TR650 luggage options

Discussion in 'TR650' started by nev.., Jan 23, 2013.

1. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Thank You.
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/totes?productId=10034767&N=71235 1000041
    $18 each
    Part number: 10060083, 46.6 Quarts.

It holds a box inside of it that is 17" long, 13" wide, and 10 1/2" tall.

My temporary, possibly permanent, solution to get groceries. I made a list of all the stuff I normally buy throughout the month, found a cardboard box that simulated my needs, then took that box to the "Container Store". It has a foam lip so it seals reasonably well.

I have had zero problems on ultra smooth roads with lots of curves with more weight in it than I probably should have had - though I'm very careful to set things up so they do not move around inside of the box.

After thinking long and hard about it, for me, it would not be possible to fit large bulky boxy things that I need to get at the grocery store frequently into soft luggage.

DSC_4179.JPG

My apologies to those that are on the metric system...
  3. Bark Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    I just finished installing a Pelican 1450 onto the back of my Terra. I pulled the rack off to lay it out and mounted the box as far forward as I could. If you look under the rack, there are hex shaped pockets to capture the heads of mounting bolts, I didn't realize this, and the 5/16" X 18 stainless bolts I used fit the pockets by accident. I then used fender washers on the outside and inside of the case, with a rubber washer on the inside, and held it all together with wingnuts on the inside. On the first ride, with no weight, I noticed the box bouncing and vibrating a lot, I'll keep an eye on it and give an update if I see anything bad happening to the rack...I'm considering using some 1/8"x 3/4" aluminum strap under the rear two rack mounting bolts, out to the rear of the rack to brace it a bit better, if it seems like its necessary.

PicasaSync.jpg PicasaSync (2).jpg PicasaSync (1).jpg
    roscotom and Coffee like this.
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Good input Bark. Might want to test getting the seat on/off with that on there if that is important to you... though you obviously could unload whatever you have in the box and take the box of if you ever needed to do that.
  5. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    I bit the bullet and bought the frames which Andy Strapz makes for his Expedition Panniers. They only have two mounting points, the rear mount for the luggage rack, and the mount on the pillion peg holder. They're designed specifically for his panniers which are supported by the straps over the seat, not by the frames, so the frames are there just to keep the panniers out of the back wheel. Because soft panniers have a habit of always wanting to hang inward towards the wheel, he makes the frames angled somewhat so that the bags will sit pretty well vertically.
    There is a little bit of lateral movement if you grab the bottom rearward end of the frame, which is unsupported, but it would probably take quite some force to bend it into the pipe. I might think about some angled tube which can clamp to each side of the rear of these frames to provide a bit of lateral support, but I'm not a hard core rider so I don't think i'll be giving them too much punishment. I loaded them up with a light load and took the bike for a testride, aiming for every pothole and corrugation on the road I could find. Couldn't see any initial signs of fatigue or any sign of them having moved from their original mount point, so I'm pretty happy with them.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Because they mount underneath the rear mount of the stock rack, they really lift the rack off the back of the tail light, where the stock rack is almost touching at that point.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

These racks are made locally in Melbourne, Australia, by http://www.andystrapz.com/
    Unfortunately for people outside Australia, because of the current exchange rates being so favourable to the Australian Dollar, the cost, plus shipping to nth America or Europe is probably going to be pretty prohibitive compared to anything manufactured locally. He currently has no US distributor for this gear but he is working on that. Aside from the racks and bags he makes some really great stuff.
    HuskyDude likes this.
  6. Bark Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Coffee, good catch. I made sure to mount the box as far forward as I could while still getting the seat off easily, definitely glad I caught that constraint before I started drilling holes.
    HuskyDude likes this.
  7. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    Gave up on factory bags and ordered SW Motech out of Germany............will run trekkers or maybe Trax panniers........
  8. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    The Andystrapz bags are very similar in rack construction to Dirtbagz, which I've used on many offroad bikes in a punishing environment.
    The principles are the same and they hold up really well. Dirtbagz don't currently have a TR650 offering though...
    nev.. likes this.
  9. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Yep, those bags in the pics I've been giving them pretty good use for the the past 6 years on 3 different bikes. They'll last another 60 by the looks of them. The stitching on them, even at the most stressed points is still all 100% intact. Andy loves his bikes and going adv riding and gives all his products a thorough workout himself before releasing them to the public.
  10. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    Wolfman advertisement ;)

Their E-12 Saddlebags, small Expedition tank bag, and Motion Pro tool pack.
    Not shown is the Dirtbagz duffel that carries gear for overnighters.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Ever since seeing the same color combo Touratech handguards here I decided to give them a try.
    A bit expensive and all plastic, compared to the Cycra CRM I prefer....but solid once bolted together.

[IMG]
    Lekolite and HuskyDude like this.
  11. Lekolite Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Did you ever receive them?
  12. Lekolite Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    I would love to see your setup once it is done. I want some luggage but hate to mess up the sleek Italian design with big side cases.
  13. Lekolite Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Called them, they don't actually have any of it!
    Toyboy likes this.
  14. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    NO on the factory bags....I don't think they will ever show up. I have had a set on order since January and just gave up. I have ordered SW motech from twisted throttle and have a ETA on the mounts of 5/15/13. My black 37L Trax box's are on the way. I have a 5/27/13 date on the centerstand.
  15. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Like Blakebird, I often use my Wolfman enduro bags. I think mine are the earlier version of the E-12 and perhaps a tad smaller. They hold a lot, and along with a duffel, or even the Wolfman Beta bag, you can pack a lot.

But, for long trips, or for carrying a load on rough roads, you just can't beat racks and saddle bags to keep the load low. I try to keep the duffel as light as possible (extra riding gear, etc.) except when camping. Then, all the camping gear goes in the duffel for quick access and deployment. Let's hope Berg gets his Wolfman racks designed and in production soon. Of course, I already have mine! It will be fun to see how close Fab and I came to what Berg comes up with.
    Beemermcr likes this.
  16. Allen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda NH750
    How much would you say these pannier racks weigh?
  17. Beemermcr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra - "Burro"
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 BMW 1200 GSA, 2000 DRZ400e
    Iirc@15lbs -
  18. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Ventura have announced a range of touring gear for the TR650.
    Nothing on their website yet, but a page template has been created which I guess will be populated as parts come online.
    http://www.ventura-bike.com/fitments.aspx?modelid=1242

There are some pics on this site
    http://www.bikesales.com.au/riding-...tr650-terra-and-tr650-strada-tough-rack-36211

I'm not a fan of how far back it sits, way way back behind the pillion seat and the tail of the bike. I guess they design it with two up riding in mind, which might be a bit strange for this bike.
  19. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well my Trax 37L box's showed up with my black body work last night........Now all I need is some mounts.....This summer is going to be fun....
  20. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    RWW, did you order the matching SW-Motech racks?