Terra-fy your Strada...

Discussion in 'TR650' started by RidingDonkeys, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna Nuda 900R & SM630
    Or Italhusky.com :)
  2. Potomac Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Royal Enfield Bullet w/ Cozy Sidecar
    Yeah talk about confusing, I just got the hardware to give this a try and already dimpled it too. This makes no sense to me when you look at the diagram on ktm-parts. It tells you to order these screws. 15 on here should be the two screws second from the top on Donkeys picture, they are black so it looks like to me that Donkeys put them third from the top. Those went in fine second from the top for me though. 16 should be the third from the top, those will dimple if you crank them down all the way. 12 is the four screws in the holes just below Donkeys picture. So this leaves two sets of holes, the top and bottom ones here, and the parts diagram doesn't even address them.
    Am I missing something here?
    Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 8.00.33 PM.png
  3. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    So here I am, sitting in Moscow on a 0 degree Fahrenheit day, looking around on the online classifieds when I spot a Nuda about two hours outside of town. The exchange rate is damn good, and this thing would be about $3k with only 9,000km on the odometer.

But how in the hell do I get it back to the USA legally? Is it worth it for me to disassemble it and rebuild it as a custom once I get back home?

Decisions.....decisions....

[IMG]
    kiwiape likes this.
  4. DandyDisco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    TU250 SL230. CT110
    Just buy it. Ride it. Then work it out.
  5. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    If the local riding were worth it, I'd do it. Unfortunately, as a diplomat, I'm restricted to Moscow, with any travel outside of Moscow requiring a notification and approval. I literally live where I work. My commute is 20 steps from my apartment to my office building. So riding for me is strictly leisure, and there is nothing leisurely about traffic in Moscow. So for me to buy it and have to worry about selling it in a year, to another diplomat (by law), really feasible. I need to be able to bring it back. What I'm really looking for is a Vostok C364, which is old enough that I wouldn't have to worry about import. But damn, the chance to own a Nuda in the US is so tempting.
  6. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Cuda, Nuda, Wuda!
  7. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Don't think I could resist - even if not rational! No.1 dream bike of mine.
  8. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Come on man! Buy the Nuda :) You might end up with only on in the US and I would just like to see you ride up to th mountains of NC sometime! Ok, might not be worth all the trouble... but what a beautiful machine:thumbsup:
  9. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm doing a lot of research on what it would take to bring it back. It isn't looking good. I might be better off taking it all apart and reassembling it on the other side as a "custom."
  10. -q- Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Ignoring the issue of registering it in the US, is the bike legit at that price? Seems too low, to be true! Doesn't have a number plate in that photo.
  11. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
  12. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
  13. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    If I can get it in the country, I can register it. The problem with motorcycles is that they typically ship crated in your household goods. So the moving company requires all the documentation up front. This is so your entire container of household goods doesn't get held in customs over one motorcycle. However, if I shipped "parts" then I might be good to go. Since that particular model was never sold in the US, I seriously doubt I can legally get it imported. I'd likely have to register it as a "custom" once I get back to NC. Or try my hand at Vermont of SD.
  14. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    Well, you could always consider shipping it as if you are on overland tour. Either to Mexico or Canada. Foreign nationals do it all the time. There's no Carnet Du Passage(transitory import bond) required for North or Central America, unless things have changed. If they ask where you intend taking it. Tell them to the south if entering from the north or vice verse. The over landing community may be able to shed more light on the current standing for Nth/Sth America. If you're a US passport holder they most likely take more interest in that documentation. Maybe try and talk to someone who's recently crossed with foreign plates.
  15. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I've never wanted someone else to buy a motorcycle so badly.
    RidingDonkeys likes this.
  16. rride Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada 650, someday
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F650 Strada, Kawasaki Versys 650
    Comrade! You will never get this chance again in your lifetime.

Get it together and make it happen. All you have to friggin' do is disguise it as a wheelie popping BMW GS800F (a tank and a fender.)

And if they ask you anything about it, remember what Sgt. Shultz said: "I know nothink!"
    Seriously, DO IT! You are in a part of the world that they can change it into a BMW GS800F with the paperwork for less than 37,500 Rubble ($500.)
  17. Chopperbob Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR-650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha XT660Z,Honda Africa Twin
    Just thinking out loud... We looked into keeping bikes in Germany at a place that stores and maintains the bikes for annual trips to ride the Alps. It is very inexpensive. What if you bought the bike, rode it to Germany and stored it there for awhile, until you research your options on importing it to the USA? At least you'd get it into Europe and if nothing else you can use it for an awesome Alps blaster for a few years. You could flip that bike easily in Europe, for a profit, if nothing else!
  18. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    If you register & title it through South Dakota via mail before you pack it, would that be sufficient documentation to get it "back" here?
  19. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm still working it. I've got 18 more months here in Moscow before I move back to the US. There will be other Nudas. I just need to make sure I do this right if I do it. The last thing I want is a Bill Gates 959 on my hands.
  20. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada