1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Tires whats the hot ticket lately?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Have you thought about a tire conditioner that softens tires and rubber. Drag race or circle track guys use them all the time. Softens rubber well (VHT) - (PJ1) make a traction compound that softens rubber.

The tire conditioner below is something you put on and than wrap the tire in plastic wrap overnight.

This stuff below, is for the tire itself,( circle trackers use it ) Outlawed at some or most tracks and they even have a sniffer device to check for such use and some products claim cannot be detected by these tracks sniffers. but we used it or a similar product to wipe the drag slicks on my race car at the start of every season to get that last few passes out of a set of Goodyears or Hoosiers. Than use traction compound to lay down some rubber. Before breaking down during test and tune and buying a new set. I'm glad I don't do that anymore.

Might be worth a try. What do you have to lose at this point.
    Allstar Performance Competitive Edge Tire Conditioner - 1 Gallon

[IMG]
    Click on image to zoom

Your Selected Product

Pricing: $49.99
    Qty:
    Add to CartAdd to WishlistItem InquiryTell a Friend
    Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailMore Sharing Services?
    (0) Reviews: Write first review
    SKU: ALL78105
    [IMG]
    Availability: Same Day Shipping!
    Shipping: Ships from Michigan

Description

Chemically treats and softens race tires to increase traction without making tires greasy. Apply race day or night before on new or old tires, can be used on the inside or outside. One gallon container treats 4 to 6 tires.
    ray_ray likes this.
  2. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Haha, $50 to fix a $35 tire.
  3. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    just get the right one, its not worth struggling it on the rim or your safety at this point to save 40 dollars. get a good tire.
  4. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Got to return them for a full refund.
    reveille and justintendo like this.
  5. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Gee sorry fellas. I thought Bigbill had got himself stuck with a whole bunch of these hard tires. Since he has been quite busy restoring several vintage bikes recently.

I can tell so much thought went into the comment ("Haha $50 to soften a $35 tire").

By the way if any one bothered to read the last line on the add I posted for this product, between your laughter. A gallon treats 4 to 6 racecar size tires. Which are usually fairly large, last time I checked.

So a 1 gallon can would probably soften about 30 cycle tires minimum. Especially If your stuck with the things and there's no option to return them.

Not such a bad deal after all for all you non-readers.
  6. adam6402 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    We read quite well, still darn funny! Who needs more chemicals around the shop anyway. And I don't think Bill wants to be slapping this stuff on lots of tires.

Bill, when are you going to start a build thread, we need pictures of all that you have going on! Just do one t
    Big Timmy and justintendo like this.
  7. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    If I was stuck with them I'm going to do a slot car moto gp setup for the grandson I have the rocket streetbikes, dirt bikes, slot skate boarders ect he's 4yo. I'd cut the tires in thirds for overpasses over the track. I may do that with the old tires?
  8. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    After reading only ~1 page here, tires threads are oil threads in disguise it seems ... But results on tires might should valid results that should apply across the board on the same terrain types for most all riders ..

That wriggle slick in a can sounds like it might have promise ... But it has to be tested for dirt ... Maybe do some rubber types mixing? Maybe softer-sidewalls and harder knobs or vice-versa?

--

bBill, only 5 pages here to understand ... If all this data was written down in a spreadsheet, might be a little easier to get a grasp of ... Other than that, which way are you swinging on the tires? I'm with the IRC VolcaNduro, front and rear, 18, 19, and 21 inchers. Its not the home brand around your parts but it pretty much rules here on the trails and smaller CC bikes ... The 4fitty true racer guys don't run them on the tracks as they just won't last but a couple races before they are toasted ...

--

That VE-35F 21 incher seems to have some sidewall flex with < 20 LBS air, if you like that feeling when entering turns ..
  9. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The three front tires arrived.

Mitas stone crusher,,,, looks like a trellborg,barum it reeks quality.

Pirelli this one is old school but is it really I think it's the number 1 of the three.

Bridgestone again another good looking front tire there both tied for second place.

I have for the rear so far,

Irc m5b 140-18 very large knobby, very aggressive looking tire. (Looks big for the 250?)
    Not sure if I should run a 130-18?

Irc vulcanduro 5.10-17 again aggressive I ran these before. (430/cr)

Third rear tire not sure yet??

They all look good. My search for parts is winding down. Time to dig out the frames to wash and paint them. After the Easter holiday ill sort out the parts and do inventory. I'll shoot pics all the way.

I have more questions but that's another post. Thanks for bringing me back up to speed I been away or out of the loop for over a decade. With tires the guys who ride a lot of race in the past I notice with the NETRA guys what's the hot tire last year might not be so hot or the pick for this year.

Two decades ago everyone in NETRA was running a Dunlop rear tire. I can't remember the number. It was a intermediate tire. It had triangle shaped knobs on both sides.
    justintendo likes this.
  10. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    The Pirelli looks like an old school tire, but the carcass and compound (which are FAR more important than tread pattern) are totally modern.
    justintendo likes this.
  11. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 360 wr/rt, 75 wr250 78 cr250,
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    I like the pirelli too. I'm looking for a 530x17 for my 430. Has anyone found these around?
  12. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    Good luck BB, probably would not be a bad idea to get with some local club guys that ride in your area to ask about tires and compare riding terrains and such. Terrain varies state to state , woods to track conditions, there is so many variables .
  13. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

14. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I have the Pirelli mt-16 front.
  15. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Look at Chaparral at the irc tires.
  16. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    watch it disonny big ass tires and early 430 clutch's dont mix :eek: if you have the steel basket your good:thumbsup:
  17. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 360 wr/rt, 75 wr250 78 cr250,
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    Thanks troy, I'll have to check the basket.
  18. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The 5.10-17 is what I ran on the 78/79 cr390. Never had a clutch problem. I let the tire spin.

19. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
  20. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The tires I purchased were maxxis. The stone eater is the front mitas tire I purchased. Hard as a rock old. This mitas is a stone king. The stone king is a dot tire. The stone eater is a dot tire too. I have the lights and Speedo for the 250. The midnight rides on my legal 98 husqvarna was fun wheeling past the Harley bars. I loved hearing the popcorn in the pipe get more and more intense as the front wheel came up. The little kids liked the bike but the babes liked the graphics. The 98 was a chick magnet somewhat.

I'd like to see more mitas/trellborgs listed. These trellborg rear tires chewed up the average and never showed that much wear.

My 84 still has the original trellborg on the front.

I just ordered a second irc ve33 17" for my third husqvarna. I have six new tires. The ve33 from Chaparral is $65. These ve33 have large knobbie too. I have a m5b 140-80-18" kind of big for the 250?