TR650 Mods

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Toyboy, Nov 5, 2012.

1. IPA Brewer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Multistrada, KTM 690E
    Good ol' PJs!
  2. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    How is the bump up in rear wheel working for you? Any fit or handling issues?

Did you ever get a SuperSprox for the rear? I tried to get one for my old KLR in the red/black combo but they said I could only get it in gold (for the KLR). I think I am going to get a red/black one for the TR...just gotta figure out what year/model GS the TR is like.
    HuskyDude likes this.
  3. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    I haven't had a chance to ride much since returning from the TERRAFORMERS trip so can't honestly give a report. I do know that I hit a 4" high square edge of concrete (road repair that wasn't marked or protected with an asphalt rampy) and no problem. Going about thirty at impact and I'm glad I had my tires aired up. 'Really expcted to cut a tire or tube on that one. The rear does look fine a bit wider, but I wonder how hard it will be to spread the bead if I get a flat in the bush somewhere. There are some tools made to hold the bead open and I may need those. A wider rim is better for road work as it spreads the tire contact patch to the tire designers intention. More contact, probably less wear too.

As for the Supersprox, I just posted about that on another thread. I'm still looking for a solid confirmation on which 650GS to target as a match. TouraTech sez G650GS. May have to just go ahead and order something to find out if it works.
  4. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I had the same trouble trying to locate one for my GG finally found one here @ Supersprox EU didn't care for the gold ones.
  5. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    I have ordered the 49 tooth sprocket from Touratech should be in by Saturday.....also ordered a MSR folding tip shifter for $20......we'll see
  6. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have they TT folding tip shifter and it works fine. It is also just a little longer than the stock lever.
  7. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Renthal page mentions their 'hard ano' rear sprockets fit Terra/Strada:

Part No
    127A-520-46P-HA STANDARD, 46T HARD ANODISED
    127A-520-47P-HA STANDARD, 47T HARD ANODISED

No 'Red' though :D Those are the same Renthal offers for BMW G650GS and OLDER single-cylinder F650GS (up to 2007), but NOT for the twin F650GS nor F800GS. Also those for BMW F650 XChallenge/Xmoto/Xcountry do NOT fit (and its a pity as there are some really good sprockets offered for those bikes, i.e. Ironman).

Assuming the above - Supersprox offer 47/49/50 rear for single-cylinder F650GS (and supposedly - Terra).

Hope that helps.
    Kenneth Webb likes this.
  8. Chuffa Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT250
    Everyone knows a fitted sheepskin seat cover is nice, but pricey eh?

A trip to the local charity shop and I found an (unused) baby crib sheepskin underlay for $20. Trim to size, a couple of dye packs & some sewing assistance from "she who must be obeyed"... and I've got myself a dirt cheap sheepskin seat cover. It's not a perfect job by any means but it stays in place, keeps the seat cool & feels very nice indeed.

[IMG]

The rear rack plate is a B&B.
  9. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    :D...I think I like it.
  10. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
  11. Chuffa Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT250
    I received & fitted my B&B radiator guard today. This is one of their 2nd batch - they changed the design to increase airflow.

It uses the existing radiator mounting bolts at the top & B&B provide bolts to secure the base to the push clips on the fairing. Very easy.

[IMG]

It comes with spacers to change the angle of the front fender to provide more clearance.

[IMG]

It looks like a great bit of kit.

[IMG]

I'm happy.:applause:
    Ol'NumNuts, FabOneUp and Kenneth Webb like this.
  12. Highfive Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE390, BMW F800GS
    Nice....paint it black. I was wondering if a spacer would work. Been pondering that, but not messed around with it to see.

Also, been thinking about the plastic radiator mounts. Considering to make a wrap around metal strap that cradles the radiator and comes together at the metal frame mounts on top.....bolt thru and pinch together as you snug the mount bolt. One wrap around strap for each side. This would give the radiator two narrow steel cradles to sit in....for extra support. It would never allow the radiator to move downward, thus reinforcing the plastic mounts.

Make sense?

HF
  13. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Another option that I've considered but not looked into is to fabricate a brace from the lower radiator mounts to the frame. I don't think it would be able to prevent damage in the case of a bad fall, but would sure help support and stabilize the radiator. In conjunction with some good crash bars I think the radiator would be secure. I sure like the way my Safari tanks protect radiators on my other bikes. No option for that on the Terra.

I'm not worried about what may happen if I wad it up at 60 mph but rather protecting things for those inevitable spills at lower speeds when you get crossed up or loose it in the mud or sand. Without a real knobby on the rear that seems likely. I'm fairly concerned about such a thing up on Hunter Mountain in DV, where I'll be in March, because the road will pretty muddy from Winter snows, and I will probably be using the stock Sahara rear.
  14. Highfive Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    That idea has real merit, Ken. Better yet, why not just weld a length of angle iron to the frame beneath center of radiator to serve as a support brace? Something for the radiator to sit on. The plastic mounts are sturdy. I only worry about the pounding they take from the bike vertically bouncing and jumping.

Knobbies would be better, of course. But I've ridden some rather nasty stuff on these Saharas so far, and been quite surprised that I had no problems. Talking very long steep climbs in serious rocky gully muddy conditions. She tractored right along....and with 30 psi in the tires (I forget to air down). Bear in mind, I'm a long time Trials rider experienced with keeping the feet on the pegs and applying bar & peg pressure with good balance. Lots of folks are quick to blame the tires for their inability to conquer terrain, when in fact it's often their riding technique (or lack thereof).

I think you'll be fine. Biggest concern might be the sidewall thickness. Someone mentioned they looked thin and more prone to slicing. Though, I've heard of no one experiencing such occurrence yet. A thick stiff sidewall is always good insurance "out there".

So, here's the deal: if you're going to be "thinking about the tires" while you're riding.....change them now. It ain't worth the grief occupying a space in your mind that could otherwise be filled with more pleasurable moments along the trail. Best to keep the mental focus pointed out front. Just sayin,

HF
    FabOneUp and HuskyDude like this.
  15. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    HF, good brace idea. I'll have to get down on the floor under the bike today and take a look at that. 'Wish Fab's shop was closer than 1100 miles away! Maybe it's time to consider buying a welder. Supporting, rather than just bracing, the radiator bottom would be excellent. Right now I'm supposed to lead a ride in DV that includes miles and miles of just brutal washboard. You either ride very very slow and pound yourself silly softly at low frequency and low amplitude, or ride fast enough to smooth it out and risk wadding it up. I'll be leading a noob group and something in between will be more likely. Not radiator friendly! I may just use the TE630 for that day instead of the Terra, but I really want to get the Terra dirty to see how it handles.

Saharas are new to me and I don't know how they respond to pressure. That is, I don't know if the sidewall is very stiff or not. Good to hear that they are pretty good, but in mud? The lugs are substantially lower when new compared to a Mefo Explorer that is on my rack and waiting for it's turn on one bike or another. I was on brand new 606's last year on Hunter Mountain and it felt pretty damn slippery up there. I think I'm going to experiment with the Sahara in DV anyway, then make a mostly pavement and gravel ride in the Texas Hill Country in April before changing to a Dunlop 908RR that I ordered yesterday for my Colorado foray in July and August. I really wish Dunlop made a D606 in 140 size. I run a 606 130 on my TE630, but that bike is a lot lighter than the 650. The 908RR seems to be the best alternative when you want some grip and need to include a fair amount of pavement in your ride. TKC80's brand new look like a half worn out 606 or 908k, and still give me a little less than 3000 miles before the knob height is down to almost nothing.

Tires, along with everything else in life, is a compromise, isn't it!
  16. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    That's a good reminder on the radiator weakness and a great idea for a simple support. It's something us dirt riders need to do. The evidence is more than clear all the way back to flèche's first ride way back in October or November when he got home and found his radiator vibrated loose and was rubbing his fender. It could have been a lot worse. Radiator guards will be nice, but we will still have an unsolved issue here.

As for the tires...most of us here who would have had any issues with the Sahara's have pulled them off long before we could have any. The rear tire is not so much of an issue...it's the front. Anyone here who has removed it can vouch for me that it is very light and thin.

Your input and experience is very much appreciated and I am glad you are here Highfive! :). Oh...and can you please tell Ken he needs a welder! :D. You are welcome at my shop anytime Ken.....but you know how to use a welder and I can't believe you don't have one!
  17. Highfive Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ken...go buy a mig! Just get it over with. Shocking what all you'll use it for.

Hobart 140 Handler is only $450 at my local Atwoods Farm & Ranch, and runs terrific on my household 110V - 20amp wall socket. I was in the same boat as you, and finally purchased one about 6 weeks ago. Sheeeez.....why didn't I do this YEARS back ? ?

It's almost as much fun as getting a new bike. Add them both at the same time....Double Ho-chi-momma!!

HF

Ps. Heidenau K60's would be another excellent choice for a true "in-between" tire on the Terra or Strada. Excellent smoothness on the road and surprisingly not too bad offroad, though I'm still puzzled how. VERY stiff and strong sidewall...all over, actually. Been running them on my F800GS with tremendous success and loooong mileage. Had over 8,000 miles on the first K60 rear tire, before swapping out. Trying a front K60 also, this time around. Never had a flat with them yet. Caution: they'll be tough to work with small tire irons on the trail, because the sidewalks are so stiff. But then again, you may never have to, because the sidewalks are so stiff. Think I'll be spooning a set of these on my Terra when I wear out (or destroy) the OEM Saharas.

I would definitely prefer D606 in knobbies, given then choice. I've had lots of TKC experience.....expensive tires, soft compound for good grip, but also wear out way to fast (due to soft rubber). They are trashed out on my bikes by 3,000 miles.
  18. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    HF, I'm going to have to do it. But after being exposed to Fab's setup with Mig, Tig, Plasma Cutter, etc., it's difficult to settle for less. Miller had a sale going on in Colorado Springs for some of their really nice 2013 welders and it was all I could do to refrain from buying one and throwing it in the back of the truck before returning to Texas. A nice welding helmet and a couple of pairs of gloves did go home with me. If I go ahead with my Garagemajal and sell my house, I'll have the spare funds to do it all. Need that tube bender, notching tool, sheet metal brake, and some welding lessons/practice. Tig isn't as easy as Mig, plus there are so many options; pulse or not, frequency, temp....I've always wanted to go down to the local community college and take some welding courses. I can lay down a decent bead with stick or Mig and managed to stick a few pieces of metal together with Tig, but getting that stacked dime effect is a bit of art. Tig welds are so damn strong!

On trailside tire repairs, I've been very luck over the past few years with the Tubliss system. The Terra though, can't use those. Motion Pro makes some really nice portable bead breakers and I think I'll order a set. http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0519/ Mefo's and Heidi's are a b itch to break loose. Somewhere I saw a tool to hold the bead away from the rim so that the tube can be pulled out in order to apply a patch. 'Can't find them now. With the wider rim on the Terra (my new rear rim is even wider now that I laced on Excels), trying to pull the bead away and fish the tube would be very very difficult I think. With a little practice and patience, this can be done with the tire on the bike, saving a lot of time on the side of the trail.
  19. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    It going to be very difficult for new readers to sifted through this thread and just pick out the TR/Strata Mods...in the future. Going on 10 pagers now...:eek:

(I think I'll order up a set of those Motion Pro bead breakers very nice.):D
  20. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ol'NumNuts likes this.