Tire testing with Tubliss

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by Chums, Aug 13, 2015.

1. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Great thread!!!

I've been running tubliss rear for a while now and pretty much followed Big Timmy's way aside from the Slime against the inner red thingo and the rim (just fill it with Slime) and l use silicon spray instead of amour all - any difference?

But on the front, l'm about to go a mousse as well, whilst l like the ability to control tyre pressures with UHD's or even a tubliss, l've squared rims and reshaped them back give's me the irrites. Since we pay around $150-200 AU for our mousse's, l don't fancy drilling holes like the pro's do to soften their tyres... so my question is have any of you squared a rim with a front tubliss?
  2. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Interesting, I haven't had any of the issues above. I've raced and ridden all over NC and SC, FLA, GA and VA too. Current setup is Metzeler front with standard Bridgestone tube and Tubliss rear with various tires. I have a long, brutal rock run where I deliberately slammed through many times and have had absolutely no flats. I recently t-boned a downed bike, center punched the engine and frame at speed, bounced completely off the course and no pinches or flats. Maybe I've just been lucky which is fine with me :cheers:
  3. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Finally mounted up the Sedona 907 rear. Nothing new really, but this is 100/90-19 on the 165.
    907-1.jpg
    Scrubbed it in for an hour or so @ 10psi, then took it for a serious ride @ 8psi. This tire rips everywhere, really surprised how well it works in the woods. Unlike the 887 it mounted up fairly easily. Again, I followed basic Tubliss install procedures and this time had no leak down at all.
    Except for the made in China part and the weight I really like this tire. It digs a trench wherever it goes and is very predictable. Unfortunately, I think I can feel the weight out back and have to play with the rear clickers to compensate. I wore the edges off with the 1st ride, so hoping it keeps gripping as it wears. For the money seems like a great all-around tire so far.
    :cheers:
  4. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    It will keep gripping. Mine lasted quite a while. Only thing I noticed is it will get squirrely/unpredictable when pushed hard in turns and you get out on the outside knobs. Mainly on hard pack or hard gravel. Otherwise, it's a great value and hooks up great imho
    NCSteve likes this.
  5. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I had a similar experience with the 907. I went from a MT43 to the 907 and they were very different, I found the way to ride the 907 was to square up corners quickly on the gas and get the bike stood up and drag racing to the next corner ASAP.
  6. ptkatoomer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2020 ktm 300 xc-w, 2020 ktm 500exc
    I've been running it(907) with the tubliss at 5psi and I've been very happy with the performance on my 300.
    NCSteve likes this.
  7. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Which size are you using on the 300?
  8. ptkatoomer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2020 ktm 300 xc-w, 2020 ktm 500exc
    110/100 x18.
  9. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    WHY CAN'T I BUY THIS TYRE IN BLOODY AUSTRALIAAAAA
  10. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    No Sedona tires in Oz?
    For me the Shinko 520 is a better all around tire. The 907 is good in the dry, but spins up too easy in any kind of muck. If it doesn't have a berm it'll come around and will pull the rest of the bike with it. At least it's predictable and can be controlled. More weight on the pegs and to the rear helps. As stated above, best is to square flat turns, keep the throttle on and get upright again. It's got very good forward drive, but not as good as the Metz MC4 it replaced or the VE33 before that. And neither of those spins so easily or get loose in turns. Last ride was at 7 psi and no wallowing in fast turns. It seems to deflect and bounce over rocks and small logs though. My suspension is pretty plush but still adjusting to see if I can get the rear to settle down over obstacles with this tire. And will try 6 psi next. Overall, it's a very tough tire and I like it, but not great for me on the 165 :cheers:
    MotoXImage likes this.
  11. gots_a_sol Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR177
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 250RR
    Has anybody here used the Nuetech Mousses? Thinking about picking up a set since I'm about due for a fresh set of tires.
  12. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Pretty good right up here:
    http://dirtbiketest.com/product-tests/nuetech-nitro-mousse/#1GbUqDZqLZpuXuCa.97
    A quick look and Slaven's has them a little cheaper and has a vid review:
    http://slavensracing.com/shop/nitromousse-by-nuetech/

First thing I notice is they're heavy and a little spendy (I'm light and cheap) and still have typical mousse issues of maintenance and lifespan. For me I don't see any advantage. For serious racing, especially if you have a sponsor and mechanic or if you just have deep pockets, mousse seems like the way to go. Big plus for Nuetech is selection of sizes and Jeff Slavens says they are procucing a chart of proper sizes for specific tires.

MotoXImage and gots_a_sol like this.
  13. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Just tried a Golden Tyre fatty with Tubliss and it ran 35 miles at 11psi before it tore a hole in the sidewall. It's a recurring problem for me with other fronts as well.

Can not plug it of course. The good news is it felt okay the last 4 miles with 0psi in it,

I'm going back to the Bridgestone x30. it seems to be the only tire I can run with tubliss up front that does not tear the bead.
    MotoXImage likes this.
  14. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Need to watch the 216AA fronts now because tons of importers are offering up a bunch of different versions passing them off as the good fatty 90/100 versions. The 90/90 ones tear the knobs off quickly
    MotoXImage likes this.
  15. MotoXImage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 XR 400
    I've puntured 2 front Motoz Mtn Hybrid and one Maxiss desert running 7 to 9lbs with Tubliss. I do ride fast over sharp rocks but I only weigh 153lbs. Never have punctured a rear. I guess I need a tire with more ply's?
  16. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Highly recommend the Metz 6 Days. The 90/90 is a big, tough tire, great traction everywhere, doesn't deflect or do anything stupid. If you ride mostly hard pack get the hard version. The standard one grips well even on off camber, wet, SE woods turns. Works great on the hard pack, rocky fireroads here, but may wear somewhat quickly. We'll see. It's noticably bigger than a Maxxis EN 90/90, which wears better but doesn't handle the SE woods as well, and the Metz rolls over trees, rocks and trail trash easily. :cheers:
  17. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Update on the Sedona 907 on my 165. I like it overall, running 6-7 psi and no rolling on fast fireroads, pretty good traction especially in rock and hard terrain. We're having a wet summer so far and deep woods are soaked. This tire spins and slides out way too much for me in the wet stuff.
    It is pretty controllable and wearing like iron.
    I've got an 880 to mount next which I hope will like the wet woods and not wear too fast on the fireroads and rocks.
    Big Timmy and juicypips like this.
  18. hakkalugi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17' TE150
    Just ordered another battlecross X40 for the rear, im lovin this tire I run from 6-9psi depending on the conditions
    NCSteve likes this.
  19. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Is it working well in the wet stuff for you?
    hakkalugi likes this.
  20. hakkalugi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17' TE150
    In real sloppy mud its not the best but unless your running a crazy spread& incredibly knobby pattern your gonna get some wheel spin. I ride alot of rocks & all it seems to do it rain here now a days im very happy with it, this tire paired with the GT fatty is probably the most predictable combo ive ever run. Im hesitant to try anything els because of how happy I am with both tires. My dad converted to tubliss & runs the same combo tires are me & he couldnt be happier. He rode my bike went home & ordered the same exact setup that evening.

I run about 6psi when its wet ill go up to about 9 when its dry. The front I run as low as possible without pinging the rim in the rocks, usually around 7psi.
    ptkatoomer and NCSteve like this.