TR650 luggage options

Discussion in 'TR650' started by nev.., Jan 23, 2013.

1. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    I hope my factory bags show up. I have been looking at options just in case. 31L Touratech and 38L Trax from SW Motech...way more money $1500 and $1100 before you start buying locks liners ect.
  2. Mootak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Part # for bags is not available to order yet from Husky. I doubt anyone has them in stock.

Later,
    Jeff Tasky
  3. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Yeah, lack of a part number aside, I'm not sold on the factory panniers without seeing them. They just don't look like they would pass the "I dropped my bike twice on the trail today" test.
  4. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    I've just received factory accessories update from my dealer. Top-boxes and their mounting plates are still not available, but side boxes with rack are now available. If anyone wants them - ask your dealer NOW.

I'm staying with soft luggage:

[IMG]

Commuting idea still sucks big time... Need to invent something quick-closing and quick-locking.
  5. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Yep, that is my biggest battle. When I'm home, it is hard not to take this one to work everyday. I can fit my gear, and bring a keg home with ease.

[IMG]

But I want to take the TRAILS home, not the roads. I need a good commuting solution before I get back stateside in June.
    HuskyDude, nev.. and mario33 like this.
  6. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Lol, nice set-up. But I like splitting lanes too much :D

I bet small, light, locking top-box might be best. Removable when on the move outside town. Problem is I like it alu so it needs a rear rack, much stronger than stock plastic one. And I'm not a welder, I cant fab it up as easy as Mr FabOneUp seems to... For the time being noone makes a good rear rack that I like... I have that one little beauty at home waiting to get fixed...

[IMG]
  7. xplodee Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Monster 1100s, Hawk GT, Honda S90
    Just wanted to post a pic of my TR650 with newly installed Givi V46 tail bag. I used the Givi universal mount kit to install it on top of the stock Husky rack. I will say that I'm disappointed by the Husky rack being plastic but I'll just wait it out until someone makes a readily accessible steel version. The Givi universal mount bolted simply to the top of the stock rack without any modifications needed. Total cost was around $400 including back pad.

[IMG]
    Untitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr
  8. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Husqvarna never intended that rack to be used for any more than a pillion handrail or a place to carry a small toolbag etc. The OEM luggage (if it ever becomes available) replaces the plastic rack. The first time I looked at the bike, the plastic rack was the single thing which stuck out to me as being inadequate, however anecdotal evidence shows (the fact that so many people in cafehusky and advrider have mounted luggage plates and luggage onto this rack) that it must be much stronger than it appears. Still, I have no need for anything more than a small tailbag with a few tools on my rack so it's quite adequate for my needs.
  9. macntatsch Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 500 EXC, '07 FJR1300

xplodee beat me to posting photos... I have the exact set up. Just got back from a weekend in Death Valley. Bumped into Kenneth Webb out there. Givi top case was loaded up with 10-15 pounds of tools, water, food, camera, etc.

I suggest you take this as a data point and not a recomendation... I rode about 700 miles total, 50-75 was gravel roads in various states of maintenance, and no signs of stress to the plastic rack. I am still planning to buy or fabricate a steel rack to replace the plastic but it has performed beyond my expectations.
  10. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    If you look real close in the accessories book, the factory soft tail bag is fairly good sized and uses the plastic rack. It says "with support" but to me it looks like the only support is maybe a rigid bottom on the bag. If they're selling that with the logo on it, I would have to believe that they were confident the stock plastic was durable. I think I may look into fabricating a steel or aluminum one before I do any big camping trips, unless a viable option presents itself by then.
  11. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Yeah, but the replacement rack will be exclusively available as a set with plastic topbox. which I dont need... I asked my dealer twice - you CANT buy rack alone.

True. Also checked that twice - its just a plate added on top of the plastic rack. Not really rigid enough I need it (for alu topbox support).
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    This matches my thoughts, and testing, as well. Though I've only had any weight on in it while on smooth (mostly) paved roads.
  13. xplodee Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Monster 1100s, Hawk GT, Honda S90
    I'm really happy to hear that the stock rack seems ok for now. Unfortunately it's been a solid 35-45deg since I got my bike so I still haven't been able to put more than 60 miles on it. sad :(
  14. hudler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    I know some of you have had good results with the Wolfman soft luggage and I have a couple of questions about some of their stuff. I am mostly interested in getting a tail bag to bomb around town with and get a few groceries etc. I really like the Wolf tail pack, it looks easy to attach with bungies and to remove while I am at work for security reasons. I wonder how this pack would work with the Terra's stock plastic tail rack? Could you use the pack to go on a weekend trip or would you guys be concerned the bungie attatch system would not be secure enough for highway travel? I could get a pack that attaches on with straps for more secure mounting, but would that take alot of time to remove everyday at work? I think 30-40 L capacity is about right and if I need something smaller I could always get a tank bag later and use the tail bag for weekend trips.
  15. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Just waiting for Leo.

:popcorn:
  16. Leo Fisher Cafe Husky - Contributing Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Honda and Norton
    OK, here is the link to my website http://www.nutznbolts.com/the_husqvarna.htm which has some photos before heading out for a day in the dirt. Here are some from just that. They worked great! The 'Laguna' series from First Gear available on-line at Cycle Gear or sometimes, in their store. There are a variety of mounting options but I found the best to be using the straps - not the suction cups as they come off once the dust gets under them.
    We went through some serious washboard and rocks, tree stumps etc and they held just fine. The tank bag features two options for mounting your GPS as well although when in use, it's a bit low unless you're using the flat option and standing on the pegs. Expandable to hold a ton of stuff. Here's a link to First Gear's Laguna Stuff http://4wheelonline.com/motorcycle/First_Gear_Laguna_Series_Luggage.202690

Cheers,

Leo

2013-04-05_11-45-34_506.jpg

downsized_0405131244.jpg
    Lekolite, nev.., hudler and 1 other person like this.
  17. Leo Fisher Cafe Husky - Contributing Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Honda and Norton
    OK, here are some photos to help explain the versatility of these bags!

Tail Bag - Side pockets.jpg The tail bag has nice pockets on each side of the bag - full length.

Tail bag interior and expands!.jpg The inside of the tail bag is finished nicely

Expandable zipper and rain cover zipper - Tail bag.jpg The tail bag has two zipper on the back that undo to 1.) Expand and 2.) Rain Cover

Tank bag interior.jpg The tank bag is about half again as large as the tail bag and expands more - Separates into just a map holder for the tank and a backpack More on next post - I hate 'limits' :-)
    Lekolite and hudler like this.
  18. Leo Fisher Cafe Husky - Contributing Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Honda and Norton
    Inside plastic cover for documents or plastic ties.jpg Oh, I forgot - The inside of the tail bag has a nice clear closure for documents - and zip ties :-)

Interior tank bag - Handy pockets on both interior sides.jpg The inside of the tank bag had interior zippers for more 'stuff'

Zipp off bag for just a map and the rest makes into backpack.jpg Zip off map holder for tank

Backpack option.jpg The backpack option
    Lekolite likes this.
  19. Leo Fisher Cafe Husky - Contributing Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Honda and Norton
    Shows the two GPS holders or whatever.jpg OK, these are the two available spots to put your GPS. One for when standing and the other when seated. Handy but I carry other stuff as my GPS will be on the bars.

Option for sticking sides - Suction or magnets  .jpg Here you can see the various options for using this on other bikes - Suction on all four corners or magnets - or a combination thereof.

Flaps folded under - I use them this way.jpg I keep them folder under the bag since the suction cups come off with the dust and vibration

Unzip to expand.jpg This bag also expands - It is rather copious when open. So far, I've kept it zipped into the smaller position
    Lekolite likes this.
  20. Leo Fisher Cafe Husky - Contributing Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Honda and Norton
    Copious interior space when unzipped.jpg Here it is opened up. Check product's website to see the liter size change

OK, that's a wrap up of photos - I like it - and would recommend it to a friend. This was my first pounding with it so all of this information is based on that - Not a year of using it.

I hope this helps!