mods

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Toyboy, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Terramack Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    i'm really starting to like this thread.

Cheers
  2. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    Oooh yummy! How far into the penny jar must one dig for this setup? Very nice!
    jugglingogre likes this.
  3. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Had Big D Motorsports in Woodland Park CO do the MOSS treatment today. They reflashed the ecu, the stepper motor and the mixer. Didnt have riding gear but the tech tested and said it was perfect now. No stumbles anymore. Ryan, the tech, is just back from school on the Terra and had the opportunity to tear the engine all the way down and back again. They compared it to the bmw 650 and there are lots of internal differences, especially in a better oiling system. He did say that the ecu would know if the evap system was missing but not sure if leaving the servo in place would fool it. Monday the rack fabrication begins! By the way Big D Motorsports is Five Star all the way!

One more thing. Ryan said that setting the valves in class took six hours the first time. Lots of things to take apart but maybe five hours next time. After the first set they are good for 20 k. Good stuff.
  4. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    6 hours...OUCH! I wonder if Clymer or anyone else will have a shop manual for the TR? I guess BMW and/or KTM should have one available soon.
  5. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    I am very lucky to be only 9 miles from Big D Motorsports. They are a top notch dealer. If I remember right, your bike was a no start situation when you brought it in to Big D's, so I am a little concerned as to what happened in the first place? Did Ryan say anything about it?

Monday is right around the corner Ken.....I am soooo ready!:D
  6. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    It was a loose battery connection! Always check the simple things first! Terminals felt tight with a screwdriver but were loose anyway. The MOSS identified that fault right off the bat. See you Monday morning after breakfast. I will call you from Grandmothers Cafe in WP when I finish there.
  7. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Fab time! Here is the start. Kickstand extension with Husky logo!
    image.jpg
  8. IPA Brewer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Multistrada, KTM 690E
    Here are pics of a windscreen from a old Multistrada that I think might be serviceable for the TR. Note the nylon stand-offs that I can trim to adjust the angle of attack. Next step is to trim it some to get rid of the original mounting holes etc.

I gave it a quick ride and it pushes the air up to about mid-helmet, about what I expected, and should making riding at speed more enjoyable.

Anyone have experience cutting Lexan?

Thanks
    Rich in PLacitas

screen 1.jpg screen 2.jpg screen 3.jpg
  9. Highfive Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE390, BMW F800GS
    Looks nice, Rich. Maybe a bit short. Let us know how the turbulence is on your head. I just hate buffeting noise on my head. I've gone back to the drawing board with my mod. Still trying to solve it. In meantime, the clean smooth air without any shield has been the best option.

Lexan should cut fine with a dremmel. Use a thin cutting wheel and test cut a little off the one of the lower corners. That won't hurt anything and gives you a little practice. Then, you should be able to finish sand it by hand with either fine sand paper or emory cloth. I've done this several times.

HF
  10. IPA Brewer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Multistrada, KTM 690E
    Thanks HF I'll give the dremel a try. I wound it up to about 65 with no buffeting, will see what it does at 80.
  11. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    How naughty is that ! Not to mention practical, some nasty little teeth to hook up with your deployment foot......marvelous!
  12. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    It's funny you mention that...it's very similar to what Ken said. It's just so cool and totally worth the risk to me! At least if I get cut up it will be by my own hand.:D.

We promised a thread, and we will get to it, but were very busy yesterday getting set up and putting our heads together and making sure we were on the same page. I did get more done on the rear racks for my bike and Ken turned the mounting lugs for the racks.

Ken is welcome here anytime!
  13. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    Well, i was certainly seeing it from the more practicaL stand point. Just seemed those little teeth would give your deployment foot something to dig into, more ease of operation. Most ingenious!
  14. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    I'm diggin it!
  15. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sorry fleche, I misunderstood. Cutting my leg wide open was the first thing to come to mind since Ken mentioned it. These racks should be done today.
    image.jpg
    HARDER1 likes this.
  16. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    I think a good many folk looking forward to seeing what direction you're heading with these. Also hoping you'll manage enough time to add wings to the Motosportz bash plate. Anyhow, all tid bits appreciated, lovin' it thus far, may the welding gods be with you!
    FabOneUp likes this.
  17. cbxtc6 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger, GTS, Duc
    Here's my windshield ver2.0 (lexan, handcut/bent), handguards(Hus), gps, and powerlet outlet - cover closed, just visible left dash, behind the white windshield 'holder'. There's still room over near there for my to-be-installled heated grips switch.

[IMG]
  18. Tel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GSA
    Has anyone installed the OEM heated grips?
  19. Mark Regier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra
    Love the energy y'all are putting into the mods for this new bike. Just wondering if anyone has contemplated a fork/shock swap. I've seen some nice suspension set-ups resulting from guys picking up yamaha/honda forks off ebay (would need to be 46mm for the tr, I believe), but I'm not sure how to be sure the brake mounts would line up properly. I've changed fork seals, bushings, and oil, but never a complete swap-- seems like the only way to get more than 7.5 inches of travel out of a TR650. Again, I'm a little out of my league here, so I'm hoping some of you dirt bike guys can enlighten me (or just get me started).

Anyone else want to address this major (but only) shortcoming of the TR's with me?
    FabOneUp and fleche phoenix like this.
  20. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    I'm not the bloke to answer the question, but it's my biggest gripe with the bike, especially the front end. Though i might go as far to say oil weight and springs could go a long way to improve the Terra's off road ability. Seems to be a fine line between shorter travel for good road manners, and enough legs to soak up the off road excursions. Non adjustable doesn't make much sense on a DS period either end of the scale.
    I'm sure it won't be long till someone hones in on a practical solution.
    FabOneUp likes this.