TR650 expected longevity / mileage post thread

Discussion in 'TR650' started by RuggedExposure, Feb 9, 2014.

1. RuggedExposure Now with more rugged!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '08 Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350
    With my Terra getting close to 10k miles (or I may have hit it already, not sure), and the bike not even being a year old, I am beginning to wonder how long I can realistically expect to have this bike as a commuter.

-Is it reasonable to expect 100k miles out of this engine?
    -How does it perform in the BMW counterparts with the different head?
    -Anyone have an idea on what the most miles anyone has achieved with this 650?
    -How many miles do you have on your Terra so far?

When I get home I'll verify my miles and post them. At this rate I'm looking at 11-12k miles a year on this bike.
    tweber and ray_ray like this.
  2. Steve Hards Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I have seen rental F650 singles (with the "standard" Rotax engine) get to almost 100K miles and still perform well. There are a couple of non-rental bikes on our local NZ "trading" website with over 100,000 K's. I don't think engine longevity will be the reason why TR650 owners will not be able to ride ( or want to get rid of ) their bikes.
    Moff69 and eca like this.
  3. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    I'd say the more off road the bike sees, the quicker the rest of the bike will wear out. Suspension will wear beyond usable limits and need replacement (fork tubes/shock shaft). Swing arm pivots in frame will elongate. Head tube will stretch as well. If it's 100k miles of pavement, it shouldn't be a problem. 100k miles of fire roads, then it'll take some effort to keep things together.
    ray_ray and snail_72 like this.
  4. Stefan NZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 TERRA 701E
    I have now done 23,000km (or about 15,000 miles) and the motor is still sweet. A large portion of my mileage is off road work.
    I haven't even had the valve clearances checked yet! I'm going to have this done within the next couple of months.

I certainly hope these bikes do keep ticking along; I love them. Once some of the weight has been taken off and the bike is set up for adventure exploring, they really are a great bike.
  5. tweber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zippo
    25,873 miles.....my valves need checking again, starting it up takes more time. Every time it hits 4000 rpm on the head the engine makes whining noise. My gut is saying it needs valve help fast or a motor bearing is going. Took wuka off for a week now and no stalling! To Dealer next week for the checkup
  6. tweber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zippo
    28,000 miles needs swingarm bearings + front fork is getting louder clicking. Motor still makes good power
    LED, glitch_oz, Ogre_fl and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    I was told that if I did not do the Pod Mod I would certainly suffer irreparable engine damage and my bike engine wouldn't last long.
    I have no Pod Mod and I am still only at 5000 km, but I have suffered many other issues except the fabled engine damage I was told to expect.
    How long is a piece of string, the engine is good, probably too good for the junk that is built around it.
    I expect electrical failure before anything else, purely because the bike is built in Italy and my last Italian bike (Ducati) was an electrical disaster, but maybe the BMW electrical fittings will prove better.
  8. MotocycleWriter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650, TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150RT, BMW R100GS
    The engine is definitely the best part of this bike. Some parts look to have been sourced from Taiwan. The heat treat on the bolts are crap. Those Torx head screws are like butter. The original handlebars were made of spaghetti. Still, love the bike. Great design. Mediocre execution. Still a fun machine that chews up and spits out DRs with little effort.
    tweber and PaulC like this.
  9. Craig Hashey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1984 Harley FXWG, 2003 Harley FLSTS
    35K Miles all on pavement. No valve adjustments. Still fires right up every morning and afternoon first try and gets 60 mpg. Other than that just typical maintenance. Getting close to need a third set of tires.
    dmw_az, Mal and PaulC like this.
  10. ozav8r Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150GS, BMWK1200RS
    Not trying to be a smartarse or anything, but just curious how you manage to reduce weight, while setting it up with luggage / extra fuel etc.? I would have thought the two were mutually exclusive....?
  11. rj95lss Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    XL500R

I am curious too, seriously.

Ideas from other bikes I have had: gutted single side exhaust maybe, cutoff passenger peg mounts, Excel wheels with lighter hubs tubeless, and removal of charcoal stuff?
  12. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Just curious. Who's winning this particular race (highest mileage)? I am sitting at just under 12k miles--though I haven't actually looked since last summer. Still loving the bike and ready for riding season.
  13. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    26000k's. Almost on 7th rear and 6th front tyre. Engine oil changed ever 10k (with very expensive Motul 300V). Valves not checked yet. Still runs very well. Just replaced all wheel bearings (outer cushe drive was the only real problem). Does not seem to use oil.
  14. tweber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zippo
    43,407 miles....orginal clutch is still good and starts up on first try still.
    Still makes the good power...about 1/2 qt oil loss every oil change now.
    Maybe I should do a valve check again.
    PaulC, nev.. and Ogre_fl like this.
  15. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Only 30,000km here and just replaced the rings to sort out a glazed bore (user error!). Goes like a rocket and makes me smile still.
  16. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    About 36,000 Kim's.
    3D air box mod @ 3,500. Valve check & adjustment, Pulstar plugs & service @ 20,000.
    The thing is a ball tearer, uses no oil & no issues at all.
    DeLewis likes this.
  17. LainattheWired Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    2014 65,000 miles. Just keeps getting better.
    Coffee, FER QUILES, CarstenB and 6 others like this.
  18. 1650bullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

45000kms I brought it with 44000kms on it. I havnt check the valve clearances yet, but the service history shows that its been checked. I cant hear anything abnormal, but im sure its all good.
  19. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    This is all very encouraging!!!

I'm just about to roll over 10k miles so I've got LOTS of great riding ahead on this bike. I still love it and see almost no replacements out there except possibly the latest Husky 701 with the twin balance shaft engine.
  20. FER QUILES Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLE500, HONDA NX650
    Plus up to 56.000km. no oil burning, just too engine vives in the range 100km/h. it could be engine chain or valves.. someone else with same problem?. I am really pleasant TERRA works. mileage 4 liters 100km