1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Tires whats the hot ticket lately?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Michelin S12
  2. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    someone needs to standup and make a tire with a taller than 3/4" knob that rule only applies to MX/SX no such thing in off roar world if for no other reason than wear:thumbsup:
  3. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    I'm building up a 360 in a 73 WR frame for scrambling this year, typically most of our tracks have a loto grass on them and this is the tyre that does the job.
  4. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    I will second the S12. I have run those since they came out. First on the BSA B50MX and then on the 73 CCM. Stunning tyre (English spelling !).
    For green laning and enduro use I prefer the old Trelleborg Army special 644 (now made by Mitas). The 17" version is brilliant. Almost as soft as a trials tyre but has the depth of an enduro one. For the Husky's front I use the Metzler 6 days.
  5. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    wish GT & Mitas would get a US distributor:banana:
  6. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    mitas really needs one..it seems they purposely dont want it for some reason. they make alot of dual sport tires people want as well.
  7. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    We always want what we can't have.
  8. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i got my mitas winter frictions anyway, just had to ship them from latvia via ebay. just would be easier to have a us distributor instead of a canadian place gouging people marking a set of tires up 200 bucks..they use the old trelleborg mold and compound. they are that good of a winter spiked tire people will pay or go thru the hassle. whats weird is that even tho they came from latvia, i had them in four days from the time i ordered.
  9. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    Canadian???? i bet the hozer keeps a pile of them in the basement
    justintendo likes this.
  10. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    I'm buying all 100 tires from ZipTy when they come in and sell them to the highest bidders on EBAY!.:busted:
    Actually I only need 2.
    Tinken and troy deck like this.
  11. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a Pair of S 12's en route. They seem to be the standard that everything is compared to, and really don't have any bad reviews. I have never ridden them, however I'm about to.
    justintendo likes this.
  12. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I dont like them at all. I found them to be very good in sand or mud but marginal everywhere else, I can feel the knobs squirming around on hardpack. The first set of S12s I got I was expecting them to be very good, not only were they not good, the knobs started shredding off on the second ride. I tried one set and that will be the one and only set for me. I know I am in a distinct minority, but it completely baffles me when I read the rave reviews of S12s.
    Big Timmy likes this.
  13. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Same here Kartwheel68. I shredded a set of the Michelin S12 Cross Comps in 2 rides and took them off. The front tire had the side knobs cracking away, chunking and splitting. Rear tires knobs were worn down like crazy from the little bit of hard pack and slag rocks here near the old smelter pile.
    A place I usually stay away from as the mining security trucks will chase you off.
    I do mostly intermediate and rock filled sand washes riding here. The rear was Ok in the sandwashes but noticeably suffered after the knobs started chunking and rounded off after the first good ride.
  14. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    That is exactly the type of terrain I don't ride on so I would suggest that you check with the local hot shots use where you ride!
  15. endurokids Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250WRX, CR167, 83 430WR, TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    75 Guzzi 850T
    In Wisconsin and Illinois I prefer the Dunlop MX 51's. We use them on all of our bikes, old and new.
    We have used the AT 81's lately but like the old MX 51's better.
    We would try the MX 52 if Dunlop would make it in an 18" tire. :thumbsdown:
    2premo likes this.
  16. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I just put mitas tire in the ebay search box and not far is a seller named moto_race in Wilbraham Mass. The same name as used to come on trellborg tires as a sticker and the same name as a fellow club member used to work at. I couldn't find any ten masters rear tire not sure if that was the one that came as a light or not. Might be worth the effort to contact this guy or gal or company. How about this one a stone eater tire, that is right up there with vulconduro for naming success. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitas-C-17-...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58bef26fd2

For me a new tire is pretty impressive. If you ride on your own property things are looked at a bit different than if you ride on a closed course (or any course) that you pay for an entry fee and there are trophies. The difference seems significant when conditions are not dry.
  17. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    in Wisconsin and Illinois you use a different tire than somebody in a rock pit in Arizona
    that is a better explanation of your tire choice
    when i ride in the loam in the Sierra Nevada range in N. California the S-12 works great!
    when i ride in N. Nevada and SoCal i prefer the M5B on the rear and either the Metzler Unicross or an M-12 on the front
    we all have opinions but we all have different terrains
    same manufacturer makes 3 different almost identical tires
    tall hard knobs for loose (mud to loam) useless on hard pack,, wide knobs don't grab
    soft short tighter tread (like trials) great on rock and hardback but useless in mud (they fill up and won't self clean)
    when i say different almost identical use Michelin as an example they had 3 S- tires for different applications
    hard tires are for soft terrain and soft tires are for hard terrain
    that said they are all a compromise to different terrains
    riding in the trees to open areas as in many of my rides the Unicross on the front gives a DECENT traction in most settings
    but when i am only in loam i use the Michelin S-12
    the M5B 140-18 works great in soft terrain but is very skitterish on hard pack with sand on top, the Michelin on the rear is even worse in that situation
    there are better tires for hardback but i see so little of it i don't really care
    i typically get about 70-80 hours out of tires, but my terrain is fairly soft too
    i love the comment about the bead locks, yes they were for competition enduro, down side the wheels crack at the holes
    when they did it, it was for competition not to last 35-40 years, i have 3 cracked Nordisk rims from the 80's, but yes they do work
  18. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have Nordisks with pins and no cracks and I have Nordisks with no pins and cracks so I'm not sure that is the cause. I've got several bikes with Sun rims with pins, none of them have cracks. I've also drilled DIDs myself for pins and none of them cracked so far.
  19. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    as i understand it (not all knowing)
    to be competitive you need to reduce unsprung weight, so to keep your rim tough and lighter than the other guy
    you make it thinner and harden it a little more
    from a PURELY competition mindset it did work they reduced a TINY amount of weight but at a cost
    that said winning competition events is not the same as longevity
    Nordisk was the choice they made and harder was the route they took
    funny on your luck, most of the ones i have seen cracked at the drilled holes
  20. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    They didnt do it to reduce weight, although that is a secondary advantage, they did it to do tire changes without having to fight a rim lock. Also with pins you can run lower tire pressure and the tire will not slip at all, where even with a rim lock at low pressures the tire can slip and rip the valve stem out.