Tire testing with Tubliss

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by Chums, Aug 13, 2015.

1. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    So ive hijaked the thread may aswell carry on.
    I am impatient and decided to repair my tubliss bladder with the traditional vulcanising patch, installed and thought lets not install the tyre lets just see if this baby can handle the psi without tyre on the rim too.
    image.jpeg
    Chickend out at 50 psi will check tmorrow see if shes still at pressure but one things for sure this systems fully badass cant even deform the tubliss with fingers at 50psi.
  2. wannab Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501
    Other Motorcycles:
    yz250f. klx140l.
    I may have to get a Tubliss system. I have been on the fence for some time. I did a desert race, here in eastern Washington a couple weeks ago, and ended up with a flat. I swore the next one , I will run a mousse. The cost and longevity don't seem practical to me. A friend of mine, was running a Tubliss, and he blew both tires. He did finish the 100 miles of the race. I made it 13 miles. As a hobby rider, I think the Tubliss is for me. It just seems much more cost effective. This has been a fun topic to watch. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
  3. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wow been a while since i posted progress.
    Firstly you can fix the bladder with vulcanising patches i used prema as i use them for road bicycles and had the best results with these patches, the ones with frilly orange rim.

Secondly sergio the swazicowboy is awesome i recieved a replacment bladder and a tee shirt! Chaching
    So fitted the solid non repaired bladder after 3 days of using it no worries, only replaced it as i thought i feel slightly more confident with a factory sealed unit.

So a week or so of use at 6psi this thing corners on road and off road the tyre is wearing very well aswell so im stoaked cant wait for next enduro i feel i will be slightly more acurate with corner entery.

Get the system you wont regret it.

Oh forgot too mention the new bladder doesnt loose any psi over a week but i still check it every time.
    Big Timmy and bikesparky like this.
  4. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Sweet, glad it worked out.

I'm deciding on a tire for Tubliss rear on the 165. It's a freaking tire eater! Thinking Sedona 907 next and hoping the extra weight will help plant the rear end.
  5. GMP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    '13 Beta 300RR Racing
    Shinko 505 hybrid cheater Tubliss @ 7.5 PSI is awesome in any kind of rocky terrain, wet or dry.

If you guys have wheels with the old Tubliss tape, remove and retape them, and use a new bladder. I have two front wheels like this and the inner bladders on both had long cuts almost halfway through the rubber from the sharp edges of the tape. This is why they changed tape type.

The rubber washer is to keep the bladder off the nut when its inflated. Grease the bladder up good with ArmorAll or silicone grease so it can move in the liner, and make sure everything is smooth and sharp edge free. Before you tape a wheel go over the spoke nipples with a fine file and then clean well. At over 100 PSI an edge or burr will be pushed through the tape.
    NCSteve, bikesparky and lankydoug like this.
  6. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    I chickened out on the 907 after reading some comments about poor cornering in wet stuff. Just got a Sedona 887 and 880 delivered though and going to mount the 887 with Tubliss on the 165. Both are 100/90-19, 887 weighs 11lb 4oz, 880 weighs 11lb 14oz, both made in China. A little on the heavy side, will be interesting what the Metz MC4 weighs. Tubliss 19" weighs 1lb 14oz and yes I got a new dig scale too.
    new sedonas-1.jpg
    :cheers:
    juicypips likes this.
  7. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Surprising, Metz MC4 100/90-19 weighs 11lb 4oz too. I expected it to be lighter. MC4 80/100-21 front only weighs 7lb 7oz :thumbsup:
    Mounted the 887 yesterday. A couple of reviews said it was very tough to mount, some said they had to have it installed and I thought :cry: growaset, htfu or get your little sister to help ya :lol: Now have to say toughest tire I've mounted in recent memory. What's worse Tubliss isn't sealing and I've got a low pressure side leak. Hopefully I don't have to take the bloody thing back off to get it to seal. Also, it's a small tire, seems very narrow, but hoping it has a decent footprint when I get it right.
    juicypips likes this.
  8. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah the lower side walls are a bugger to mount, thats like the cst surge im running.
    Now try installing with a tube an see how many spoon punctures you get.
    Loads n loads of soap i used to install mine.
  9. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Are you talking about lubing the tire with soap or the soapy water for the Tubliss? I used armor all to lube tire and rim, then broke out the heat gun to soften the tire up.
    Only used about 1/2 liter of soapy water for the Tubliss, but it was overflowing from the tire so figured that was enough. Work is getting in the way again, hopefully fix it tonight.
  10. GMP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    '13 Beta 300RR Racing
    Forget the soapy water. Use Armor All for everything. I try lots of stuff and currently use silicone grease on the liner as its fast, generally doesn't need reapplication, and doesn't dry out. The tire will not stick to the liner and dismount is generally easier. With Tubliss, the less force, trauma, and distortion you place on the beads the better chance of a successful one time seal. I use a Baja No Pinch tool for this reason. Keep your spoons and rims free of burrs. The inside edge of the bead is a sealing surface, if it gets dragged over a rock gouge in the rim or with a burred spoon it gets a small cut and your screwed. in this case clean everything up with contact cleaner and try Slime as a lube/sealer. It can seal up these small leaks. It tends to build up in small spots on the inside of the rim so clean it up on dismount.
    lankydoug and NCSteve like this.
  11. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Don't get armour all in UK, so I use soapy water.
  12. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
  13. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    juicypips likes this.
  14. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    So I expect that to last an entire lifetime of tubliss mounting.
    On a side note the replacement bladder hasn't lost any psi since installing it a few weeks back!
  15. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    I don't know juicy, I spray it on just about everything (not brakes, seat or grips ;) ) and use a couple of big bottles a year I guess. Back in my MX days it was common especially to spray the underside of fenders and tires to keep mud and crud from sticking.

The Tubliss bladder on my 300 leaked down for a couple of weeks, then stopped. Problem is if you check the pressure it lets out @ 10psi and have to pump it up anyway :doh:
  16. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well I've ordered the armour all, see if it's up to scratch. I used simondz silicone back too black on underside fenders etc. There's one by putoline too that's good at keeping crud off. I hear you bout the pressure check but beto pump has 5" cable and two screws to check and fill I at most loose 2psi when I check.. is for bicycle suspension so it's fairly good.
  17. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Got the Tubliss to seal by deflating, another 1/2 liter of soapy water, bounce it around and all is good.
    Scrubbed the 887 in for about an hour plonking around my place @ 10psi. Then another hour of my usual fire roads and backwoods trails @ 8psi. Today did 2 hours of WFO riding @ 6psi and really like the tire. It works well everywhere, impressed with the cornering and braking especially, brake slides and power slides smooth and easy too. It is small and need to exercise more throttle control to not loose traction, but it's not slowing me down at all.
    887IT-4hrs.jpg
    4 hours has def taken the edge off, but so far it gets a big :thumbsup:
    lankydoug, Big Timmy and juicypips like this.
  18. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    More good info, thanks.
  19. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    I've been weighing all my tires :rolleyes: The overall winner, so far, is my fav IRC VE33.
    5.10-18 = 12.5 lbs
    100/90-19 = 9.75 lbs !
    Sedona 880
    120/100-18 = 14.5 lbs
    100/90-19 = 11.75 lbs
    Sedona 887
    100/90-19 = 11.25 lbs
    Metzeler MC4
    100/90-19 = 11.5 lbs (gonna weigh that again)
    80/100-21 = 7.5 lbs !
    Metzeler MC5
    80/100-21 = soon
    Maxxis EN
    90/90-21 = 9 lbs
    :cheers:
    juicypips likes this.
  20. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    well, if you're weight conscious, don't get the Mountain Hybrid: 15.9lbs for my 18" rear (& 4 flats in 1100miles, but I'm gonna get 2500 miles out of it probably). my GT 216AA fatty 21" is 10.5lbs IIRC, and is now my favorite front tire... in spite of the weight (my old fav was the VE35).

I'm still trying to figure out if I like the Pirelli MT-43 or the Mtn Hybrid best for the rear.
    NCSteve likes this.